Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

A hell of a night.

I think everything coming out of it is a good news story for Bellator. Claxton and McKee remain undefeated; Hager goes full heel (way more profitable for a guy with his background, style and limitations); probably not great MVP lost so decisively, but definitely elevates Lima (who struggles to express himself) and the big Champ Champ story at the end with the option of an immediate rematch (if Pitbull doesn’t get entered straight into the 16 man FW tournament later in the year).

MVP got flat lined right in front us. We were cage side, right next to McCarthy/Mauro, and it happened directly in front. I was fucking open mouthed. I had that big fight feel, knot in my stomach feel anyway but JESUS CHRIST. 

I have no foreknowledge of Bellators scheduling, but I’d be amazed if they didn’t do MVP/Daley 2 in London now.

Didn’t get too many pictures, but:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxXtvrFAjIV/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1fsaaytopgaiy

• Paid Members

yeh, after the first fight i thought any talk of a rematch was a bit laughable considering the first fight was a dud, it does make sense now though. If Daley comes back with a KO win over Silva and calls out MVP id be down. The actual KO was scary, he only barely clipped him but its the perfect example of getting KO'd from a shot you dont see coming. MVP was doing his thing until it happened but as soon as he stopped bouncing in and out Lima punished him with a leg kick and it was a wrap. 

Thought the stoppage in the main event was justified but i can see the argument. Chandler was out but came around quick, the ref had already jumped in though. Its a shame it went down like that, it all felt a bit anti-climatic. Pitbull's 'fuck you' to the crowd promo was great though.

Felt a bit for Hager. I enjoyed T.J. Jones before the fight but it came off like he was treating like a bit of a joke on the night, think thats why Hager held onto the joke. The heel turn at the end was great though, Hager played on it and like Daz said, it could serve him well going forward.

McKee/Curran was a bit of a dud. Crowd got on em but McKee continues to impress, Curran just couldnt pull the trigger.

Claxton came out looking good too, guys an athlete. He has to be a shoe-in for the feathweight tournament now despite limited experience.

• Paid Members

I don't really see the controversy with the stoppage of Chandler. He'd stopped defending himself. Sure, he came around fairly quick, but by then he had shown the ref that he was out of it and the ref had processed the decision. A quick, sound and justified stoppage. Of course Chandler is making noise about it. He's got to, in order to save face and angle for the re-match. 

What a beautiful finish that was by Lima. A devastating leg kick and an uppercut right to the G-spot. I could watch that all day. Lima has got to be favourite for the tournament now I feel. 

• Paid Members

From the beginning I thought Rory was the favourite to take the tournament but I’m not so sure now with him seeming to have one foot out of the game. It might be Lima’s for the taking at this point.

On MVP vs Daley 2, I’d like to see it but I’ve got a feeling we won’t. Can see them rebuilding MVP with a few easier fights first then maybe doing the Daley rematch. He’s one of Bellator’s biggest potential stars, he doesn’t do much for me but I can see why he gets attention and I’m not sure Bellator will fancy risking him maybe losing 2 on the bounce if he fights Semtex next. I mean, I could see him beating Daley but I could also see Daley catching him, it’s not like either of them looked great the first time. It’s a 50/50 rematch for me. And I’m not sure how smart it’d be to throw MVP in there with one of the most devastating punchers in the game when he’s coming off a bad knockout. We’ll see though, if it happens I’ll be watching, 

As for the Pitbull vs Chandler stoppage, yeah, I also thought it was fine. It was very similar to the Cejudo vs Dillashaw stoppage a few months back. Chandler clearly went out, even just for a second or two, and the follow ups brought him back to. We’ve seen that happen a bunch of times and rather than the ref getting booed and criticised, he should be applauded. It was good refereeing. He saw a fighter who wasn’t intelligently defending himself with his arms flat on the canvas and not even trying to protect his head, so he stopped it. Whether Chandler woke up a second after the stoppage or whether he was out cold for 5 minutes is irrelevant at that point. He was out when the ref jumped in. A ref knowingly seeing a fighter go out then letting him continue would be incompetence and a dangerous game to play. I get the frustration that we never really got the great fight it promised to be but that happens sometimes in MMA. You accept that going in. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

to be fair to be Chandler, he didnt complain in-cage afterward, just accepting that its part of the game (i havent seen anything since, so he might have changed his tune). In American MMA though, outside of the UFC has there been a more consistently entertaining/watchable fighter than Chandler in the last 10 years? win of lose something brilliant/weird/mental always happens in his fights.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that MacDonald and Gracie has been promoted to the main event of Bellator 222. Sonnen vs Machida will now serve as the co-feature. I understand why Sonnen and Machida was initially billed as the main event. Sonnen is still somewhat of a name and Machida was a fairly big star for the UFC in the late 2000s/early 2010s. I want Machida to win, just so Mousasi can rematch him. The Machida loss has always bothered Mousasi, because he believes that Machida was on PEDs and greased (Machida has been accused of the latter by at least 1 other opponent).

Jordan Breen has described Sonnen as a "never-was", who created his trash-talking persona to compensate for his weaknesses as a fighter. Harsh? A bit, but there is some validity to Breen's opinion. Sonnen has come up short in his career far more often than not. His best wins are a razor-thin decision victory over Bisping, a decision win over a weight-drained Filho, and a submission win against Shogun. By contrast, he choked twice against Silva, got destroyed by Jones, lost to ancient versions of Fedor and Tito, and was taken apart by prime versions of Sobral and Maia. There is always a chance that he will be able to lay and pray against Machida and eek out a decision. He was able to do that against a spent version of Wanderlei and a disinterested version of Rampage. But I think the most likely outcome is that Machida catches him at some point and finishes him. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive the double post. 

Just a heads up. This weekend's Bellator card takes place on Friday evening. I know that Bellator have run many cards on Friday night in the past. But if, like me, you are a div who associates MMA events with Saturday nights/Sunday mornings, I can imagine it's easy to forget. 

This is the main card according to Bloody Elbow:

170 - Rory MacDonald vs. Neiman Gracie
205 - Chael Sonnen vs. Lyoto Machida
175 - Dillon Danis vs. Max Humphrey
135 - Darrion Caldwell vs. Kyoji Horiguchi
145 - Eduardo Dantas vs. Juan Archuleta

Pico's fight is on the preliminary card.

Edited by jimufctna24

Again, prefaced by me admitting that i'm bias as fuck, but this card looks like one of Bellators strongest ever. I mean, i'm missing 4 or 5 smaller prelim fights completely (that might end up on postlims), but in terms of name value fights look at the state of this:

Main Card

MacDonald v Gracie

Machida v Sonnen

Danis vs Humphrey

Bandejas vs Mix

Dantas vs Archuleta

Horiguchi vs Caldwell (RIZIN CROSSOVER)

Prelims

Aaron Pico vs Borics

Heather Hardy vs Taylor Turner

Valerie Loureda vs Larkyn Dasch

Robson Gracie vs Oscar Vera

Mike Kimbel vs Seb Ruiz

Kubota vs Lindsay Van Zandt (Rizin Crossover)

• Paid Members

Thats an absolute belting card. Like ive mentioned previously i love how the cards have a variety to them, it has more of a Pride style matchmaking feel. Whereas the UFC gives you 10 solid fights, Bellator offers a bunch of fights that have unique qualities to them with different types of stakes. Great stuff.

https://twitter.com/ScottCoker/status/1139540018354106368?s=19

Edited by Egg Shen

Although he got utterly rinsed by Machida, as most expected he would beforehand, Sonnen did bow out with class. His interview with Helwani afterwards was quite touching as well (see below). It shouldn't be forgotten that Chael did do a lot of dodgy stuff, and at one stage developed the dreaded X-Pac heat. But at one point, he was one of the most entertaining fighters in MMA history, at least outside of the cage. He can also tell a good story when he drops the trolling and silly hyperbole (check out his story about Bas Rutten on his Youtube channel).

Chuffed for Horiguchi. The fight was very difficult to score. I obviously had Caldwell winning round 1, and I gave rounds 3 and 5 to Horiguchi. You could make the argument that rounds 2 and 4 could be scored 10-10. Regardless, I didn't take exception to the judges' cards. 

Roll on next week and the return of my beloved Moose!

Edit: Good on Marshmallo for getting in an early jibe at Schuab. Wand will be gutted that he wasn't the first to post that quote. 

Edited by jimufctna24