Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

On 01/02/2018 at 8:07 AM, Really Big Shoe said:

Bellator on Saturday which will be the Larkin/Gonzalez card. They should have had the Heavyweight GP on a one or two night PPV card. 

They are trying to rebrand Spike to the Paramount Channel, Bellator is one of the only Spike Shows they are keeping and the GP is part of that rebrand as they want the "tent pole" events to be linked with the Grand Prix. and the only two Bellator PPVs bombed massively.

• Paid Members

Bellator rolling out the flag pole this Friday...

b194_nelson_mitrione_image002.0.png

2nd fight of the Heavyweight GP.

Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione

Patricky Pitbull vs. Derek Campos

Liam McGeary vs. Vadim Nemkov

Heather Hardy vs. Ana Julaton

Tywan Claxton vs. Jose Perez

• Paid Members

That's a pretty full looking Bellator card right there. The winner of Nelson/Mitrione is in a good position to win this thing overall. The only other question really is how well Bader copes with the size difference. If he handles it without too many problems then he should be the other leading contender. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Spike are showing this at 11pm on Saturday night for anyone interested...

Definitely interested Egg, thanks for letting us know. I'm guessing that means it'll be uploaded in the On Demand section sooner as well then? 

• Paid Members

I'm still fancying a Bader tournament win. Meatheads probably my second pick. 

Pretty depressing that in a field featuring Fedor, Rampage and Sonnen who were favourites of mine to watch at various points, Mir who I loathed but was a top level guy years ago, Nelson who I really liked at one point and Mo who I honestly thought was going to be a huge star at one stage...it's fucking Bader and Meathead who I'm picking to do the best. Sad times :( 

I think if they cross paths in the tournament, Bader vs Meathead is an interesting fight actually. I think Bader is a vastly superior fighter to Mitrione. Like, miles better overall technically. But Meathead's got the size, he's a legit heavyweight, he hits hard, can take a dig and he can move deceptively fast for his size. I'll give him that much. I think Bader is good enough to completely shut him down but I could also see Mitrione catching him early and we've seen that happen to Bader before. It's weird. I'm not a fan of either guy. Usually don't give much a fuck when either fight. But against each other...I don't know, I kind of like the matchup for some reason. If it happens. A lot can go wrong, especially at heavyweight! 

So the winner of Nelson vs Mitrione fights the Bader vs Mo winner in the semis, right? With Chael vs Fedor/Mir? Have I got that right? 

• Paid Members

Yeh that's right Wand. We could end up with Frank Mir/Ryan Bader main event which is to my ears sounds like some kind of sick joke :confused:

Anyone read about the Heather Hardy situation? first off, she weighed in wearing that black swimsuit again which was great. She initially believed she made weight (126lb so using the 1lb allowance), got off the scale and immediately re-hydrated only to find out later there was a problem and she'd need to weigh in again, she wasn't allowed to try to weigh in because she'd aready cut once so she had to weigh in heavy and forfeits 20% of her purse to her opponent, what a palava.

If you are wondering who the two guys who are in the first fight of the night... the reason that is on the main card is because of Tywan Claxton, he's another of Bellator's prospects, only 1-0 but he did this in his pro debut...

• Paid Members

That sounds fucked up about the Heather Hardy weigh in. In a case like that I think it's wrong to penalise the fighter. If it's a fuck up on the athletic commission's part or whoever cocked up then I think it's bollocks to punish the fighter, who has already made weight as far as they know. Sounds a complete shambles. 

On the prospect of Mir vs Bader, that sounds so shite. But...there would kind of be a nice little backstory to it. Bader won TUF 8 as a member of Team Nogueira back in 2008 with Mir as the opposing coach. And if Mir vs Bader winds up as the final, I'd assume that'll be late this year. If it happens in December it could be 10 years, almost to the day, since Bader won TUF by knocking out Team Mir's top boy Vinny Magalhaes.

Trying to put a positive spin on it but no doubt the fight itself would be rotten. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

the Hardy thing seems to be that the communication between her and the commision guy was very poor and she re-hydrated before being given clear instruction that she was free to do so. The commision also stated that they refused to let her weigh-in without her clothing because she was that de-hydrated she couldn't even speak to the guy who weighed her in. Scary.

Mir vs Sonnen would be a weird match-up. They were meant to face off in a grappling tournament a while back before Mir had to withdraw. Back in 2010/2011, most fighters were fair game for Sonnen's trash talk. The exceptions being Couture, Hendo, and Frank Mir. The first two were no surprise. Couture and Hendo were ex-teammates of Sonnen's, and had parted with him on good terms (the rest of Team Quest fell out with each other if I recall correctly). 

Mir was a slight surprise. The Heavyweight division in general was an easy target for Sonnen back then. It could have been that Sonnen and Mir shared a common enemy in the Anderson/Nog camp. It could have also been that the two got along well backstage. Whatever the case, Sonnen clearly had a lot of respect for Mir. 

I would watch if Mir and Sonnen end up fighting. However, I would prefer it if Fedor throws a spanner in the works. For me, the best possible outcome of this tournament is for Fedor to somehow win it. Hopefully by avenging the Meathead loss in the final. Although, I agree with Wand, that the most likely victor is probably Bader. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Chael also left the Gracies alone as far as I recall. I remember him even saying that, at the height of his Brazil bashing in the run up to the second Anderson fight, Renzo called him and told him to cool it on the Brazil stuff and he did back off. He said something like 'certain names in this sport are off limits. When a member of the Gracie family calls you, you listen. They are MMA royalty.' Something along those lines. 

He also went out of his way to be respectful to Shogun before and after their fight. Even going as far as to kind of diminish his win over Shogun by chalking it up as a bit of a fluke and that Shogun 'wasn't at his best that night' or something. Stuff you never hear fighters say. Especially as at the time the Shogun win was the best of his career. It might still stand as his best to date IMO. 

For all the shite Chael talks at times he is really gracious about the guys he respects in the sport. The names he's trashed and the rivalries with Anderson and Wandy are the things people remember him for but there's actually way more instances of him bigging guys up than anything. 

The Shogun fight happened in 2013. There was a period between 2010-2011 where most who cropped up on Sonnen's radar were fair game for his trash talk. Chael would slag the likes of Anderson, Nog, and Wanderlei, which you would expect. However, he also used to take potshots at Franklin, Fedor, James Irvin, Forrest Griffin, Kenny Rice, Mike Tyson, and others. The Renzo conversation and other things probably led to him reining it in a bit. 

I also forgot to mention that he really respected Babalu. 

• Paid Members

For some reason I always get mixed up and think it was Babalu who beat Chael 3 times, it was actually Jeremy Horn. I remember Babalu submitting Chael in the UFC in 2005 but didn't realise Chael actually holds a points win over Babalu back in 2003 for a promotion called Hitman Fighting. So they ended up at 1-1. Horn really fucked him for a bit with that 3-0 scoreline though, didn't he? 

Did anyone catch last night's Bellator yet? I accidentally saw the result of the Nelson vs Meathead fight earlier. Going to still try to squeeze in a watch of it sometime over the weekend. Is Nelson right to be pissed off at the decision or is he just being a moany div? 

Edited by wandshogun09