Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

That's why I think Coker booked Fitch-Daley he's probably hoping to get rid of Daley as he's been speaking smack about him and the promotion.

I'm guessing something happened in the negotiations as the MVP fights a given and now Daley wants out, he hasn't failed weight or hit anyone after the bell, is exciting, so it must be something personal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Where's Wanderlei Silva? Has there been any word at all on his next fight? After being out for 4 years then finally coming back and losing to Chael in a dull fight, you'd think he'd be itching to get back in there. But nothing. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Is it really? Well fuck me. Any idea when? I know they won't do it but if they put that on the London show then I'm going even if I have to walk it. The chance to see Cro Cop and Wandy fight live? I'm there.  

Edit - OK, just seen that Wand wants it in Brazil. Are Bellator even planning to do Brazil? 

The shit talk has started already as well. 

”I’m kind of big, too, with 229 pounds,” he said. “I’m training a bit stronger. He’s fat. I want to beat him up like a roly-poly toy. I’d beat him up. I hate him so much.

”That knockout he gave me (at UFC 92), hit a lucky hand on my chin. And after I went down he went there and landed another one. I hate him. I only wait for the next one to return the favor. It will be a brawl, the way people want.”

Edited by wandshogun09

Wanderlei wants the fight in his hometown. That's part of the negotiations as far as I have read. 

I have mixed feelings on them fighting for a 4th time. Wanderlei may think there is unfinished business, but I don't see it personally. Their rivalry doesn't really need another chapter. It is great enough as it is. The 2nd fight was probably the best win of Wanderlei's career. It was where Wanderlei's career peaked. The 3rd fight was also a fitting conclusion to their rivalry. Rampage finally toppled Wanderlei in definitive fashion. 

On the other hand, I do enjoy watching senior fighters mix it up with one another in Bellator. I prefer that to watching them lose to fighters who they would have walloped in their primes (Fedor losing to Meathead being the best example) 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

It's a shame but there aren't really many fights in Bellator now that I even want to see Wandy in. If wasn't suspended and he'd come in a couple of years ago they could've done Wandy vs Kimbo or Manhoef. Like you say, those are the kind of fights he should be in at this stage not the young lions. But saying that, in 2018 there aren't many fights even in the UFC I'd be that arsed about either if I really think about it. The majority of the names from his era like Couture, Liddell and Hendo aren't about anymore. In Bellator now, I think the fight I'd like to see most is Wandy vs Fedor. That's a proper Pride dream match. Beyond that, there aren't really any others jumping out. 

True story, I used to be a carpet fitter for a bit working for my dad. My best mate was big into MMA back then and knew I was a huge fan of Wandy. So one day we were on break and standing by my dads van when my mate turned to me and excitedly suggested that if I ever took over the business from my dad I should call it Underlay Silva's Carpets. Underlay Silva. Proud as punch of that he was. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

There's a few fights out there for wand. Rampage 4 is one i'd actually like to see because stylistically it could be a fun watch. There's been a few instances in Bellator where they've wasted these guys by matching them up with stylistically stifling opponents, Rampage is the best example, they've thrown him in with a bunch of wrestlers. I know it's part of the game and you can moan that Rampage needs to learn to stop a takedown, but who wants to see Rampage doing that at this point in his career? just get him in there with someone who will trade punches with him.

8 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

The majority of the names from his era like Couture, Liddell and Hendo aren't about anymore. 

A few weeks ago there were strong rumours that Liddell was going to sign with Bellator. I'm not sure how those rumours developed. Things went a bit quiet after a while. Sadly, even if Liddell does sign with Bellator, it's likely they will do Liddell vs Ortiz 3. Both Chuck and Tito have petitioned for that fight. I would rather see Chuck vs Wanderlei 2 myself. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I really don't want Chuck to come back but if he does then Chuck vs Wandy 2 and Chuck vs Chael would be the fights to make. Chuck vs Tito is so dead as a rivalry. Even when they did TUF back in 2010 and the third fight got cancelled, I don't even remember people being gutted about it. Chuck himself was the only one who seemed devastated and that's just because he wanted to batter Tito again. 

Yep.

I've never got why Chuck is so obsessed with wanting to batter Tito. I get that he hates him, but Chuck has more than proved his point over the years. He made a mess out of him in their first fight in 2004. Ortiz came out of that fight with his reputation in tatters. It wasn't just that Chuck beat Ortiz via stoppage. It was also that Tito had blatantly ducked Chuck a few years before they actually fought. It was common knowledge that Chuck had the measure of Ortiz in training. 

If that wasn't enough, Chuck beat him again some 3 years later. Ortiz trained like a madman at Big Bear for their rematch, yet could barely put a dent into Chuck come fight night. Overall, Chuck came out of the rivalry smelling of roses. It launched him into the limelight, and he ended up being more popular and respected than Ortiz in the long-run. By 2006, the idea of Chuck being in Tito's shadow was a distant memory. Newer fans probably didn't even know about it. They just knew that Chuck was clearly the better fighter. 

Therefore, where is the unfinished business from Chuck's perspective? Even if Tito is still mouthing off, no one is going to take him seriously. All the relevant facts are on Chuck's side. 

• Paid Members

Tito needs to stay retired, he went out on an unexpected high against a guy who's since proven he's still semi-relevant from an in cage perspective. I'd imagine one last hurrah over your biggest rival must be appealing but the bloke needs to let it go.

Chuck retired a little too late when he got KOd In his last three fights. Back in the day The Iceman was a great fighter and his feud with Tito from friends to enemies was classic. I think like many longtime MMA fans but I'd watch another fight between the two but they should stay retired. Titos last fight with Chael had a questionable finish but I do think he retired at the time to protect his long term health.

Maybe fighters over say late 30s should do grappling tournaments to reduce the risk of head trauma. Chuck already has that glazed look in his eyes similar to what Kurt Angle, Daniel Bryan etc have which is indicative of brain injury/CTE. Chuck is a legendary HOF fighter and has nothing left to prove. Would Dana allow a Liddell v Ortiz fight, no way, because no athletic commission would clear them to fight. I mean it was a classic great feud but they have had their day. Maybe mentor younger fighters and have a Team Ortiz v Team Liddell type feud instead. Then they are making a name for younger fighters. 

Edited by Really Big Shoe