Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Absolutely agree he should stay retired, no question. Just that, if he did​ come out of retirement for just one match, this would be the match to do it. I don't think there's much argument for staying out of retirement for "just one more match" with the others, as theoretically he had plenty of time to fight Wanderlei and Rampage, not to mention that neither of those guys, great as they are, have the mystique and "rarity" Fedor has - he just wasn't available for so long, and went through a chunk of his career not fighting the UFC guys, plus Tito was at one point considered the absolute best in the world, no?

plus Tito was at one point considered the absolute best in the world, no?

From 2000 to 2002 he was considered the best Light Heavyweight on the planet. He was also the UFC biggest drawing card. I wouldn't say he was the outright best fighter in the world though. Sakuraba probably held that title in relative terms. While Big Nog or Fedor would have probably won in an open weight field. 

• Paid Members

Tito was also fucked because almost as soon as he was the top man, Chuck Liddell was coming up and was right on his arse. Leading to Tito going all 'but me and Chuck are bestest friends, we'd never fight each other' and Chuck hilariously saying the opposite.

Tito's reign on top was pretty horrible actually. After he lost to Frank Shamrock in 99 he did a good job dominating the division for the next few years. But most of the fights were awful. The Matyushenko fight in particular was just dire. He even dragged Wandy into a dud around that time. There were times he shined like the Tanner fight and the first mauling of Ken Shamrock. But on the whole he was crap to watch. Probably one of the main reasons Chuck became so popular because he was the opposite to that.

Edited by wandshogun09

He ripped through Sinosic as well. That might not mean much now, but it left an impression at the time. Elvis was coming off a submission win over Jeremy and a draw against Franky Shams. Chuck did have a few duds during that period - but yeah - he was the more pleasing fighter to watch. Other than the Tanner TKO, there wasn't much you could put on an Ortiz highlight reel other than his entrance and him gobbing off. With Chuck, you had the Sobral knockout, him flooring Belfort, and his stoppage win over Randleman. 

Chuck was always going to be a nightmare match-up for Tito. It seems so obvious now, and it did at the time to most insiders. However, the shine had been taken off Chuck by the time Tito actually faced him. After Rampage and Couture beat Chuck, it was commonly accepted that Tito would be able to score takedowns on him. Tito entered their first fight as betting favourite. 

• Paid Members

Tito stood out more due to his charisma and persona at the time. He was the top dog in a poor division but he was one of only a few guys in the UFC at that time that demanded the attention and made people want to watch despite not having a very crowd friendly style. He was a trailblazer no doubt.

Tito stood out more due to his charisma and persona at the time. He was the top dog in a poor division but he was one of only a few guys in the UFC at that time that demanded the attention and made people want to watch despite not having a very crowd friendly style. He was a trailblazer no doubt.

He provided as good a spectacle as you were going to get in US MMA at the time. It wasn't a patch on what Sapp and Pride were doing in Japan, but the Ortiz Show did provide the UFC with its biggest nights since the mid-90's. As I've said in the past, Ortiz's shtick hasn't aged well. It was probably a big naff at the time. However, he was a massive deal in MMA from 2000-2004, and then again for a 18 month period from 2006-2007. 

• Paid Members

Apparently there's a presale for the London show tomorrow and Friday. Any idea how you can find out what the prices will be ahead of time? Drives me nuts that you have to wait until the rush of the presale window to plan what you're going to spend!

• Paid Members

don't know Chunk but for the last London show im sure they were pretty similar to what the UFC charges.

Cheers. Yeah they start at £35 (£40 with motherfucking charges) and go up from there. Wrongly assumed it's at The O2 though. It's at Wembley, which makes the cheap seats worthless because the venue shape is a rectangle.

• Paid Members

No extras needed. I think they just brought the presale forward a week. Bagged a ticket for £57. Cheapest will set you back £41 but honestly the floor plan makes it look like you'll have a shitty view in those seats.

• Paid Members

Looking at the layout, the £75 tickets seems good value for the view that you will be getting. It's the first MMA fight card in a while in this country I've been tempted to go to, and I think that's a huge achievement for Bellator (assuming that there are fans over here in a similar boat to me).

• Paid Members

Fuck Wandy vs Chael. This is the fight I want to see Bellator booking...

jgVz7.jpg

Coker needs to get on this. Imagine a card where Bellator has say a Fedor vs Chael main event, a Wandy vs Manhoef co-main and then fills the undercard with the likes of Pitbull, Semtex, MVP or whoever. I guess they'd be more likely to spread those fights out over a couple of shows but purely as a fan it'd be great to see a big card like that.

What's the deal with Wanderlei's ban now? When can he actually fight again?

Coker needs to get on this. Imagine a card where Bellator has say a Fedor vs Chael main event, a Wandy vs Manhoef co-main and then fills the undercard with the likes of Pitbull, Semtex, MVP or whoever. I guess they'd be more likely to spread those fights out over a couple of shows but purely as a fan it'd be great to see a big card like that.

We're still Pride fanboys at heart aren't we?