Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Jardine never KO'd Chuck. Just blasted him with kicks to the leg and body for 15 minutes en route to a decision. Chuck looked like a fucking spare rib by the end. The whole one side of him was red raw. 

He got KO'd in his last 3 fights though. By Rashad Evans (fucking brutally), Shogun and Rich Frankllin. 

• 3 weeks later...

Easy to forget in all the Khabib/T-Ferg/Holloway stuff that we've got a Bellator show this weekend, from of all places Budapest, Hungary.

Benson Henderson vs Roger Huerta should be an interesting one, with Huerta returning from the wilderness for the first time really since he lost to Eddie Alvarez in Bellator. Since then he's went 3-4, which is shocking considering the level he's been fighting at of late.

Aside from that fight it's really not got much else to offer except the next instalment of the career of the much-hyped Ed Ruth. He comes in with a 4-0 record, and faces Ion Pascu. The dude seems pretty legit, with an amateur wrestling record that is pretty insane. 2012, 2013, 2014 NCAA D1 Wrestling Champion, 2014 World Team Member, 4x All-American, 4x Big Ten Champion.

So yeah, two fights worth checking out for sure this weekend that aren't under the UFC banner.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

I'll be tuning in Dave, Bellators European shows are always a little odd and card wise dont really resemble a Bellator card but im down for Benson/Huerta. A couple of years ago this would have been anticipated as a real FOTY contender, how times change.

Im hoping the Kickboxing portion is aired too and not on some odd delay. Bellators Kickboxing shows feels like an afterthought at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

no ufc this week, and Bellator roll out the big guns, heavyweight grand prix time...

DULGworW4AAVqS6.jpg?1517246300

The card for this is pretty wild, one of them cards with a pro wrestling feel, all sorts of of levels of mma going on here, love this kind of stuff:

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Fran Mir

Emmanuel Sanchez vs. Sam Sicilia

Neiman Gracie vs. Javier Torres

Gerald Harris vs. Rafael Lovato Jr.

Dillon Danis vs. Kyle Walker

I'll chime in some thoughts on the card in a bit...

• Paid Members

I haven't wanted to even think about this. Got a horrible feeling fatty Mir is going to win. Which would mean he then holds wins over Pride's 3 Kings of Heavyweight - Fedor, Big Nog and Cro Cop. That shit's just wrong. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I haven't wanted to even think about this. Got a horrible feeling fatty Mir is going to win. Which would mean he then holds wins over Pride's 3 Kings of Heavyweight - Fedor, Big Nog and Cro Cop. That shit's just wrong. 

Nope. Mir vs Bader final with big Frank winning via a submission you've not even heard of yet.

I see Fedor vs Mir as a lottery fight. Whoever lands first will win. It could just as easily be either one of them. 

18 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Got a horrible feeling fatty Mir is going to win. Which would mean he then holds wins over Pride's 3 Kings of Heavyweight - Fedor, Big Nog and Cro Cop. That shit's just wrong. 

I could just about stomach that. While he was never the outright best, Mir was one of the best heavyweights in the world for a time (2007-2011). I also respect him for overcoming his "Fat Mir" stage after his motorcycle accident. Watching him fight in 2006 was like watching an impotent man trying to have sex. Even before his motorcycle accident he was nowhere near as good as he should have been. He was a wicked submission artist, but his cardio and striking was the shits. He developed into a very good heavyweight. 

The biggest tragedy is that Meathead holds a win over Fedor. Meathead is a mid-tier fighter at his best. Even in his prime, Mir would have not put a dent in Pride's Heavyweight division. I would favour the 3 kings to wallop a prime version of Mir. I would also favour Barnett, Aleks and Sergei over him. Imagine what those lot would have done to Meathead. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

All over this despite not being overly familiar with the undercard. Hopefully it's available to stream somewhere on Sunday morning.

WAR MIR!

the undercard is solid if not exactly star powered.

Sam Sicilia is coming over from the UFC but is hardly a big name so not sure ges landed such a high billing, he was a solid undercard fighter but he does have the nack of having exciting fights. Emmanuel Sanchez has slowly risen to become one of Bellators best featherweights, proper energizer bunny type fighter. Winner likely lands a title shot.

It was meant to see Lovato Jr. against John Salter which also might have led a to 185lb title shot for the winner. Gerald Harris has stepped in late though, i actually thought Harris has retired though. Lovato Jr. was in my prospects of the year list based purely on Justin Wren talking about him on Joe Rogans podcast, made it sound like Lovato was some next level grappler. Looking forward to this.

Other exciting thing here is the debut of Dillon Danis. The guys an absolute tool but theres no denying his BJJ credentials. Most people want to see him get smashed but i wanna see how far he can take the MMA thing. No doubt gonna ruffle some feathers.