Youtube cool finds thread

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

A recent news piece by Vice about a Chinese MMA fighter who absolutely battered a Wu-Shu Kung-Fu master. The guy comes off as a total dickhead, but I would love to see a MMA fighter vs an Aikido practitioner.

Looking at this video of an Aikido grand master it is literally students of his throwing themselves around.

The couple of videos I have seen online of "real" Aikido still look staged like this.

17 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

The guy comes off as a total dickhead, but I would love to see a MMA fighter vs an Aikido practitioner.

Doorman/martial arts instructor Geoff Thompson has this to say about aikido in his excellent (and well worth a read, if you haven't already) book Watch My Back.

Aikido is generally very restrictive to the average player because it is almost completely defensive. It is possible that the top men in the art may make it work in a live situation, but I don't see it being very effective for the ordinary practitioner. The best means of defence is, without a shadow of doubt, attack. Anything long-winded and over-technical is of little use as most street fights are over in a few seconds. All the fine motor movements, like those taught in aikido, fail when adrenalin hits the bloodstream. It's the big simple stuff that works. I once defeated two opponents in three seconds, using three techniques, so you can see the importance of short, effective attacks.

The part about adrenalin is particularly important for the overall assessment, things need to be tested under pressure not just a nice friendly sparring session in a dojo.

Whilst looking on Youtube for videos about Aikido, I saw this which is a great example of an Aikido practitioner vs someone with MMA experience.The Aikido guy is using it as a learning experience on how he can improve his own sparring techniques and gets soundly trounced. He does come away with a lot of respect for the MMA fighter and does it with humility to improve himself. The video kicks off really about 3:35.

• Paid Members

ahh good post Rey. I hadn't seen Vice had done a piece on that MMA fighter from China. I posted about that in the general MMA thread when if happened though. Crazy story.

Im fascinated by traditional martial arts though. Modern day with the rise of MMA i always find it strange that traditional martial arts still have a place. Jeremy Horn is constantly posting expose videos of the masters at work.