Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

So when's 170 on over here? on Saturday they've got boxing on Spike and I can't find owt for the next couple of days after.

• Paid Members

yeh might be a week's delay which kind of sucks.

This is the final card, it's real solid:

• Light Heavyweight Main Event: Tito Ortiz (18-12-1) vs. Chael Sonnen (28-14-1)
  • Welterweight Co-Main Event: Paul Daley (38-14-2) vs. Brennan Ward (14-4)
  • Middleweight Main Card Bout: Ralek Gracie (3-0) vs. Hisaki Kato (7-2)
  • Featherweight Main Card Bout: Georgi Karakhanyan (26-6-1) vs. Emmanuel Sanchez (13-3)
  • Lightweight Main Card Bout: Derek Campos (17-6) vs. Derek Anderson (14-2, 1 NC)

Preliminary Card:

• Featherweight Preliminary Bout: Chinzo Machida (4-2) vs. Jamar Ocampo (2-0)
  • Heavyweight Preliminary Bout: Jack May (8-3) vs. Dave Cryer (11-2)
  • Featherweight Preliminary Bout: Henry Corrales (12-3) vs. Cody Bollinger (19-6)
  • Middleweight Preliminary Bout: Kevin Casey (9-5-1, 2 NC) vs. Keith Berry (15-13)
  • Welterweight Preliminary Bout: Guilherme “Bomba” Vasconcelos (8-3) vs. John Mercurio (8-7)
  • Welterweight Preliminary Bout: Gabriel Green (3-0) vs. Jalin Turner (2-2)
  • Catchweight Preliminary Bout: Christian Gonzalez (2-0) vs. Daniel Rodriguez (2-0)
  • Lightweight Preliminary Bout: Jacob Rosales (4-2) vs. Ian Butler (3-2)
  • Welterweight Preliminary Bout: Johnny Cisneros (9-5) vs. Curtis Millender (9-3)
  • Lightweight Preliminary Bout: Mike Segura (4-4) vs. Tommy Aaron (2-1)
  • Bantamweight Preliminary Bout: Rob Gooch (4-3) vs. James Barnes (6-2)
  • Flyweight Preliminary Bout: Rebecca Ruth (6-2) vs. Colleen Schneider (10-7)

the Prelim card is silly long but it looks like a load of local MMA fights for the most part (which seems to be the Bellator way on these things), that said the top 4-5 prelims all looks decent and features some decent names.

The main card is excellent, say what you want about the main event and it's credibility but the rest of the main card is quality.

Daley/Ward is a fight i've been looking forward too. I'm not sure if Brennan Ward will want to trade punches with Semtex but he can only fight aggressively so if Daley can stop a takedown this one is going to get crazy, I expect someone to drop within 5 minutes.

The Ralek Gracie/Kato fight is about as much a styles clash as you can get. I can see one of those strange fights where Gracie will flop to his back after failing to score a takedown, there is no way he's going to attempt to stand with Kato, it's also Gracie's first MMA fight in in nearly 7 years!!...Kato himself i'm a big fan of, hell of a find from Bellator, win or lose he goes down swinging. Japanese style match-making here.

The main event!? who fucking knows. I'm actually favouring Tito because i feel with it being his last fight he's taken this one real seriously. He's given the 'i have no injuries going in' schpiel which happens before every fight but i just think he may want this one a little more than Chael Sonnen so i'll take Tito in via TKO perhaps in round 2.

• Paid Members

I'm favouring Tito due to several reasons. Tito is far bigger than Sonnen, and there's the fact that Sonnen hasn't fought in several years. On top of that this will be Sonnen's first fight off TRT (and fuck knows what else) so it will be interesting to see what shape he comes in at. 

It's interesting that both guys have been subject to random drug testing as well and so far both have passed.

It's a good card so hopefully I can find a decent stream to watch the top 2 fights live. 

• Paid Members

I thought Sonnen going on about how hard his training camp is may be fairly telling. I can only imagine how hard it must be being PED free and older while fighting proper for the first time in years.

A match fit Sonnen that still has a bit of pop mauls Tito all day, IMO, but there are so many interesting side notes and questions next to Chael.

• Paid Members

Surely it will be easier for him to get back on the gas in Bellator? 

I thought so too, but apparently Tito and Chael have done a number of piss tests and all is good so far. Sonnen also has a clause in his contract where if he gets caught doing PEDs he loses 100% of his purse and has to pay $500k on top of that.

Of course, that doesn't mean he's not on something. He just needs to make sure he doesn't get caught.

Load of shit, unless that's his purse, people have been busted for legit tainted supplements, why would you even risk that?

Hunt reached out to Overeem looking for the same deal, Overeem said no and rightly so, with the dodgy supplements that they throw anything in, you can get caught for cheating and you don't even know you are cheating.

• Paid Members

You really have to wade through some shit before getting to the real Chael these days. He's very much aware that anything controversial he says is going to be picked up as headlines and he plays on that, especially using his podcast.

• Paid Members

i feel like they changed the approach to selling the fight the closer it's gotten. It started off being real pro wrestling-esque but they've reeled it in. When Chael was on the Fight & The Kid Podcast (Chael's worth listening too there), Brendan Schaub told him that Tito was dropping the ball with the promotion and Chael basically agreed with him.