Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Who cares if Mitrione would beat them? At this point he likely beats Fedor as well. It's simply a case of me preferring those matchups over the Fedor vs Meathead one. Fedor's most likely got a very limited number of fights left in him. I have no desire to see one of those used up on Matt bastard Mitrione.

And why shouldn't he have fought Rizzo and Monson? Fedor isn't in his prime anymore. If he was in the UFC now getting cabbaged every other fight by younger more in form fighters we'd all be saying he has no business in there with top guys anymore like we were saying about Big Nog for the last few years of his career. If Fedor wants to fight, I'd much rather see him in with guys in a similar boat to him - fading names who he can have some fun fights with. Fedor vs Wandy for example. If Bellator could put together that Pride dream match a decade after Pride closed down that'd be cool as fuck. Same with Rampage. Fedor vs Chael might've lost some lustre with Chael getting squashed by Tito but it's still a big fight for Bellator. Those are the kind of fights Fedor should be in at this point. Fedor vs Mitrione left me cold. I'm glad it's off.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

They were washed up, you're right, but I didn't deny that. But them being washed up had nothing to do with my point about not being interested in Fedor vs Mitrione either. All I was saying was I'm hoping they don't rebook it as I'd rather see Fedor against someone else.

Apparently Chael Sonnen, King Mo and Tito Ortiz all offered to step in last minute against Fedor. Fucking Tito. He's not going to stay retired is he? He should, he won't get a better farewell than what he got really, but you just know his retirement probably won't stick.

I'm not so much surprised that Tito intended to go back on his retirement, more that he was willing to do so less than a month removed from it. I also agree that Fedor's Bellator career should be spent fulfilling long-standing fantasy match-ups. I don't really see a downside. Those sort of fights suit Fedor at this stage of his career, and they will put more money in Bellator's till. Everyone wins. 

Here is what Coker said about re-scheduling the Mitrione fight. 

While an initial press release from the California-based promotion stated that Emelianenko vs. Mitrione would be rescheduled at a later date, that matchup is apparently not set in stone.
“You guys might ask, ‘Is it gonna be Matt?’ I’m not sure of Matt’s illness and how long it will take, or if this will be a continuous situation,” Coker said. “We can talk about the timeline.”

The last-minute nature of the cancellation was undoubtedly a devastating blow to the promotion, particularly in terms of ratings on Spike. Still, Emelianenko is under contract and will eventually compete under the Bellator banner. “We’re gonna reschedule this fight. There will be another opportunity for everyone to come out and watch Fedor fight,” Coker said. “It is special because Fedor is an athlete that has already done it all. He doesn’t even have to fight, but he’s here because he wants to compete.”

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

On the broadcast it says several fights were offered to Fedor but he decided not to take them...one i imagine was the Sonnen fight. I'm surprised Chael didn't mention it on commentary though, he did have a sly dig at Fedor's promo skills after his in-ring interview though.

The show itself ended up being pretty good.

* Josh Kosheck needs to hang them up for good now. It's probably best the Paul Daley fight never happened because on that form Koscheck would have ended up getting knocked out badly. Being flattened by BJJ based fighter should be enough to tell Koscheck that it's time to ride off into the sunset. Shoutout to Mauricio Alonso for his post-fight speech too, good work with that.

* Cheick Kongo did what he usually does. He double legged Oli Thompson and controlled his way to victory. Kongo to his credit did up the damage he was doing from top and he should glimpses of his old kickboxing style on the feet, it was just all abit dull again. Kongo's now won 4 straight and you'd think Bellator would be priming for a shot at the vacant belt but i aint so sure they want to go down that route, he wasn't even granted a post-fight interview.

* The added Tokov/France fight was a nice addition. Tokov is one of Fedor's protege's and looked a bit of a tank. He survived a submission scare but should some Fedor-esque power with the ground and pount in round 2. Hope Bellator keep him around as part of the Fedor deal.

* Biggest surprise in the main event was that Pitbull finished Josh Thomson. Thomson is durable as hell but Pitbull's power just carved through him, doubly impressive when you consider Pitbull was coming off one of the worst KO losses of last year. Might have put a halt to a potential Benson/Thomson rematch in the process.

057_Josh_Thomson_vs_Patricky_Freire.0.0.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm sure I read that Fedor was offered the Chael fight. Helwani tweeted that Chael was really pushing hard to get the fight but it just didn't happen. He said he asked Chael who declined the fight - Fedor, Bellator/Coker or the California commission - and Chael said he didn't know. It was probably Fedor though.

You just know now when they do book Fedor vs Chael, Chael is going to be all over that. I can just hear him now - "I was ready to bite down on my mouthpiece and go to work on less than a day's notice. They asked Fedor if he wanted to fight me and he ran and hid." He'll love it.

Meathead can piss off.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I don't blame Tito for wanting to un-retire for a match with Fedor. I'd think any fighter who had a high-profile career would do the same, just for the potential earnings. It doesn't necessarily mean in itself that Tito would become the Terry Funk of MMA.

That said, he's the last high-profile name I'd match up with Fedor. Maybe as a bucket list match, as it might be interesting for all of 30 seconds, but the priorities should probably be Chael, Rampage, Wanderlei, and maybe at an outside chance Manhoef at LHW?

• Paid Members

Tito needs to leave it where it is. He has as good a send-off as he could have hoped for.

100% this.

I understand why he'd be tempted but he needs to quit while he's ahead. There'll always be potential name fights pop up. After Fedor there'd be Wandy or Rampage or a fucking fourth fight with Shamrock. Where do you draw the line? At some point you have to just stop and admit you're done. And what better time for him to do that than coming off a win over Chael the way he did. In 2017, that's the best it's getting for Tito. He needs to leave it alone. His body has been falling to bits for years, the way he was talking at the post-fight presser after the Sonnen fight, it's time to hang the flamed shorts up for good.