Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

That show was a mixed bag.

Sanchez/Claxton and Sicilia/Carvalho were both fine. Borlics vs Curran started slow, but at least Borlics eventually got the finish and looked like a killer in the process. Sadly, the show went downhill from there. Starus vs Campos wasn't much fun to watch, and the eyepoke in the main event marred what was shaping up to be an impressive performance from Bader. 

And dear god, I hope Bellator don't book Bader vs Rampage 2 after their confrontation. I get that they probably need some old Pride legends for the Japan card in December, but I have no desire to see Bader beat up Rampage again. It would be a waste of Bader's prime years. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Are there any viable contenders for Bader at LHW? It feels like he hasn't fought their in a while. 

Not the most exciting main card as Jim said. Bader was cutting through Kongo easily up until the unfortunate ending.

Strauss Vs Campos was terribly boring. I would say it was impressive from Campos that he had such an easy time of it, but really Straus was offering so little that Campos really should have got the submission. 

Carvalho looked good in his win, but looks a little small for featherweight to me, but with wins like this it may not matter. 

Borics made the biggest statement with his win over Curran, Sanchez will be a handful for absolutely anyone in the next round, and it was an unfortunate ending for Gaston Bolanos, that loss could stall him a little, but it's still very early days for him. 

13 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Are there any viable contenders for Bader at LHW? It feels like he hasn't fought their in a while. 

There is Nemkov - https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Vadim-Nemkov-143059

However, it appears that Bader might fight Rizin's Light-Heavyweight Champion in December:

Also, it looks like Fedor vs Rampage might actually be on the cards:

• Paid Members

Those are both the right way to go I think. Bader Vs Rampage does nothing for anybody except give Rampage a pasting on his back. There wouldn't be any doubt over the result. I could see Fedor Vs Rampage going either way. Fedor could knock Jackson out, but I think Rampage still takes a shot better than Fedor at this stage and is the more likely winner. 

On the Grand Prix front, I like the idea for the quarter final draw:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/9/8/20855623/scott-coker-putting-bracketing-of-featherweight-tournament-in-winners-hands

• Paid Members
On 9/9/2019 at 8:25 AM, WeeAl said:

Strauss Vs Campos was terribly boring. I would say it was impressive from Campos that he had such an easy time of it, but really Straus was offering so little that Campos really should have got the submission. 

Felt bad for Straus. It really looked like he has no business still fighting at that level, its still incredible that hes even fighting after that accident he had. Pre-accident Straus would have handled Campos.

I think most people were eyeing up Claxton as the underdog dark horse but i think that spot goes to Borics now. Carvalho is another sleeper who looks the business, SBG have turned him into a McGregor clome on the feet.

Bader/Kongo well... thought Bader looked great until the eye poke, if it was an eye poke. Still it must suck for Kongo to have a no contest then get told you aint getting another crack at it based off the lack of interest.

So Moose vs Machida next weekend?

Since the Lovato Jr loss, Moose has been on a worldwide moaning tour. He first returned to Holland where he went on TV to complain about Coker, Bellator's drug testing, and his own performance (he admitted he was "sleeping-mode" and that cost him). He then went back to America to promote the Machida rematch, where he moaned about people moaning about his moaning. 

If Mousasi enters the cage motivated and with the right game-plan, he should beat Machida with ease. When Mousasi is on, he can make it all look effortless - see for example his fights against Munoz, Sobral and Carvalho. Moreover, the 4 fight win streak that Machida is currently on is nothing to shout about. He shouldn't have gotten the nod from the judges against Andres in Brazil, was taken to the wire by Carvalho, and bested ancient versions of Sonnen and Belfort. However, there have been occasions in Mousasi' career that he has looked sloppy against average opposition and there is a real feeling that fighting isn't that important to him anymore. His interviews in recent months have indicated that he's just going through the motions until his contract runs out. I'll go with Mousasi by decision, but I won't be shocked if it goes the other way, something I would not have said a year ago. 

Elsewhere, I have decided to support Caldwell in the FW GP. The better he does at FW, the better it makes Horiguchi's wins over him look. Yes, I really am that petty. I'm also looking forward to seeing Pitbull vs Archuleta, McKee, and Rogers next weekend. Should be a good night of fights. 

Edited by jimufctna24