Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

when Smith mentioned it i think he was factoring in Kongo's kickboxing background aswell. Despite not being in many notable UFC/Bellator wars any 40 year old who's been competing for 20+ years has no doubt taken their fair share of knocks...lets not forget also Kongo's MMA career started in Holland fighting crazy bastards like Gilbert Yvel.

• Paid Members

well Bellator 181 came and went with little fan-fair on Friday night, i even forgot to post a little reminder it was on. Considering the week it had to follow it's not suprising as it was a pretty flat looking card on paper, however...

Brandon Girtz and Derek Campos had one of the fights of the year in the main event, i'd even wager to say if they'd been allowed to have a 3rd round this may very well have gone on to be the fight of the year. Just an all out war, both guys throwing nasty shots non-stop, it was pure violence. Both guys wobbled on occasions and neither taking a backward step, i hope word gets out there and peopke get to see it because it fell on one of Bellator's most low-key cards of the year. I can't believe the doctor actually allowed them to have a 2nd round because the cut on Girtz forehead was ridiculous. Hopefully we get to see a 4th fight and people are paying attention, i'd like to see them get a spot on one of the bigger shows later in the year, insane.

hqdefault.jpg

Rest of the card was listless type stuff except for John Salter proving again he may be one of the sleeper 185'lbers in the world. He's not been overly active and im not sure how well he'll fair on the feet against someone like Mousasi but his ground game is tremendous, just sliced through guys and finishes fights, talk is he's next for a title shot.

Only other notable fight (not arsed about the women's fight) was Joe Warren coming back to win. Horrible fight, Warren won easily but he basically clung onto Steve Garcia and wrestled his way to a decision. I like Joe Warren but he's like a bad smell that won't shift, you think he's finished but then he comes back and wins again, unless someone can stop a Warren takedown though this is the kind of fight you're always gonna get.

Go watch that main event!

• Paid Members

Great fight right there, thanks for posting it Ebb, there's no way I would have thought to have hunted it down with the amount of content out there this week and last. 

Great fight, Bellator could slowly pick up steam if they have fights like that across the board. Could that have been their Bonner/Griffin?. That was a massive game changer for the UFC. Bellator needs something to get away from being the WCW of MMA image. Their iPPV with Fedor, Wandy et al was a really good to great show with some fun moments. Maybe putting that show on free during prime time would have gained them new fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, take this with a pinch of salt, but Sonnen is claiming that his next fight in Bellator will likely be against Chuck Liddell. It could very well just be Chael being Chael, but Hackleman didn't rule out a Liddell comeback when asked a few months ago.

Edited by jimufctna24

To be fair, if he was looking to come back for one fight then Sonnen would be ideal. He's not a heavy hitter, and he's on a major slide.

At worst Liddell will be taken down and held down for three frames like Wanderlei was. At best he half-catches Chael, and Chael does what he usually does and collapses in a heap.

• Paid Members

As a Wanderlei fan, it's sad for me to admit but I'd actually give Chuck a better shot at beating Chael than I ever gave Wandy, even a Chuck Liddell that's been out of the game for 7 years. I always felt like Chael was all wrong for Wand. Whereas Liddell had that sprawl and takedown defence plus that killer punch. If he comes back (and I'm VERY sceptical, given that Chael's the only source at the minute) and can resharpen that takedown defence, then I'd give him a decent shot. Like David says, it's not like Chael's a hitter. If he's forced to stand with Chuck, I think he loses. And how bad would that look? He's already been shown up by a retiring Tito Ortiz this year. Imagine if he then lost to a Chuck Liddell who's not fought since 2010?! Even worse, how would that look for Wandy that Chael lost to these guys but was still able to dominate him? :( 

I'd say I doubt it even happens but at this point Chuck coming back and fighting in Bellator doesn't even seem that outrageous considering we're going to be watching Mayweather vs McGregor THIS MONTH! 

• Paid Members

Wand has simply never had great takedown defence either. He's got really good defensive BJJ off his back but stopping the takedown was always the weakest area of his game. So Chael was always likely going to be able to take him down at will but never come close to a finish. I thought it was the easiest fight to predict ever - Chael by decision. I was surprised how many people were picking Wanderlei. Although I did momentarily scream like a little girl when Wandy dropped him that time. Bastard got my hopes up.