Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Just caught up on the two Bellator events from December. What a contract between the two...first of Bellator's show in Newcastle was a bit of a stinker and it looks like an absolute bust at the gate, the arena was pretty much empty, i think they may think twice about hitting random UK towns after this, teamed with BAMMA or not it wasn't a good look. In contrast the Italian show was rammed to the bleachers. It looked and sounded like it sold out based purely on the fact that Alessio Sakara headlined...who went on to get sparked by Carvalho in 40 seconds. I don't think ive ever heard the life getting sucked out of a builiding that quickly before.

• Paid Members

anyway's, scratch all that. If Bellator's end of 2017 felt like it was all a little phoned in, they are coming out of the gate in 2018 with an absolute belter:

Bellator_Lima_vs._MacDonald_Poster.jpg?1

Douglas Lima vs. Rory MacDonald - Welterweight Title

Rampage Jackson vs. Chael Sonnen - Heavyweight Grand Prix Opening Round

Michael Chandler vs. Goiti Yamauchi

Aaron Pico vs. Shane Kruchten

Henry Corrales vs. Georgi Karakhanyan

Cracking stuff.

Lima/MacDonald is pretty much the best fight at 170 that can be made outside of the UFC, it's a must see.

Who fucking knows what happens with Rampage/Chael. If Chael can't take Rampage down he's in a world of shit. I don't expect it to be a good fight and i think there'll be a lot of stalling in grappling positions but i hope Rampage is able to clip Chael because going forward i want to see Rampage in there Fedor in the next round.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i hope Rampage is able to clip Chael because going forward i want to see Rampage in there Fedor in the next round.

Absolutely. Problem there though, is Fedor has to get by Frank Mir first. I know Mir is washed up these days but I'm still not confident in Fedor anymore and Mir will be a fair bit bigger. I hope Fedor wins, I really do. Not sure about it though. 

Thats is a great looking card from Bellator though. I'm interested in all of those fights to some degree and I fucking love Rory vs Lima. That's one I'd happily go out of my way to see. 

• Paid Members

ive gone back and forth on Mir/Fedor but im going with Fedor by TKO. Mir fancies himself as a bit of boxer and Fedor still has the fast hands and packs power to put Mir on queer street. 

Here's hoping...

• Paid Members

I hope so, Egg. Mir has been gone fucking ages as well hasn't he? Without checking, getting put on his arse by Mark Hunt was his last fight before getting USADA'd, wasn't it? And despite losing, Fedor dropped Meathead in June before getting KO'd himself didn't he? He can definitely still crack. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I really hope so too. Mir may be washed up, but it feels like Fedor's been dried and put back in the cupboard. Either way, not really liking that both these guys are fighting. Don't want to see Fedor deteriorating further, and whilst I dislike Mir, it got uncomfortable seeing him take a beating some time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame that Bellator's card this weekend clashes with UFC 220. I am interested in this bill. 

Rampage has come in over 30lbs heavier than Sonnen. Now, 5 years ago, I would have fancied Sonnen to sneak past Rampage by decision if they met at light heavyweight. However, quite a bit has changed for Sonnen since then. He's a shell of the fighter he used to be. He got ragdolled by Tito Ortiz, and while he did beat Wanderlei, he was clipped along the way. It should also be remembered that Wanderlei is very small for 205lbs in this day and age. Rampage has struggled against wrestlers in his career, but he won't be as easily overwhelmed as Wanderlei was. Rampage was always a decent-sized light heavyweight. The fight happening at heavyweight only illuminates Rampage's size advantage, and makes the task even harder for Sonnen. 

I see Rampage winning this one via stoppage. 

• Paid Members

Rampage weighed in at 253, around the same he did for the King Mo fight, he looks in real good nick though. I thought the heavyweight thing might give him reason to slack off training and just come in heavy. I was 50/50 before the weigh-in, now i heavily favour Quinton. Chael will look for a way out as soon as he's clipped.

• Paid Members

As far as I know. It's either on a day's delay or shown a weekend later. This show is the first Bellator show to be shown on the rebranded Paramount network in America, dunno if that affects anything here.

On 19/01/2018 at 7:18 PM, jimufctna24 said:

I see Rampage winning this one via stoppage. 

Any luck?

I watched the final Bellator preview for the fight on Saturday evening. Chael came across as really likeable on it. However, when he hams it up these days - as he did after he got the decision over Rampage - it became a bit cringe-worthy. Chael was always at his best when he was trying so hard, and not in full-on gimmick mode. 

Also, it looks like Rampage vs Fedor will remain a fantasy :(

• Paid Members

it will remain a fantasy, Rampage is a goner.

The fight itself wasn't bad, Rampage at least can't complain that Chael held him down for 3 rounds because there were some extended periods of time spent on the feet. Chael actually did alright for himself on the feet but Rampage is looking slow despite still carrying his natural KO power. It was by no means a classic but it was a decent performance from Chael who has pretty much recovered from that Tito Ortiz disaster.

The Welterweight title fight was exellent though. I had Lima winning 48-47, but i could have leaned toward a draw because the last round was close to a 10-8 for Rory. (Gave Lima 2, 3 & 4). Lima's gotta be kicking himself that let it slip away though, he destroyed Rory's leg and his all sorts of busted up, his defensive wrestling just let him down. Proper Rory may have won the battle but Lima won the war type feeling coming out of this, all the damage was done by one man.

rory-macdonald-shin-bellator-192.jpg?w=6

Did find it weird that Goldy continually talked about both men's losses on commentary though, anyone else pick up on that? Big John did a decent job on his first night.

Aaron Pico is back on track in a big way, what a fucking body shot. Goodnight Vienna.

Edited by Egg Shen