Sign in to follow this  
TildeGuy~!

WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

I've been playing Bioshock Infinite (having finished Bioshock and Bioshock 2 earlier this year). 

It's very different isn't it? 

Faced with the choice of trying something new between Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing this past weekend. On one hand Doom will make my head spin and I'd surely only manage one hour a session. On the other hand Animal Crossing is a baby ass baby game for pussyo's. Needless to say I've been shaking trees and ripping up bush (one for the out of context thread).

Tom Nook is a capitalist cunt.

12 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Faced with the choice of trying something new between Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing this past weekend. On one hand Doom will make my head spin and I'd surely only manage one hour a session. On the other hand Animal Crossing is a baby ass baby game for pussyo's. Needless to say I've been shaking trees and ripping up bush (one for the out of context thread).

Tom Nook is a capitalist cunt.

I love how they're calling Tom Nook "fearless leader" as though he has some kind of despotic hold over the island. You're the only one that really has any effect over the economy on that island, though. If you strike, nothing gets done. You are the one with all the power. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I've also got to the Stardust Zone on Sonic Mania and tbh the novelty wore off a while ago. It's a great Sonic game but the bar is low. The eternal problem for me with Sonic is that it's a game that encourages you to go faster but rewards you for going slower and if you do go slower it's boring as fuck. I was always a Sonic kid but I've got way more time for his plump Italian rival.

I can't remember where I'm up to, but I've got 5 saves on the go (got Plus, one for each character). Also got a Knuckles play through going on with Switch Sonic 2. Although Animal Crossing is dominating my gaming time at the moment. The museum is brilliant. 

Sonic Mania has some brilliant moments (that "boss fight" in the Chemical Plant Zone, principally), but overall I felt let down. The time limit doesn't reflect the size and difficulty of some of the levels, especially when - as mentioned - exploration is usually to be encouraged. And the requirement to restart Act 1 if you lose all your lives in Act 2 is hugely dispiriting in the modern era. Also the special stage for chaos emeralds is shit.

It's still the best Sonic game in many years and I'd like to see a sequel, but hope these shortcomings would be addressed so that it lives up to its potential.

58 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I've been playing Bioshock Infinite (having finished Bioshock and Bioshock 2 earlier this year). 

I'm working through the Bioshocks at the moment. I had Bioshock 1 on PS3 but never finished it, I'm around the same place I dropped it. But I find it really dull. The gameplay is spammy, run in with a plasmid, follow up with a weapon. The setting is very cool but I find the art style repulsive, all Bisley esque bloated features. 

Poor spiritual successor to System Shock. 

9 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

On one hand Doom will make my head spin and I'd surely only manage one hour a session.

You would be correct. The pace is deliberately frenetic, to the point that it forces you into a routine of weapon-zoom-melee-retreat with no time to cough, shit or fart. And that's on the 2nd-easiest difficulty. The first proper boss fight

in Mission 4 forces you to stick to exploiting weak points like glue, then was all "You just about beat him? good. HERE'S TWO MORE OF HIM AHAHAHHAHA".

On the upside it stays on the 'fun' level of difficult, It looks gorgeous in 4K (especially when you control the colour saturation - WHY DO SO FEW GAMES DO THIS?), Doomguy doesn't take himself *too* seriously if you look in the right places for humour, and the soundtrack so far has the right amount of homages to previous entries - the menu music is a reworked Icon of Sin, for just one. There's even a Markiplier easter egg. Bless.

(Sorry for the spoiler)

Edited by seph
Spoilers :(

Gone from light 970 something to 1001 in about a week in Destiny 2.

Also got The Last Word, Levithans Breath, The Fourth Horseman, Sleeper Simulant and Bad Juju exotics. Been a grand run.

1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Gone from light 970 something to 1001 in about a week in Destiny 2.

Also got The Last Word, Levithans Breath, The Fourth Horseman, Sleeper Simulant and Bad Juju exotics. Been a grand run.

Are you on PS4 or Xbox?

I finally got a chance to start DOOM Eternal. It's awesome and everything I hoped and expected it to be. 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

7 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I'm working through the Bioshocks at the moment. I had Bioshock 1 on PS3 but never finished it, I'm around the same place I dropped it. But I find it really dull. The gameplay is spammy, run in with a plasmid, follow up with a weapon. The setting is very cool but I find the art style repulsive, all Bisley esque bloated features. 

Poor spiritual successor to System Shock. 

Usually relent at calling a critically acclaimed series overrated if it's just not for me, but Bioshock is completely overrated. Especially when you consider that the first one started this "Are videogames art?" narrative in magazines like Edge and Games TM at the time. Regardless of their validity as an art form it's weird that a very good special abilities shooter spearheaded the discussion because it had an art deco theme and a bit of shoo-shoopee-doo music in it. But you don't really get the full plot without listening to tapes as you walk around! It's old timey! 

Perhaps people were just dying to have that art discussion anyway, and Bioshock was the excuse. You've also got the developer pedigree and the fact that a first person game that wasn't military skinned or Halo at the time was automatically a source of intrigue. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Was thinking over the last few days, with the current situation and everything, and further more with tonight's new from the PM of floating an idea for some sort of UKFF game swop shop style thing?

Everyone could put up a list of the games they have on their respective format and if you see something you fancy from their list and vice-versa you could request a trade.

Obviously would rely on a fair bit of goodwill and honesty but it think it would work quite well; you could put a post on from each person acknowledging when they had received the game at their side so it was kept transparent and somewhat audited just incase there were any bad apples.

Thoughts?

I'm not delivering the shit smeared computer games of the UKFF. A third of this place can't be trusted to sit on the toilet let alone wash their hands afterwards.

Edited by Mr_Danger

2 hours in to Animal Crossing and I'm already suffering from fishing anxiety.

"It's gonna bite this time, this time, its gonna bite, this time, no. This time, though, it'll bite this time, no. This time, shit, I missed it!"