Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Check the Channel 5 catchup service. It may show up at some point, sometimes theres a weeks delay though.

Gallagher is calling for a rematch with Bandejas in Ireland in December. Id 100% go with that, id imagine that would generate at much buzz as a title fight for Gallagher at this point, people will wanna see if it happens again. Book it.

• Paid Members

I don't know. Does he deserve an immediate rematch? He went out there, behaved like a cunt, got sparked quite quickly and decisively. I'd say he needs to earn his way to one. If it was anyone not with a gob on him, or associated with McG, we'd be viewing his stated reasons (i.e. that he went in with looking for a scrap instead of maintaining focus and discipline) with a little scepticism; a lot of fighters come out with excuses, and we say they should go bollocks when they do. But even if we believe him, no matchmaker can just say "Oh, OK - here you go", because that's basically telling any fighter they can screw up and then get a rematch just because they said something. Furthermore, from his career perspective, it'd probably be better for him to have to earn himself a rematch, to give him more focus than before, and to remind him that going into a match half-cocked will result in consequences he can't necessarily talk his way out of.

Also, looking at this from Bandejas' point of view, why should he agree to one? He's just ramped up his profile in a BIG way, and his record is already comparatively impressive for where he's at, so why should he risk this big chunk of exposure he's just had fighting somebody he just beat the piss out of, instead of somebody new on his road to the belt? He obviously believes he can be a contender, so he's not going to be thinking in terms of marketing James Gallagher.

EDIT: Moreover, from a marketing perspective, it'd be good not to grant a rematch just yet. Give Bandejas another match, as well, and then, when they do face each other again, there'll be more anticipation, and more buzz.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Yeah, you can look at it like that, but the rematch would likely headline the upcoming Irish card, and let's be honest, unless Badejas is thrown into a title fight a Gallagher rematch is probably the biggest fight be can take in Bellator. If Bandejas believes he can win again i think it's a bit of a no-brainer.

• Paid Members

Is Gallagher a proven draw then? I haven't kept close tabs on him but it's not really a money fight just because he's from Ireland is it? Unless the threshold for what's seen as a 'money fight' is much lower than it used to be. 

• Paid Members

I dont have any figures but i imagine he's a good ticket seller over there. Gallagher was in line to headline the December show last year but he pulled out through injury, so a year down the line id imagine he'll do the same thing. Like i said previously, the Bandejas fight was set up to give Gallagher a fight before he fought for the belt in December in Ireland. Saturday night ballsed all that up, but  a Gallagher/Bandejas rematch could fit the bill nicely. The other option could be to possibly do a 135lb title fight on top and have Gallagher/Bandejas as the co-main? Either way James Gallagher is on the card and unless they want to give him an easy touch, the Bandejas rematch has to be the way to go. It could be the start of an excellent little rivalry.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yep, that could be the end of that 😂 still, if that happens you could probably put Bandejas in for the title with a nice buzz behind him. If Gallagher wins, you have the possibility of a trilogy. All good stuff.

Thing is about being a guy like Gallagher who talks a lot of shit, even in defeat, despite being humbled and frankly embarrassed he has a bit more leeway on what he does next. On Monday morning he had a 40 minute sit down with Ariel Helwani discussing his situation, hes straight back on the horse.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Vitaly Minakov is returning to Bellator. He's expected to take a fight in the promotion, that if he wins, he can fight the winner of the HW Grand Prix. That'll be him against Bader or Meathead then I'd guess. Though if Charles can summon the power of Apollo Creed, as he is displaying in that poster, that could be a game changer. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/23/17775444/bellator-re-signs-former-heavyweight-champion-vitaly-minakov

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Aaron Pico's next fight will be part of the Bellator Vs UFC head to head night in LA in January, which is also the Heavyweight GP final, so there should be a lot of eyes on the show. Smart booking here by Bellator.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/11/7/18074288/aaron-pico-vs-henry-corrales-booked-for-jan-26-bellator-show

• Paid Members

Absolutely, it's certainly a test for him. The other fight I felt it might be a good idea to make before it gets too late to book it, as Pico will eventually be far removed from the position, is a rematch with Freeman to allow him to rub that loss from his record.