Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Shane Carwin is petitioning on Twitter to be an alternate. I approve. 

the alternate spot is interesting because id say there's a high possibility that the alternate will be used. Carwin would be great and fits the feel of the tournament. Whatever happened to his comeback a few years ago anyway?

There is zero point in an alternate, The matches will be spread over months (Frank Mir Is still suspended for a few months) it's not like Pride with Total Elimination, Critical Countdown & Final Conflict all set for certain days, only one match is going to headline a card, then in the other three fights will happen separately when they can get the guys ready.

Sign Shane Carwin though, fuck knows what he's like now but he was killer in his prime.

• Paid Members

Bellator continues to churn them out...

Bellator_189_Budd_vs._Blencowe_2_Poster.

This is Friday. Continues Bellator's run of shows which are lower on name value, but it's all leading to a pretty exciting looking 2018.

Julia Budd vs. Arlene Blencowe

Chris Honeycutt vs. Rafael Lovato Jr.

Chidi Njokuani vs. Hisaki Kato

Adam Piccolotti vs. Dave Rickles

I have little interest in the main event (which crowns a first female 145lb champ) but that main card is quality. Njokuani/Kato is a great striking fight, Kato was a hell of a find for Bellator. Rickles is always must see, Honeycutt/Lovato is an important fight at 185lb, Honeycutt with a win may grab a title shot or at least set him up for a fight with one of Bellator's big names.

Weirdly the show features the debut of Sam Sicilia against former champ Marcos Galvao and for some reason they've stuck it on the prelims, Sicilia is always good value and Galvai tends to slug it out so im gonna have to try and find the prelims for this one.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

We have tried to get fights it seems like there are no interesting fights and I am not getting younger. Let me just lay my gloves down right here on r/MMA. 

Thank you to each and every one of you. It is odd to be healthy and unable to compete yet able to compete when so unhealthy. I guess we end with never knowing what could have been. 

Somber would be the best way to describe the emotion. Thank you all for the love, the insults and the great times. I will sink back into the mode of being a redditor and my quest to become a mod here. I am also on the hunt for a large Fedora I am like an 8 and 1/2 in hats. <–Mod requirements.

Seriously thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being amazing and making this sport amazing. We feel the love and energy in the cage and it completes the journey. We love what we do because we get to do it for you. 

-Carwin

Big Shane is out the HW Tourny. A boo!

• Paid Members

well, he was never in it to be fair.

The Carwin comeback saga has been weird. I find it hard to believe that if someone of his stature was ready and willing to fight that no one would sign him. There has to be more to it.

• Paid Members

Given the state of the HW division in the UFC, I'm a little surprised they haven't tried to sign him back yet. Especially as he's an entertaining fighter to watch; he's exactly the type of HW people watch HWs for, throwing nuke after nuke.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

well, he was never in it to be fair.

The Carwin comeback saga has been weird. I find it hard to believe that if someone of his stature was ready and willing to fight that no one would sign him. There has to be more to it.

We had hope, though. Quite clearly Coker isn't into the idea, which is a shame. Carwin is perfect Bellator fodder too.

32 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Given the state of the HW division in the UFC, I'm a little surprised they haven't tried to sign him back yet. Especially as he's an entertaining fighter to watch; he's exactly the type of HW people watch HWs for, throwing nuke after nuke.

He may not want to USADA testing, I'm not saying he's on anything but it can be a hindrance and they have started doing after hour checks, that's a pain for everybody.

They rightly or wrongly test people more if they think they are on something and given the size of him I would expect him to be tested more.

On 11/29/2017 at 12:27 PM, Egg Shen said:

Bellator continues to churn them out...

Bellator_189_Budd_vs._Blencowe_2_Poster.

Minor news, but former UFC fighter Alexis Dufresne was meant to fight on the card (vs. Amber Leibrock), but the fight has been scrapped after Dufresne missed weight by an undisclosed amount (apparently 10lbs). She has now missed weight five times in a row.