Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

They only really show Spike events on Saturday Nights, this is the PBC Danny Garcia match from last Saturday that aired on the US Spike TV, so Bellator will be on next week, I think Bellator run a show a week until the end of the year and I think they even run two nights in a row once or twice, so god knows what Spike UK does for that.

I take it you guys are avoiding spoilers or something.

Anyway, Fedor has signed with Bellator. He's fighting Meathead in February. I was never the biggest Fedor fan in his heyday, but I always respected him, and enjoyed watching him fight. I don't want someone of his stature - and class - to lose to fucking Meathead.  Sadly, there is a very real possibility that might happen. Meathead is nothing special, but he can bang. I just hope that Fedor lands clean first. 

• Paid Members

busy week so i've only just got around to watching last weekend's show. It was the definition of a mixed bag.

Chandler/Henderson went out and had a bit of a classic, it was also the perfect example of why it's a dangerous game to empty your tank in the opening round to try getting a finish. Michael Chandler's performance in round 1 was insane, there's very few fighter who survives a round with Chandler when he's in that form, absolute beast. Problem is, Benson Henderson is one of the most durable fighters in the game, he somehow survived and from round 2 on it was an even fight. Chandler won it on the scorecards for me, but like the Chandler/Alvarez series this one needs to played back. Hoping Benson doesn't go and do that military thing.

Mixed bag alert:

MVP/Gonzales was one of the worst fights of the year. On paper this one was gold, MVP fighting a Mexican brawler, it's a perfect recipe for an exciting fight. It wasn't, Gonzales stood his ground and MVP dances about, very little happened and it was basically void. No one really deserved to win it, MVP got the nod, but after the Cyborg fight this was basically the worst thing that could have happened, the hype train has halted. Bellator just needs to pull the trigger on MVP now, throw him in with Semtex or something.

Rest of the card was also mixed, Keri Melendez won quickly, Piccolotti/Girtz had the second best fight of the night and Vassell/Carmont predictably had a stinker.

oh, and i didn't see it by Baby Slice lost his pro debut, not a good start, by all accounts though he looked ok until getting caught in a guillotine.

• Paid Members

I take it you guys are avoiding spoilers or something.

Anyway, Fedor has signed with Bellator. He's fighting Meathead in February. I was never the biggest Fedor fan in his heyday, but I always respected him, and enjoyed watching him fight. I don't want someone of his stature - and class - to lose to fucking Meathead.  Sadly, there is a very real possibility that might happen. Meathead is nothing special, but he can bang. I just hope that Fedor lands clean first. 

I expect it to be an exciting fight if anything. Judging by current form though i expect Mitrione to clip Fedor and win by KO.

Bellator continues to do weird things fight promotion wise though. They tried to play off that Mitrione had signed to fight a 'mystery opponent' and Fedor was revealed to him on the broadcast. I might have believed it if the news of the fight happening hadn't been online a month or so ago.

• Paid Members

There are two Bellator events this weekend, both have note-worthy fights.

10en228.jpg

Eduardo Dantas vs. Joe Warren - 135lb Title Fight

AJ McKee vs. Ray Wood

Marcos Galvao vs. L.C. Davis

Chris Honeycutt vs. Ben Reiter

Joe Warren getting a title shot really is pretty ridiclous, but he's won his last fight but before that he got absolutely decimated by Darrion Caldwell. Warren's getting the shot based on he beat Dantas 2 years ago, and i'd not be entirely surprised if the crazy bastard somehow pulls it off. Something crazy always happen when Joe Warren fights.

AJ Mckee gets a late replacement which is a shame as he was meant to be taking a big step up against Emmanuel Sanchez, McKee is someone Bellator are looking to push big in 2017.

m8cuxd.jpg

Darrion Caldwell vs. Joe Taimanglo

John Teixiera vs. Justin Lawrence

Chidi Njokuani vs. Andre Fialho

Emily Ducote vs. Ilima-Lei Macfarlane

Revenge is the theme here too. Darrion Caldwell was seen as the future of Bellator and the 135lb division but he got deralied by Joe Taimanglo in his last fight, he gets instant chance to avenge it here and he's a huge favorite again. I expect Caldwell to right the wrong in dominant fashion.

Speaking of prospects, Andre Fialho is a legit one at 170lb. He's from AKA, 7-0 with 6 KO's, most coming in the first round. The guy appears to be a bit of a beast. I only saw him fight once in Bellator but i was hugely impressed. Weirdly he's coming in as an underdog here which suprises me (Fialho's on my betting slip).

Two good little shows though, both will clock in at under 2 hours. They'll be worth your time, these shows breeze by in no time.

I think Caldwell v Taimanglo is on this weekend on Spike/Channel 5. On the 17th, the TV guide has Bellator 168 at 9pm and King Mo v Ishii at 11pm, however it's just listed as Mixed Martial Arts in "Whats on TV", although its really Bellator 169, so two Bellator shows next Saturday. Also does anyone else get pixelated/lower video quality on 5 on demand?. In future I think I'll record the normal shows on the box instead of watching the on demand ones. 

• Paid Members

Ive not had a problem with the on demand versions.

Bellator 168 is tonight, its in Italy (its a Bellator MMA/Kickboxing show). I imagine the 168 card is being shown next week on a weeks delay. I've fallen behind this week so i aint posted about either of last weekends shows (yet to see the Caldwell show).

Credit 5 for having the shows on, but the schedule isnt very consistent.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Just caught up on Bellator 167 (on 5 on Demand now).

Bellator has a really hard time with prospects, they always seem to have a guy they want to push and make a marquee fighter and something goes tits up in a fight they should be coming through with no issues.

Andre Fialho the latest prospect to get starched. KO'd dead in 21 seconds. I still have high-hopes for Fialho, fun fighter to watch but he got caught cold.

Caldwell avenged his loss to Taimanglo but looked unimpressive. He doesn't seem the same guy who destroyed Joe Warren earlier in the year. He threw himself into so many dangerous position wrestling wise, against a guy like Eduardo Dantas he's gonna get caught out. That's if he even scores a takedown as Dantas has some of the best footwork in the division. It's happening next year, can't see past a dominant Dantas win.

168 to catch up on now...

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

don't forget that BAMMA/Bellator co-promotion show is on this Saturday at 11pm on Spike (following last weekend's Italian show), it's on a days delay and i have no idea what fights they'll show (probably the Bellator section whilst BAMMA is likely being seen as the prelims).

m7p8o.jpg

bit of a showcase main event on top of  a load of Irish talent so it'll probably make for a hot atmosphere. Wondering how James Gallagher comes over, he's only 4-0 but he's got that 'Next Conor McGregor' tag attached to him, should be interesting.

Fight Card: http://www.sherdog.com/events/Bellator-169-King-Mo-vs-Ishii-55743

200pdog.jpg

Fight Card: http://www.sherdog.com/events/BAMMA-27-Duquesnoy-vs-Philpott-55737

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

had a hectic couple of weeks so i've fallen behind, i've been catching up on Bellator through the 5 on demand app. though.

The Italian show came and went without any kind of fan-fair, but it was a fun little show. Full of short, exciting little fights. Like the Israeli show a few weeks back though you have to imagine Bellator will go on the road a lot more often next year. For the Dantas/Warren World Title fight a few weeks back they fought in front of a half empty arena, they goto Italy and headline with Alessio Sakara and they sell out the entire building and have a wild atmosphere for the main event, no denying Sakara's star power in his homeland. Bellator will be wise to use him as an attraction over there, i'd even give him a World Title shot, it'll come off as a big deal over there.

Sakara on the night KO'd Joey Beltran with relative ease proving that either Sakara is still carrying big power, or that Joey Beltran's chin is not what it once was...i suspect it was a bit of both.

Irish show now...

• Paid Members

Likewise with Sakara in Italy, Bellator have a real star on their hands with James Gallagher. He's another Conor McGregor type coming out of SBG. Not so much in fighting style, but he's charismatic and clearly connects with the Irish crowd, he's not the finished article but Bellator have a guy in Gallagher that they can probably go into Ireland with and do some good box office.

Bellator are creating little hot spots around the place, good to see. These international shows just feel bigger than the majority of the shows Bellator put in the US.