Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

heres the lineups for another double bill this weekend...im yet to see 210/211 but i will get there:

B213_1920x1080_announce.jpg?quality=0.85

Brent Primus vs. Michael Chandler - Lightweight Title Fight

Frank Mir vs. Javi Ayala

AJ McKee vs. Daniel Crawford

Derek Campos vs. Sam Sicilia

Alejandra Lara vs. Juliana Vasquez

prelims:

Tywan Claxton vs. Kaeo Maya

Robson Gracie vs. Bryson Bolohau

Brandon Pieper vs. Chris Avila

Toby Misech vs. Edward Thommes

Paul Lopes vs. Nick Bandis

* The main event is a long time coming. Primus beat Chandler to win the belt in June 2017 but has been out since. Bellator aren't quick to strip people but Primus had to be close. The first fight ended when Chandler suffered a freak leg injury. Cant see anything past Chandler retaining.

* Rest of the card is a great mix of veterans, Bellator mainstays and prospects. The prelims continue to have some interesting additions. Not sure if Bellator are trying to encourage people to tune in but Tywan Claxton is there and hes one of the most exciting new guys on the roster, strange to see these guys take steps backwards in terms of fight placement.

Nick Diaz' mate Chris Avila is there too, looking at his record though hes lost 5 on the bounce.

Here's 213:

B214_1920x1080_announce.jpg?quality=0.85

Ilima-Lei McFarlane vs. Valerie Letourneau - Womens Flyweight Title

Lyoto Machida vs. Rafael Carvalho

Neiman Gracie vs. Ed Ruth - Welterweight Grand Prix

Mo Lawal vs. Liam McGeary

Kona Oliveira vs. Nainoa Dung

* 213 is a DAZN flagpole type event. Some quality there as well, the show being in Hawaii is great too. Never understood why the UFC never tried to get back into that market, one of the pioneering MMA hotbeds.

Jam packed weekend.

• Paid Members
On 12/7/2018 at 4:56 PM, the_mole said:

Patricky Pitbull Friere (not the FW champion one, that's his brother Patricio, both called Pitbull) is fighting former BAMMA champion Ryan Scope (11-1) in the main event of the Newcastle show, Aaron Chambers of Geordie Shore co-headlines, this won't air on TV in the States (unless DAZN pick it up), it's a regional western Europe series, they will do 10 in 2019 on 5Spike that aren't part of the normal Bellator circuit.

yeh im liking the idea of those shows, they've also announced a February one in Dublin with James Gallagher headlining. Take a known ticket seller, put him on top or in the co-main event of a Bellator branded show and you'll likely do some good business. Scope & Chalmers in Newcastle, Gallagher in Ireland, and they do similar stuff in Italy with Alessio Sakara. 

Edited by Egg Shen

Day 1 in Hawaii:

Bellator booked our hotels, so I’m in the same ‘village’ as the fighters. So far I’ve seen Chael, Rampage, Coker, Herschel Walker, Paul Daley, Mike Goldberg, Douglas Lima, Neiman Gracie.

It’s kind of weird. Chael is fucking huge.

Day 2/3:

Day 2 was the ceremonial weigh-ins for 212 and the press conference for 213. Obviously a tonne more fighters turned up, which was cool - but the real highlight was meeting Nate Diaz. Some kid on the prelims from 212 fights out of Stockton, and he was here for that.

When he entered the room there was a palpable sense of excitement.

Press conference for the DAZN show was fun, though I’d say the 2 co-mains were far too friendly to one another. King Mo calling out Mitrione was kind of crazy, King Mo isn’t that big in person.

The first fight on the main card should be fun - the two dads of either fighter got into it at the press conference.

I’d never attended a small room weigh-in before. It’s kind of crazy, to be honest. Without a lot of fans there, there’s a real spooky atmosphere as it’s lots of amped up and/or terrified friends and family members.

Day 3:

Quite a fun night of fights. AJ McKee still looks outrageously good and Michael Chandler took the ugly route. Turns out that Primus’ leg kicks weren’t a fluke, though - that second round he had Chandler doing a chicken dance all over again.

The Frank Mir finish was tough to watch. I don’t know what he’s still doing fighting to be honest, the minute he got cut he looked like he was trying to find a way out. I’m not a fan of his, but that’s Frank fucking Mir tapping out standing to short rabbit punches. 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Even if you’re not interested in watching the fights, I’d go out of your way to watch Ilima-Lei’s walkout and finish. Ariel (and others) have called it the greatest crowd in  Bellator history.

Honestly, it was fucking insane. A deeply patriotic crowd of hardcore fans who’ve been starved of quality fights for a decade is a recipe for greatness. It genuinely felt like a Conor-in-Dublin moment.

I was sat cageside, supposed to be acting professional, and when the finish happened I jumped about 6 foot in the air and punched the sky. Just an incredible thing to be a part of.

She could be a real star for them now.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I also read a journalist quoted him saying that he thought the problem was was with his teeth so he was actually trying to pull his fucking teeth out to ease the pain. Fuck that! 

As for the Ilima-Lei crowd reaction, it’s crazy. Hawaiians love their fighters. No disrespect to her, I think she’s good from the little I’ve seen, but if they were that rabid for her can you imagine what they’d be like for Max Holloway, or if BJ Penn was still at his best? The UFC should’ve really found a way to make a Hawaii show happen a long time ago. I mean, imagine if say the Penn vs Sherk fight was in Hawaii back in 2008? Would’ve been wild. I can see Holloway dragging them there if he keeps going how he is now. No doubt with Zombie Penn and Titties Ostovich on the undercard. 

• Paid Members

Thanks for the posts about your experiences daz, It sounded like you had a hell of a trip.

I haven't been able to watch the shows yet, partly because I've already heard the results and I don't know where to find Bellator on-demand over here in order to have avoided them until then. Is this on 5 on demand, and how soon after did they go up?

If that's the injury Frank Mir has then that is a really grisly one for certain. That sounds like a whole new level of pain. 

Pleased for Machida getting the win. I'd fear for him though if he is fighting Mousasi next. 

Moving to New York tomorrow, to focus pretty much exclusively on the MMA marketing for DAZN.

Bricking it. But, too good of an opportunity to turn down I guess!

If streaming of live sports isn’t the future, I’ll seen you soon 😂

Edited by d-d-d-dAz