Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Didn’t think of that actually. Manhoef’s swansong mightn’t even be a MMA fight. He might want to finish up by going back to his roots with a Kickboxing match or something. Do GLORY have any shows in Holland coming up in 2019? 

• Paid Members

I’ve always been neither here nor there on Aaron Chalmers. Never disliked him but was never particularly a fan either. But he’s been giving Paddy Pimblett shit on Twitter today and it seems to have got Paddy a bit worked up so now he’s won me around. 

• Paid Members

It was nice to see Manhoef get the win here. Let's hope he gets the fight he wants in Amsterdam and can manage a win there as well to round off his career. 

Mousasi definitely lost that main event. He dropped at least three rounds, I can't see how anybody scored it for Gegard. A huge win for Lovato here. Coming into this I would have had Whittaker, Mousasi and Romero as the top three worldwide at MW, and I'm not sure of what order other than Whittaker in front of Romero.

For Lovato to take a clear decision against Gegard was a huge statement. You might get people saying that Mousasi may have not been 'all in' when it comes to effort, but you could always say that about him when he loses a fight, as it's just his general demeanor. Lovato with the biggest, and likely whenever he retires, the best win of his career here over Mousasi.

I'm not sure what's next for both. Machida could be it for Lovato, but it's possible he fights Bader as well. For Mousasi, I could see him taking a legends fight against somebody at 205, now he doesn't have the belt and have to cut some weight. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

there isnt many option at Middleweight in Bellator, its a slim division. Machida is probably in a position now where he can choose to fight for the title at either 185 or 205, Bellator may force him to go 185 because Bader's next fight is at heavyweight.

Outside of Machida though there isnt many clear cut challengers. Fabian Edwards could actually find himself pretty close despite being seen as a prospect, Lovato/Edwards headlining a Birmingham Bellator show? why not.

Anatoly Tokov could have a shout, 4-0 in Bellator and part of Fedor's team, not a fight that'll leap out at fans but he might be the most deserving in the promotion.

Who else is there? Rafael Carvalho (just lost to Machida), John Salter (already lost to Lovato). Thats about it.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

You know that Manhoef vs Wanderlei idea I keep on about? Manhoef’s on board. That or a Fedor fight! 

“When I was starting, I was watching Wanderlei Silva, I was watching Fedor. If they can bring me Wanderlei or Fedor, I don’t mind. I just want to take some guy who’s really a legend. I think that was my legend. If that could be done, I would do it.”

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of fight announcements:

Bader vs Kongo for September 7th (meh)

Pitbull vs Archuleta for September 28th (FW title and first round of the FW GP)

Moose vs Machida 2 for September 28th (hmmmmm)

I've warmed to Bader in recent years, but I could do without seeing him against Kongo. I just hope that Bader doesn't lose in a stinker. 

• Paid Members

heres the poster...

thumbnail_image002.jpg

really surprised they didnt go with Lovato Jr. vs. Machida next for the 185lb belt, that thing seemed nailed on. Like the Pitbull/Archuleta fight.

However, Bellator have announced the first fight of its 16 man Grand Prix before even announcing the other 14 fighters involved, they've also stuck the Champ and arguably the other top featherweight in the promotion together in the first fight, thats a strange move.

• Paid Members

anyways, Bellator break out this little card tonight, it's a smaller show following a few of the bigger efforts recently...

h5euLn6.jpg

Julia Budd vs. Olga Rubin

Rafael Carvalho vs. Chidi Njokuani

Juliana Vasquez vs. Kristiana Williams

Ed Ruth vs. Kiichi Kunimoto

Have no real interest in the main event, Bellator do push their female champions but there's no real strength in the divsions to make it interesting. Carvalho/Njokuani is a tidy stylistic fight and the return of Ed Ruth should be cool, he's fighting "Sexyama 2" Kunimoto! Not seen that guy around in a while.

As with most Bellator cards these days there's some interesting stuff on the prelims. AJ Agazarm is back for his 2nd MMA fight after one of the most disastrous debuts in recent times. Irishman Kiefer Crosby is buried there after getting a big win on the recent Irish card, and there's the MMA debut of 2 time Glory Kickboxing champ Gabriel Varga. Always question some of the fight placement on these cards.

11 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

However, Bellator have announced the first fight of its 16 man Grand Prix before even announcing the other 14 fighters involved, they've also stuck the Champ and arguably the other top featherweight in the promotion together in the first fight, thats a strange move.

That's why I like that Bellator have their Champions defend their titles throughout the GP tournaments. If they plan to do a tournament, they can do so while still giving their number 1 contenders a title shot (as they have done here). 

It does make for some weird tournament brackets though. As it potentially leaves one side of the bracket much weaker than the other. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

that lineup is legit. gonna be awesome.

That could be the hardest tournament  in MMA history to pick a winner out of. You can make a case for nearly everyone there having a shout at being the winner.

I'll look back on this when its done but im going Emanuel Sanchez. Outside pick, Tywan Claxton.

Edited by Egg Shen

If I had to pick anyone it would be Claxton. But even he has a rough draw. To win he'll have to beat Sanchez, the winner of Curran/Borlics, the winner of the top quarter (which is relatively weaker than the other quarters), and then the winner of the second half (which will probably be either Pitbull, McKee, or Caldwell). 

Edit: Huh, I was incorrect. The tournament order is not fixed. 

In other news, Coker has said there is a possibility of a cross-promotion year-end show with Rizin at Saitama Super Arena. Coker has said that he'd like to book Fedor on the show if everything falls into place. A co-promotion show with legends like Fedor, Barnett, Rampage, mixed in with current greats like Horiguchi, and a few loony Japanese freakshows would certainly have my interest.

Edited by jimufctna24