Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

It may be that Bellator will just have to see this as a hit they have to take in order to get a more profitable foothold in the UK in future. Given the unpredictable nature of MMA promotion, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that they've already legislated for this kind of eventuality, and that they feel it's worthwhile because of the enhanced publicity they'll get from the Senei event.

Viacom owns several UK channels and Bellator, its free programming for 5 for a night as it will be coming out of Spike US budget probably.

They then can test the market and see if the prelims do decent numbers, they could probably sack off Bamma and just have Bellator UK fights on Spike UK, which would then allow them to get free agents in Europe before they become big stars, like that French kid who fights for Bamma and holds two belts.

• Paid Members

i wonder how well Alex Reid fairs in terms of ratings? he's fallen out of the public limelight but if he's well advertised i wonder how he does because he'll still be the most famous person on the card.

• Paid Members

Bear in mind he might only be a draw because people want to see other fighters smash him more than he did Jordan.

Edited by Carbomb

I wanted Michael Page to fight him, I know what would happen and Reid is a tough but limited fighter and I have nothing against him but MVP would embarras him and it could be a star making performance and Bellator could get a star over here.

• Paid Members

Fair point about the Senei.

what's Ian Freeman doing? ;)

He's tied up with KSW in Poland isn't he? Swear I posted a clip of his most recent fight were his little kid had the pleasure of sitting cageside watching his dad's head bounce of the canvas.

Tito's not gonna do numbers for this sadly either though. It's a real shame in a respect that Bellator just don't have one major star in the publics eye over here, the brand name doesn't sell anywhere near like the UFC's either.

They were never going to do huge numbers anyway. I was confused as to why they were doing the UK event to begin with, especially considering the fact that they've not even really cracked their home market yet.

Im sorry to sound like a broken record, but the o2 was likely chosen because its part of the Senei weekend. The weigh-in, meet & greets whatever will all be taking place at the Senei event that is held at the o2 the same weekend. Its a smart piece of marketing, its a shame the card is falling to bits.

Yeah I remember this coming up in a thread, although I still stand by my suggestion of the excel centre being a better fit for both. The problem I personally think more than anything is that tickets are so over-priced for it. They've done some ok marketing to give them credit, posters and TV. Nothing real crazy but it's a start. When people find the cheapest ticket to see Kimbo and Alex Reid is about £50 they're probably gonna give it a miss.

Couldn't agree more. Especially when the tickets went on sale pretty quickly after the UFC event in London. If you've just forked out for UFC, you've probably spunked your MMA budget for a while, let alone spending the same sort of money but for Bellator!

I wanted Michael Page to fight him, I know what would happen and Reid is a tough but limited fighter and I have nothing against him but MVP would embarras him and it could be a star making performance and Bellator could get a star over here.

As great as that would be, it wouldnt happen as they both train at the same gym as far as im aware

I'm guessing that they don't have anywhere near the size of gym or coaches of Jackson-Wink? Obviously Arlovski-Overeem train at the same gym and just fought but I think that's a newly built gym and they couldn't have did that during Rashad Evans time.

They should get Alex Reid on that Big Brother side thing that airs after Big Brother, I've only watched the Celebrity ones, since they moved to 5 but they have lots of D-listers of the level of Alex Reid on those shows and I'm guessing a decent amount of fans watch it. He's a former winner, they just need to say he has a fight coming up at the O2 and then air a few adverts through both shows.

Edited by the_mole