Youtube cool finds thread

Egg Shen

6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Im fascinated by traditional martial arts though. Modern day with the rise of MMA i always find it strange that traditional martial arts still have a place. Jeremy Horn is constantly posting expose videos of the masters at work.

It is an area of interest of mine as well, most modern day Martial arts like Krav Maga, BJJ etc are a lot more condensed versions of the traditional, taking out all the honour and respect for the opponent that happens in sparring/competitions in Karate and Tae Kwon Do. Just boiling it down to all the stuff that works in real life scenarios with various weapons, instead of breaking boards or doing kata. For an early comparison of this I started doing karate and found it boring practicing the same stance and kata as a yellow belt, that a blue or green belt was doing except they would do 3 or 5 more moves extra on top. It basically comes all down to form and remembering the movement. I sacked it off and found boxing training not only more difficult, but more rewarding in the process.

Traditional Chinese Kung Fu is huge and a lot can be learned from it, but there is so much pomp and circumstance surrounding it. As a whole it is flashy, but you soon realise that a lot of the punches and kicks aren't that impactful, due to their lack of backswing off them. The use of weapons is a whole other kettle of fish, since a lot off the weapons are as just as dangerous to the user as they are to an attacker. Anyone who has ever tried to swing around nunchaku will have smashed their cock and balls into a fine paste trying to be Bruce Lee.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

the UFC did a short documentary series on Fight Pass a few months back regarding a series of subjects regarding the history of the promotion, well they've startes uploading them to youtube bit by bit...

goto the playlist for the rest.

I watched this one earlier. It mostly covers Liddell's run in the 2003 Pride Middleweight GP. It has some decent talking heads; Dana, Chuck, Overeem, Rutten, Sakibara, etc. There are a few points made that are contestable. For example, Rutten believes in the Dave Meltzer theory for why Pride went under, rather than Mijatovic's version of events. And there are some points that could have gone into with more detail. But nitpicking aside, it's well worth 20 minutes of your time. 

It also has footage of that commentator who Wandshogun09 detests. The annoying fucker who partnered Bas at Pride Final Conflict 2003. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• 2 weeks later...

Nice find Ebb. It's a decent documentary. 

They glossed over a few things. But that's understandable, given that it was filmed in the wake of his death. And the fact that few had a bad word to say about him by the time he passed away. 

Schaub's story about a contestant being openly racist on TUF 10 was also interesting. That incident never made the air. It's been known for a while that certain incidents that occur in the TUF house are not aired. As an example, Sotiropoulos got chinned at some point during the filming of the Smashes season, but the footage was never shown. There was also a fist fight on one season that was featured in the series' preview clip. Yet it was never shown in the actual episodes. It all makes you wonder what else occurred in the TUF house that never made the airwaves. 

• Paid Members

I forgot all about Sotiropoulos supposedly getting battered during the filming of the Smashes season. Think the rumour was it was Pearson’s boxing coach who twatted him about. I want to rewatch that season at some point because I remember it being brilliant. 

Wonder who the racist was on the Kimbo season. 

Aye, I also remember it being a trainer who floored Sotoropoulos. If I recall correctly, someone leaked information of the incident online. 

As for the racist on TUF 10, I can imagine it being a few cast members. The two that stand out are McSweeney and Mitrione. The latter isn't exactly known for self-awareness and sensitivity. And McSweeney came across as an all-round bellend on the show. 

• Paid Members

My immediate thought was McSweeney as well. Just because he’s a cunt. And ‘cunt’ to ‘racist cunt’ wouldn’t be a huge leap to imagine him making. But I think Schaub was pally with McSweeney wasn’t he (another reason to dislike Schaub), they were linked through Jackson’s/Rashad after the show, so I’m not sure he’d have meant him. Plus McSweeney was well up Rashad’s arse all season, if I’m remembering right. Even if he had racist thoughts I doubt he’d have said them while the cameras were rolling and risk Rashad dropping him from under his wing. 

It’s speculation but it absolutely wouldn’t shock me if it was Mitrione. He’s always been a massive prick whose mouth works faster than his brain. I think he got in the shit a few times for things he said/tweeted during his UFC stint didn’t he? And even thinking back to TUF 10, all his beefs seemed to be with the black guys on the show. There was the Marcus Jones stuff which nearly blew up at the gym, the Rashad ‘cheese fell off its cracker’ row. Even years later he had some problem with Rampage which I never really knew how that got started. Could all be coincidence but it wouldn’t shock me one bit if it was him. 

We’ll never know. Could just as easily been one of the names we’ve all forgot. Or Wes Sims wanted some attention.