Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

3 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Ā 

. If even somewhere around 1-5 percent of fans of his club (I have no idea how big a following his club would have really) decide to either watch it or spend some money to see him, then it's all a plus. That's not even going into the extra press that they'll pick up, which is much more than they will get for not doing this type of thing.Ā 

Ā 

I agree with everything your saying. Just wanted to point out he has 77 caps for England. Thats what makes this a bigger deal as he was an International not just a club player.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Ā 

I agree with everything your saying. Just wanted to point out he has 77 caps for England. Thats what makes this a bigger deal as he was an International not just a club player.

yeh, WeeAl seems to be out of the sporting loop because if you have any kind of passing interest in sports in general in the UK you'll know who James Haskell is. Not just as a sportsmen either, he does a lot of TV punditry, podcasting the whole thing.

• Paid Members

Oh, completely. With each passing year as it gets easier to only watch/listen/read on demand things that you are interested in, I feel I get more out of the loop with a lot of things.

I watch almost no live TV, or listen to live radio (unless there is someone else in the car, then I'll have it on low in the background).Ā 

I very rarely ever have the sports/news channels playing in the background. As with podcasts, NOW TV, Prime and Netflix etc, I only choose to watch things I like, rather than channel hopping and possibly landing upon something new that piques my interest.

With not needing newspaper's anymore, instead with the ability these days to use filters on websites to only see things that might be of interest to me, it gets less likely as time goes on that new things will enter my orbit from a different lane. ChangingĀ times and all that. I'm not sure if it's something terrible or something perfect.Ā 

Haskell having 77 caps for England, as Jim Bob mentioned above, was obviously not something that I knew, but being told that, this move makes even more sense for Bellator than I thought. That he also has a TV presence outside of Rugby and is said to have a personality, this should be a home run for Bellator if Haskell can become passable enough to even win as much as he loses. If he is any better than that, then it is a real bonus.Ā 

• Paid Members

yep, cracking Bellator show this Saturday with the start of the FW Grand Prix and a Heavyweight Title scrap.

bellator-226-opening-odds.jpg

Ryan Bader vs. Cheick Kongo - Heavyweight Title Fight

Daniel Straus vs. Derek Campos - FW Grand Prix

Pat Curran vs. Adam Brorics - FW Grand Prix

Tywan Claxton vs. Emmanuel Sanchez - FW Grand Prix

Sam Sicilia vs. Pedro Carvalho - FW Grand Prix

Gaston Bolanos vs. Daniel Carey

Its stacked up. Even a little Gaston Bolanos to get the fucker started. The standout Grand Prix fight for me here is Claxton/Sanchez. Thats my pick for the tourney against the dark horse of tourney.

...and the fact that Ryan Bader is fighting Cheick Kongo for the heavyweight title in 2019 is just bonkers. Kongo has 100% earned his shot though.Ā 

Edited by Egg Shen

Coker must be praying that Bader wins this weekend. He's spent the past two weeks hyping BaderĀ up to anyone who would listen. I also can't imagine that Bellator want a 44 year oldĀ Kongo as their heavyweight champion. I've warmed to Bader in recent years, so IĀ hope he gets the job done as well.Ā 

Elsewhere,Ā Sergei Kharitonov vs Linton Vassell will headline Bellator's November event in Israel.Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeh, ive warmed to Bader too. Despite walking through the heavyweight Grand Prix though i think jury's still out as a heavy. Kongo's a decent test.Ā 

Mental that Kongo is having the best run of his career at 44 though after seemingly looking finished years ago. He's on an 8 fight win streak and whilst ive been critical of his in ring style at times you have to respect how hes adapted his style to prolong his career and become more efficient than ever.

Good fight.

That's a decent signing for Bellator.Ā Cyborg was one of Strikeforce's biggest stars.

All three of the biggest names in WMMA's short history, namely Rousey, Carano and Cyborg,Ā establishedĀ their names under the Strikeforce banner. It was thus Coker and Showtime thatĀ really put WMMA on the map. Although admittedly, the UFC did promote Rousey when her career was at its absolute peak.Ā 

I intend to follow the FW GP very closely. My only criticism of it, if you can even call it a criticism, is that I have no one to support in it. I'm picking McKee to win the whole thing, but I can't say I am rooting for him. As it stands, I am pretty neutral to all the fighters. Meh, I might jump on the Pitbull bandwagon.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

im pretty much the same, if i had to pick one i want to win though i think id pick Claxton, exciting fighter and will be a big underdog along the way, hes been chucked in the deep end. Have you seen any betting odds for it?