TUF 23 * Team Joanna vs. Team Claudia * Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just been listening to the MMA Beat and Luke Thomas is talking about the complete lack of interest in this seasons TUF, it has the lowest ratings ever and Luke Thomas mentioned that there's no chat at all about it on social media...to sum it up, not one of the 4 journalists on the Beat could name one semi-finalist on the show. It's not a good sign. Crazy to think that everyone who came of the initial seasons of the show came off as a bit of an MMA celebrity in some regard.

Ariel argues the point that he has non-MMA fans (including his grandfather) who have speaking to him about this season of TUF being their first taste of MMA, and that they like what they see. I guess the show has a purpose outside of the MMA bubble.

• Paid Members

Like with so many seasons before, I've watched the first episode, enjoyed it, and then found myself not being arsed to watch anymore.

I don't know why, it just seems like a chore to keep up with TUF or get around to watching it at all, yet when I'm watching it is enjoyable. 

Basically the format is fucked, no one gives a shit anymore. 

• Paid Members

The weird thing for me is, I can happily rewatch old TUFs but very rarely can I be fucked to watch a new season. The only ones I've really kept up with in recent years were the Rousey vs Tate, McGregor vs Faber and the Strawweights season with Pettis and Melendez coaching. And I only really stuck with them because the first two involved Rousey and McGregor and the strawweight one had a proper tournament to crown a champion at the end.

So I can be dragged back in when they come up with something to hook me. But gone are the days when I'd watch every season without fail and be looking for TUF previews and stuff weeks before it starts. The format is stale as fuck and we've all got lives to lead.

I love Joanna Jedrzejczyk. She's become one of my absolute favourite fighters over the last year or two. And her and her biggest rival coaching against each other, even with all the reports that they got into a full-on fight during filming, still hasn't got me watching. There's not much that would now either, to be honest. Bar a Rousey vs Cyborg season or a Michael Bisping vs Nick Diaz (just IMAGINE that!) season or something like that.

Outside of Rampage/Evans, I think this has been my favourite season of TUF. Not quite the great cast of characters, but there's a few standouts who I love to see on camera, and JJ/Claudia's rivalry has been pretty intense at points. I'm as excited for the live finale as I am UFC 200 at this point.

• Paid Members

the cast of characters is what i feel the show lacks nowadays. Even though the show is the same length it all seems so brief, fighters tend to pop up in later episodes that i swear weren't there before.

Bring back Junie Browning.

Outside of Rampage/Evans, I think this has been my favourite season of TUF. Not quite the great cast of characters, but there's a few standouts who I love to see on camera, and JJ/Claudia's rivalry has been pretty intense at points. I'm as excited for the live finale as I am UFC 200 at this point.

I liked the McGregor/Faber TUF especially the comments Conor made to Uriah about his dress sense and such and Uriah then making comments back. But this has been one of the better ones too, where there is a real rivalry among the coaches like there is with Joanna & Claudia you keep wanting to tune in to see if what will happen next.

the cast of characters is what i feel the show lacks nowadays. Even though the show is the same length it all seems so brief, fighters tend to pop up in later episodes that i swear weren't there before.

Bring back Junie Browning.

This is a solid point. I'm currently on holidays, so I've spent today catching up on the whole season of TUF, and no one stands out at all personality wise. All talented fighters, and a couple of the women are attractive, but there's nothing else really.

Joanna Champion is great. She's a complete heel in this thing, but I can't really root against her, because you can see she's just ultra competitive and looking for that mental edge. She's the only real character in the whole thing. All Claudia really says back is "you're so funny". Joanna has single-handedly got me looking forward to her fight more than anything on Fight Week besides Lesnar-Hunt.

Robbery! Again! Gadelha had the first three rounds (6 takedowns and a knockdown), arguably one of them a 10-8. I think they ended giving JJ a 10-8. At best for JJ it was a draw.

Yeah, I had it three rounds to two in favour of Gadelha as well. I thought maybe I'd just seen round 3 as her being more effective than she really was.

Robbery! Again! Gadelha had the first three rounds (6 takedowns and a knockdown), arguably one of them a 10-8. I think they ended giving JJ a 10-8. At best for JJ it was a draw.

I though JJ won the last 3 fairly clearly and Claudia the first 2 clearly. Was definitely a scoring of a 10-8 round in at least one judges score for JJ. Not quite sure if I agree there was a round that deserved that. Really enjoyable fight.

• Paid Members

The outcome wasn't a robbery, but it could have gone either way. First 2 rounds were clearly Gadelha's and the last 2 Joanna's. Round 3 really could have gone either way. Joanna landed more, but Gadelha got the 2 takedowns and elbows.

What I'm finding worrying is how easy the judges are giving out 10-8's. 10-8's should be given out for total domination and real damage. The last 2 were clearly Joanna's but at no point did Gadelha look in serious trouble.

• Paid Members

Yeah, you can make the argument for both of them winning that fight. Not even close to a robbery. I'll need to rewatch the 3rd round, but I thought JJ just sneaked it. Gadelha got a takedown, but did nothing with it and Joanna quickly managed to get top position, do some damage, and then out for more stand up wizardry. Same when she held JJ against the cage, Joanna seemed to get out without a problem and usually landed. It depends how you rate fighters grinding against a fence, or holding on to their leg for a wee while. Gadelha was in some good positional situations but all I can really remember her doing with it, impact wise, was an elbow that stunned Joanna against the fence.

Great fight and I probably will watch it tomorrow. Joanna is right up there with some of the best for being entertaining to watch. Can't wait to see her next.

Archived