Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

22 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Daley likely didnt do himself favour run-wise because he's taken very tough fights outside of the UFC, i credit him for that though.Ā 

Bellator no doubt values Daley and see's where they can use his popularity to sell these shows, i imagine he's getting well looked after.

Nah, not having that. Aside from getting smashed up by Lima and MacDonald who has he fought in the last five years?Ā 

Edited by Marshmallo

I expected Rory to win but I didnā€™t think heā€™d win so handily. Daley had nothing for him, outside of his defending against that first takedown, which Rory still ended up getting. Rory should win the welterweight title in Bellator because heā€™s far and away their best welterweight. I wish Ben Askren was still there because at least his wrestling should, in theory, give Rory something of a challenge, a challenge I donā€™t think Rory will face against the rest of the welterweights in Bellator.

Daley physically going after MVP was not a surprise because Daley has always been short tempered and unable to control himself once he gets going, and heā€™d clearly worked himself up in verbally going after MVP. That part was a smart move for Daley to make, not so much for setting up a fight with MVP, but because it took all of the attention away from the fact that heā€™d just been made to look completely ineffective.

Speaking of which, Liam McGeary showed that he still has gaping holes in his game. It looked like he learned nothing from the Phil Davis fight, because his takedown defence was nonexistent. Linton Vassell isnā€™t a great or even good wrestler, but he was taking McGeary down without even breaking a sweat. You would have thought that the Davis fight would have inspired McGeary to work on takedown defence, but he clearly hadnā€™t because Vassell took him down with relative ease every time he wanted to.

I think Linton Vassell is really good, a much better overall fighter than McGeary. I had him ahead on points against Emanuel Newton in their first fight before he got caught. But I donā€™t think he can beat Phil Davis, who will probably, hopefully, beat Ryan Bader and remain light heavyweight champion. Davis is just too good a wrestler and I donā€™t think Vassell will stop his takedowns. Iā€™d like to get proven wrong, though, for a lot of reasons.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Nah, not having that. Aside from getting smashed up by Lima and MacDonald who has he fought in the last five years?Ā 

yeh, on second inspection i see what you're saying. Daley's best win in that period was likely the Brennan Ward win...despite the lack of names i still credit Daley for staying active and fighting on a regular basis in that period though and stayed relevant, and he's taken care of business in spectacular fashion.

Anyways, about last night...

* Daley was always a terrible matchup for Rory, the only question going in was if the Lawler defeat had really changed Rory and if he'd try and have a similar kind of fight with Daley. He wanted nothing to do with that though and smartly took Daley out. Daley hadn't been stopped in 7 years and has gone the distance in his losses in that period so for Rory to do with so clinically and seemly easily was massively impressive. Rory is the man, him and Lima is a fight i really want to see.

Daley/MVP has to happen as well, some people will moan about he language and the antics "bad for the sport" and all that rubbish but it sets it up perfectly. As Michael Schiavallo said on MMA Junkie last week "these aren't ballerina's".

* Linton Vassell looked very good, he even put in some decent work standup in before shooting the takedown. I always felt it was a poor matchup for McGeary. McGeary's lack of takedown defence in his day and age is a headscratcher though, i think it comes down to him having so much success previously with fighting off his back that he simply doesn't focus on it, he's paying for it now though.

* Cheick Kongo is a cure for insomnia. Bellators hevyweight division is a mess as it is and having Kongo in there just makes the whole thing more depressing. Harsh perhaps but Kongo's complete risk free and laboured approach to fighting is just not good for the fans. He's earning his money but i wouldn't be upset if Bellator cut Kongo loose.

My bet rolls on though, had Vassell/Rory and Kongo/Sakai (more than 1.5 rounds). Need Beltran and Davis in the boxing tonight for a hundred clams.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, seanz25 said:

Anyone there? How full was the arena? On TV it appeared about half full to be honest. Bellator keep coming here and booking big venues but not filling them out, unless I'm wrong?

Half way through the prelims I was making plans to sneak into a better seat. By the time the main card started it was full - looked like a sell out.

• Paid Members

A fight with MVP is still money though. That fight needs to happen.

Was wondering about what Daley said after the fight about "ive got something on you" with reference to Page. I thought initially it would have been something to do with Daley's initial claims about Page faking injury, but then thought if it was perhaps something a little more unsavoury and had something to do with MVP's dads molestation case, that could get messy.

Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Guy Bifkin said:

I fell asleep during the Cheick Kongo fight so missed the co and main event.Ā 

I think that's the worst MMA fight I've ever seen. I hate it when the crowd boo a fight, but it was hard to sympathise with the fighters for that one. Neither of them seemed to care if they won or lost.

2 hours ago, David said:

Ā 

He looks good against guys who stand in front of him and bang, but against anyone who's remotely top level? He's the drizzling shits.

Itā€™s not so much top level guys that do that; itā€™s anyone with a decent ground game. Daley is very poor on the ground. Obviously youā€™ve got to get him there first, but once you do, Daley has nothing to threaten people with and his defence is limited at best. Daley is a smaller Anthony Johnson, except he doesnā€™t crumble when faced with adversity.

Daleyā€™s limitations are why, even had the UFC not fired him, he wouldnā€™t had any lengthy run. Once he hit the top tier or the fighters with strong wrestling, he would have lost enough fights to get sent packing. Daley would probably end up being one of those fighters who did great outside the UFC, got brought back after piling up a winning streak, and perhaps won a fight or two before his weaknesses were once again exposed and was then sent packing again. The cycle would repeat itself and keep going until one of Daley or the UFC decided against doing business.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chunk said:

I think that's the worst MMA fight I've ever seen. I hate it when the crowd boo a fight, but it was hard to sympathise with the fighters for that one. Neither of them seemed to care if they won or lost.

yeh, an absolute shocker. There was a moment in round 3 where Sakai fell down and Kongo dropped into his guard like he was getting down to have a nap.

They summed it up on commentary when they said Kongo had been in a lot of wars and is at the stage in his career where hes not up for taking risks. God bless him for that, but from a spectator standpoint it's brutal to watch.

• Paid Members

Has Kongo even been in a lot of warsĀ though? It seems like he's lived off the fumes ofĀ that Pat Barry fight since itĀ happened but if you look back over his career, he's always been a bit of a boring bastard. The only times he really looked good were when he was beating up slugs like Mostapha Al-Turk and Dan Evensen aroundĀ 2008. Even the win over Cro Cop was a bit of a dull andĀ plodding affair. He's just not an exciting fighter to watch and he never was. The Barry fight was the exception to the rule. His fights with Meathead and Shawn Jordan in the UFC were about as shite as this Sakai one.Ā 

He's proof that you can't go on looks in MMA. If it was based on look then Kongo would've been UFC champion for years. I remember watching the Kongo vsĀ MarkĀ Hunt fight once with a mate who doesn't really follow MMA. He took one look at Kongo -Ā muscles on top of muscles and looking like a black Sagat off Street Fighter - and he was 100% sure that fatty Hunt was going to die.Ā Kongo justĀ looks like such a badass. Plus he's got the cool voice and the coolĀ name. Scary staredown. Then the bellĀ rings and the fun ends.Ā