The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread *MMA Edition*

Egg Shen

I actually like Rogan on commentary.  To a total ignoramus like me, I really enjoy him explaining what is happening and why they are attacking/blocking certain moves.  Then again, I've only been watching again for a few months.

• Paid Members

I actually like Rogan on commentary.  To a total ignoramus like me, I really enjoy him explaining what is happening and why they are attacking/blocking certain moves.  Then again, I've only been watching again for a few months.

That's exactly how I got into the grappling side of MMA. When I started watching in 2005 I was very much all about knockouts. The grappling was something I didn't really get and couldn't fully get into until I saw the Diego Sanchez vs Nick Diaz fight. Not only was the fight a great one, the perfect kind of grappling heavy fight you'd want to show a new fan, but Rogan was tremendous on commentary explaining everything to a dummy like me.

I think it really helps that he was never really a 'proper' commentator and never got into it the traditional way. Because it allows him to talk to you like a normal bloke would and explain what the fuck's going on and why. He's not bombarding you with overly technical speak. He's really good at simplifying Jiu-Jitsu in that way. I went from not giving a shit about grappling in 2005 to eventually taking up BJJ in 2014 (I think it was). And Rogan's commentary was the game changer for me. I bet there's loads of people who got into it because they were initially educated by Joe Rogan's commentary. I'd go as far as to say that no-one has done more for Jiu-Jitsu since the Gracies became prominent than Rogan.

Don't get me wrong, he does my head in sometimes. When he beats a certain subject to death, long past the point it's relevant or when he becomes biased to a certain fighter and it pretty much ruins a fight. Shit like that gets annoying. But on the whole, he's more good than bad. And the thing I like about him is he's so loaded now he doesn't have to tow the company line. From bits I've heard and read, Rogan's got legit 'fuck you' money. He could walk away tomorrow but he stays around because he enjoys it and because he's mates with Dana. But if he disagrees with something he doesn't exactly bite his tongue. He's been one of the most vocal and scathing figures against the problems with the Reebok deal.

Basically, you might get sick of him at times when you've been watching a while. But by then you'll be so used to him he'll be like part of the furniture. Or a stray hair that you don't want but it keeps coming back so you just learn to live with it.

Basically, you might get sick of him at times when you've been watching a while. But by then you'll be so used to him he'll be like part of the furniture. 

Pretty much. I did like him when I first started watching.

These days he's pretty much white noise to me, unless he's really pushing a certain narrative during a fight. It's the same with Goldberg. I've never hated him like other MMA fans, but he's been around far too long. 

I've always got the feeling that Goldberg is not as passionate about MMA as Rogan is. He clearly doesn't dislike it, but I don't think he's a fanatic. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've always thought Goldberg ended up doing MMA because he failed to do whatever he really wanted to do. Saying that, he was there when the company was on its arse in the late 90s and they were having to go to Sisterfuck, Arkansas because no-one else would have them. Surely that wasn't the best job available to him at the time? Maybe it was. Either way, there must have been something about the sport that he loved for him to stick it out through that period. He was there for the dying days of SEG and the early turbulent days of Zuffa. The money can't have been that good back then for him and he wasn't doing it for the fame because no cunt was watching.

You can see why Dana is loyal to him really in that way.

When was it that WWE made Mike Goldberg an offer, 2005ish wasn't it? He stuck with UFC then as well. Although I don't know if that was him being loyal or if the WWE offer wasn't the best.

I do think he'd rather do something else though. A 'proper' sport like football or baseball. Just the feeling I've always had. Maybe that's why when he did call some football on FOX a couple of years ago and was terrible, he had a meltdown on twitter and started arguing with people who said he was shit. I don't think FOX had him doing football again.

When was it that WWE made Mike Goldberg an offer, 2005ish wasn't it? He stuck with UFC then as well. Although I don't know if that was him being loyal or if the WWE offer wasn't the best.

Yeah, I remember that. 

It looked like he was going to WWE at one point. He was absent from a few UFC cards in late 2005 with "other engagements". One of his replacements was another NFL commentator. Matt was his first name, and his second name begins with V. He still pops up on NFL broadcasts.

I believe Goldberg ended up declining WWE's offer. He thought it would interfere with his other engagements (UFC and other real sport gigs he had back then) Other than the odd B-Level PPV, he's been on every UFC PPV since.

• Paid Members

I wonder if he'd have taken WWE's offer if it'd have been a year or two earlier? By 2005 the UFC was turning things around coming off the success of TUF 1. That's probably what convinced him to stick around with the UFC a bit longer.

Anyway, back to the pictures...

St Patrick's Day Chuck

3IuLo.jpg

Wanderlei Silva and the voice of Pride Lenne Hardt

Hg5ac.jpg

Yoel Romero and Shaq

kP9Ui.jpg

Kevin Casey and his father-in-law Muhammad Ali

lWVE6.jpg

And Randy Couture and Don Frye on the set of Big Stan

GuM6r.jpg

I think Goldberg occationally does 'guest' commentary on some very minor league ice hockey games.

I don't really notice his commentary/cliches that much anymore, which is both a good and bad thing.

Still, at least he's not as annoying as Jon Anik. I couldn't do with Anik handling the big shows, comes across as a swarmy prick but without the years of goodwill that Goldberg has.

Fighter weighs in at 155.5 lbs, "he weighed in at 155lbs and change". Ugh, fuck off Anik!

• Paid Members

Mad. How did they manage to shoot a whole series of TUF and not make reference to that!?

I s'pose he might've met and got married to Ali's daughter after the show ... must've been a quick engagement if so, though!