Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

YES!

In fact, sod Bellator. Let Rizin do it. They'll do it properly.

Fedor vs Chael

Wandy vs Manhoef

PED Cro Cop vs Akebono

Gabi Garcia vs Bob Sapp

Tell me you wouldn't watch that.

Problem is they'd probably add Sakuraba vs Shane Carwin as well :(

That London card should be on Channel 5, I think they Spike US, can get away with 12 big Saturday show and not go toe to toe with the UFCs and the rest regular Friday Night Shows with more up and comers.

McDonald Vs Daley. MVP Vs Derek Anderson. McGeary Vs Linton Vasell, James Gallagher Vs AJ McKee, plus an other fight and Bamma can handle the undercard, that's a top of the line for British MMA.

Edited by the_mole

• Paid Members

Well happy with Mcgeary and Gallagher being added to the London card. Probably looking forward to it more than the UFC show now.

What's the protocol on spoilers for shows broadcast with a delay in the UK? Wait until it's aired over here before talking about it?

Edited by Chunk

• Paid Members

im a bit behind this week, i still haven't seen the Irish show and have avoided spoilers until now but there's another Bellator this Friday. Its gonna be buried under the UFC and boxing going on but i thought i'd still update the thread:

Bellator_174_Coenen_vs_Budd_Poster.png

Main Card:

Marloes Coenen vs. Julia Budd - Inaugural Women's 145lb Title Fight

Kendall Grove vs. Mike Rhodes

Fernando Gonzales vs. Brandon Girtz

Steve Garcia vs. Joe Taimanglo

Not quite sure what to make of the main event, the UFC's 145lb is thin but Bellator's is even thinner, it just feels like crowning a champion to kick start a division. If women's MMA is to flourish i think all these women need to be fighting under the same umbrella because there aint a lot of talent to go around.

Mike Rhodes in the co-main event rings a bell for some reason. I looked at his record and he had a 0-3 run in the UFC and i can't recall any of the fights but for some reason i remember him, can't think why though? not sure if he was involved in something conroversial or something like that?

• Paid Members

Difficult to give a shit about this card. I find the smaller Bellator shows to be a bit like the big show under cards - I.e. nothing there to really make it something you can't miss.

Edited by Chunk

• Paid Members

All I remember about Mike Rhodes is that he was a Roufus guy and trained with Pettis, Askren etc.

Speaking of Ben Askren, what's happening with him now? He still ragdolling jobbers in Asia? He's going to go down as one of the real 'what ifs?' of MMA when we look back in years to come.

He's undefeated but he did get rag dolled by a jacked up looking Braziliian fighter who didn't make weight, only landed one TD the full fight after an accidental thumb in the eye and that's how the fight got stopped, it was him getting took down but I think think he weighted about 8-10lbs more than him.

• Paid Members

All I remember about Mike Rhodes is that he was a Roufus guy and trained with Pettis, Askren etc.

Speaking of Ben Askren, what's happening with him now? He still ragdolling jobbers in Asia? He's going to go down as one of the real 'what ifs?' of MMA when we look back in years to come.

Maybe that's what it is then.

Askren is due to fight in One soon. If he ends his career there it's gonna one of the great 'what if' stories in MMA history.

Askren has 5 or 6 fights left on his One contract and has said he will probably retire after that. He is on decent money there so why swap 100'000 just to show for 15k and 15k in the UFC plus 2000 from Reebok. He has said the UFC mega low balled him then Dana publicly talked shit about him so he just thinks "Fuck them". 

• Paid Members

Oh I completely get why Askren did what he did. If One FC were offering him a better deal he'd have been an idiot not to take it. But just from a fan's perspective it's a shame how it all played out. Askren didn't do himself any favours either, he liked to antagonise Dana whenever he'd get the chance. And we all know Dana's reasoning for not signing him - that he hadn't beaten anyone worthy - was total bollocks. Especially when CM Punk gets signed with zero fights and barely any martial arts experience at all. That was just Dana's public reasoning. The real reason was most likely a mix of Dana thinking Askren's fighting style was boring, Askren still having the Bellator stink on him at the time and Askren and Dana's personalities clashing and them just generally rubbing each other the wrong way. A mix of all that.

I wonder if there's a better or worse chance of Askren in the UFC now there's new owners?

Not quite sure what to make of the main event, the UFC's 145lb is thin but Bellator's is even thinner, it just feels like crowning a champion to kick start a division. If women's MMA is to flourish i think all these women need to be fighting under the same umbrella because there aint a lot of talent to go around.

Also a strange fight for the title given that Coenen lost her last fight and the woman who beat her is fighting on the prelims.