Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I wish Bellator would make a move for some of the GLORY Heavyweights. Particularly Rico. He'll probably just get wrestlefucked for his first few fights, but he's worth the contract if he gets some semi-decent Takedown D. The Bellator HW division is just so shallow (prime talent-wise), you fancy him to do ok, if he applies himself.

I mean, imagine Rico v Rampage. Poor Rampage.

Edited by ColinBollocks

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

I wish Bellator would make a move for some of the GLORY Heavyweights. Particularly Rico. He'll probably just get wrestlefucked for his first few fights, but he's worth the contract if he gets some semi-decent Takedown D. The Bellator HW division is just so shallow (prime talent-wise), you fancy him to do ok, if he applies himself.

I mean, imagine Rico v Rampage. Poor Rampage.

Glory's ratings on Spike were terrible, nobody gives a fuck about them, Bellator are only really going for former UFC, Pride & Strikeforce fighters (but only guys who have headlined cards), they let Volkof (now a UFC top 10 fighter) & Blagoi Ivanov (WSOF Champion) both with good Heavyweight records, leave under Scott Coker and it doesn't look like they even bidded for WSOF champions who all signed for the UFC. They don't even seem to care that their former undefeated champion Vitaly Minakov is just fighting guys in Russia and don't even seem to want him back.

They have signed some promising rookies but that just means those guys are fighting on Spike instead of LFA or another regional promotion.

I would also pick Bader or Meathead as the most likely winners. Out of the entrants, they seem the least over the hill. In fact, Bader is probably still in his prime. If pressed, I would pick Bader over Mitrione. I suspect this Grand Prix will be a bit of a lottery for the most part - as Heavyweight MMA tends to be in general. Mitrione is going to have to trade leather with a fellow heavy hitter at some stage, and his luck may run out. He was quite fortunate against Fedor in his last fight. I could picture a Rampage, Nelson, or Fedor stopping him quite easily. 

Like Lamby, I could see Mitrione giving Bader issues. However, I think Bader matches up well against everyone else. He is quite a big Light Heavyweight, and won't be far off Fedor's size. Also, the likes of Nelson and Mir are not the most imposing of wrestlers. Sonnen couldn't handle Tito Ortiz, so he's unlikely to go too far. Mo might have some success with takedowns, but I suspect he'll get caught out and stopped at some point (like he was against Roid Cop in Japan last year). 

Regardless, I am still looking forward to it. A lot of potential fun fights to be had. 

Edit: Couture and Liddell would be perfect alternates if someone pulls out. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Really Big Shoe said:

Bellator 188 was a good card. Still sounds weird to me having Goldie do announcing outside of the UFC as he is synonymous as the voice of the UFC still.

i thought it was gonna be the briefest main card in MMA history. Until the main event, total fight time was something like 3 minutes. The main event was solid though, and despite being a poor looking show on paper the arena looked packed. Bellator do big business in Israel, and they love the hometown fighters.

Saying that...i thought the co-main event was a work. Haim Gozali is a 44 year old Israeli fighter, the crowd love him but the fight just looked a little off. Arsen Faitovich shot a sloppy shot and seemed to put himself in position for a triangle. I might be wrong, but it all looked a bit too easy.

Other notable was John Salter who is just walking through guys at 185. Bellator's middleweight division is slim so he has to be right in the mix. He's a sleeper for the title in 2018.

• Paid Members

Mitrione and Bader have opened as the betting favorites. If i was take a pick from the other side i might actually take Fedor, i think he has the beating of Mir, Rampage and Sonnen.

Fuck it, im putting the farm on the great man himself.

Fedor has a decent chance of making the final. Mir and Sonnen are possibly more shot than he is. However, Rampage could throw a spanner in the works. In 2017, a brawl between Rampage and Fedor could go one way or another. If Maldonado can give Fedor serious issues, then Rampage certainly can. It all depends on how Rampage matches up against Sonnen. A few years ago, I would have bet on Sonnen, as it's a style match-up that favours him, but these days I think it could easily go either way.

• Paid Members

I still feel Rampage can be a handful for anyone who decides to stand a trade with him, he frustratingly gets stuck in these fights against guys who push him against the fence or try to take him down. Sonnen will be no exception and if he's on his game Sonnen could beat him, but you never know what kind of Chael will show up.

I do love the sound of Rampage/Fedor though. 

Can't wait.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Of all the possible combinations of matchups, Fedor vs Rampage is the one I want to see most. 

Wandy needs get his arse back in there as well. Needs to wash away  the stench of that shit fight against Chael. 

Yeah. Bit gutted they never started with it. If Fedor is going to get battered in a round, I'd take it being from Rampage.

It's an odd tournament this, because at least half the tournament features shot old dudes that can wither at any moment.