Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Its clearly some kind of deal to get a Champion crowned asap, and if Dufesne wins and Coenen wins you have a nailed in rematch/first defence job i suppose.

Edited by Egg Shen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bellator returns Friday. It's the one weekend of the year where it should all be about the wrestling, but im planning watching this at some point to break it up.

Bellator-175-Rampage-vs-King-Mo-2-Fight-

Main Card:

Rampage Jackson vs. King Mo

Emmanuel Sanchez vs. Marcos Galvao

Sergei Kharitnaov vs. Chase Gormley

Jake Roberts vs. Steve Kozola

Lloyd Carter vs. Noad Lahat

Well, the main event is a biggish one for Bellator, i imagine it draws casual eyes and nostalgic type fans but it's hardly a fight that the hardcore fans were clamouring for. The Rampage/Mo feud has always been abit of a strange one, it didn't help that the first fight didn't exactly set the world on fire. The selling point going in really is that most people believe Mo won the first fight yet Rampage took the decision (i cant remember how i scored it, i may re-view it before the weekend). An in interesting point going in that the fight is taking place at heavyweight and Rampage has stated that he plans on going in at 265lb which is fucking crazy, he may be bluffing. Mo by decision has to be the smart money here.

Sergei Kharitanov returns after a disastrous Bellator debut. I'd love to see Sergei go on some kind of a run though, he's one of the Pride guys who never really picked up any momentum with the US fans after Pride went down, he's fought a lot but outside of two Strikeforce fights it was all a little under the radar. If anyone questioned how much Sergei had left before debuting in Bellator though, they have to be thinking it even more now because he got KO'd bad.

Cheers for the heads up. I would not have known about this otherwise. It's a needless rematch. I had Mo winning the first fight, but it was hardly anything to write home about. My memory isn't the best, but I seem to recall Mo fought not to lose. Rampage didn't look good either. 

Given the talent Sergei showcased in his younger years, he really should have got his act together at some point, and launched a credible campaign in the UFC. Heavyweight MMA is fickle, especially in recent years. Form can be everything. For example, him losing to Barnett in Strikeforce doesn't mean zilch in the grand scheme of things.

If Duffee and Arlovski could have some success in today's UFC after some of their earlier defeats, I don't see why Sergei could not have been a serious contender at some stage. Look at how Werdum and Hunt re-invented themselves over the years, and addressed their weaknesses. The scope was there for Sergei if you ask me. He could have become much more than what he is. Even now, 36 isn't that old in Heavyweight MMA, but you get the feeling he will end up being a "what if" 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

:laugh: just couldn't help myself.

Chael was on the MMA Hour yesterday. The full thing's on YouTube but here's a snippet of it. Fucking Wandy phones in, in full on indecipherable Brazilian Iron Sheik mode no less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=rn1zR0OAcoY

I am a man. He is a man. I have two balls. He have two balls. So let's do it..

Wanderlei is fried. I don't know how much of it is just that he doesn't speak English well and how much of it is actually him being punchy. But I didn't catch much of what the hell he was on about at all there. And Chael is like listening to a politician on Question Time for me these days. I just don't buy anything he's saying at all. This is going to be one of the weirdest fight build ups ever. A man you can't believe vs a man you can't understand.

• Paid Members

I'll obviously watch it (I sat through the whole of Kimbo/Dada ffs) but this Wand/Chael fight is utterly tragic stuff. Silva shouldn't be anywhere near a cage & Chael is going through the motions for cash. It's a bit grim.

• Paid Members

It's a shit thing to say, but I hope they both come in juiced to the gills for this one. Sonnen obviously isn't the same off TRT and Silva has probably been juiced since birth. The fact the NYSAC doesn't have a stringent testing system in place makes me hopeful they may sneak past the tests. 

• Paid Members

i heard somewhere the other day (believe it was on the MMA Hour) that they were surprised it was in NYC. I was lead to believe that they believed the NYSAC were overly strict and wouldn't take any messing from Sonnen/Silva. I may have heard wrong though.

Rampage was on the Big Brown Breakdown this week:

Not listened to this one yet but Schuab's show has started to become a must-listen for me. Schaub's actual breakdowns and opinions aren't upto much really but his interviews are really good. Rampage sits in from the 1 hour 7 mark.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i heard somewhere the other day (believe it was on the MMA Hour) that they were surprised it was in NYC. I was lead to believe that they believed the NYSAC were overly strict and wouldn't take any messing from Sonnen/Silva. I may have heard wrong though.

Compared to California, the NYSAC are a breeze. Sonnen was subjected to relentless testing for his fight with Ortiz, but admittedly it was also due to his failed test in California after his first fight with Anderson Silva.

This was from Helwani's twitter account and his discussions with Scott Coker:-

"Coker says they are abiding by the NYSAC's drug testing procedures. Unfortunately that response didn't fly 5 years ago, let alone in 2017."

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

they must have been talking with relation to how lax it all it is then, fishy shit.

I think it's also due to the NYSAC still being in it's infancy when it comes to MMA as well. I can't envision them randomly testing Bellator's fighters at this early stage. 

California really are leading the way in terms of athletic commissions when it comes to the sport and the way it's ran.