Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

First round bracket for the welterweight tournament looks like this...

Rory MacDonald vs Jon Fitch

Paul Daley vs MVP 

Douglas Lima vs Andrey Koreshkov 

Niemann Gracie vs Ed Ruth

Lorenz Larkin vs Yaroslav Amosov (alternate bout)

Happy with this. Hopefully Daley vs MVP actually ends up happening finally. At least Coker's just matched them up in the first round. Rebney would've had them on opposite sides of the bracket. 

• Paid Members

I can't see past Rory either. I could see any of the rest beating each other on a given night, but Rory is a level above for me. Saying that, he's got to defend his title in each fight so he's potentially got to go 5 rounds each time. Just can't see any of them beating Rory. 

• Paid Members

I'd heard Bellator were making all of the fights in the tournament five rounders, but I'm unsure if this is actually the case? They probably have to though, so that there isn't a difference for the champion/s always having to go the possible five rounds, with everyone else only going three. 

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post, but that Bellator 206 card has Rory/Mousasi, Lima/Koreskov and Wanderlei/Rampage. That's a card and a half right there. DAZN are getting started with a bang.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

I'd heard Bellator were making all of the fights in the tournament five rounders, but I'm unsure if this is actually the case? They probably have to though, so that there isn't a difference for the champion/s always having to go the possible five rounds, with everyone else only going three. 

Wouldn't the champions fights just be non-title fights though?

• Paid Members

Yeh, that's how they've done it in the World Boxing Super Series. It's only fair that every fight is contested over 5 rounds though. It also means Jon Fitch has got himself a very unlikely title shot.

• Paid Members

B204_1920x1080_announce.jpg?quality=0.85

Bellator keep things ticking over Friday with 204.

Darrion Caldwell vs. Nohad Lahat

AJ Matthews vs. Logan Storley

James Gallagher vs. Ricky Bandejas

Tywan Claxton vs. Cris Lencioni

After a quiet weekend im well up for this, and theres lots to like here.

Darrion Caldwell the 135lb Champ dips his toe in at 145. Not quite sure why hes doing it but hes got a tough gig against Lahat.

Never seen Logan Storley fight but hes finished 6 of his 8 wins by KO and is currently 8-0.

The return of Gallagher is exciting. Hes been out for over a year which killed his momentum and has slowed down Bellators chances of setting up a fight with AJ McKee which was brewing nicely. Still, expect Gallagher to talk some mad shit if he wins. Good to have him back.

As for Tywan Claxton, hes only 2-0 but hes responsible for doing this on his debut...

Get the feeling this is gonna be a cracking little show.

• Paid Members

Got up for work and stupidly went on twitter and saw a single spoiler...

James Gallagher got KO'd. Thats a humbling right there. I like Gallagher, hes a Conor clone but hes got that charisma about him that sucks people in. However, midweek i saw an interview with him and he was so far ahead of his fight its not surprising he got ironed out. All he could talk about was fighting for the belt in December and how Darrion Caldwell had gone running since he dropped to 135. He was fighting a fellow 11-1 prospect, not a guy to overlook.

Hopefully a reality check for the lad. That said, a title fight in Ireland which was the plan would have been awesome. Shame thats fucked.

• Paid Members

Ha, that was beautiful. The little sound effects the guy makes every time Poundland McGregor got cracked made it even better. 

I was waiting for that little prick to get his arse kicked but honestly thought we'd be waiting a while. That was so satisfying to watch. Even landed a little Sweet Chin Music in there!