WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Are they still doing the animus bollocks? It's the worst.. I haven't played an AC game in a while but I thought they would have canned all that ages ago.

King of Swing summed it up best. There are only a couple of animus bits, it definitely doesn't detract from the main game but what's the point of having them? Odyssey is ace. So far removed from the older AC games, which they needed to be as the old old formula had become stale as fuck.

3 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

The best thing about these games are the cinematic trailers, it’s all down hill from here. 

What didn't you like about the latest AC games when you played them?

I wish they'd do something completely unexpected with Assassin's Creed. These historical settings are all well and good, but it's been feeling a bit samey since part way through the AC2 trilogy. Go mental and set one of the games in the future, like Tokyo in the year 2745 or something. Assassin's Creed with all sorts of crazy futuristic buildings to climb and gadgets to use could be amazing. Admittedly there'd be no historical stories to base the narrative on, so they'd have to make it all up, but nobody has any clue what's going on in any of the existing AC games anyway, so who cares?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

To kinda counter all the SOR 4 love a little it feels like Cherry is the only character that's been given any real time in development, she's so far above everyone else and feels like the real deal and it's just so silky smooth whereas I'm fighting with the controls playing as anyone else.

The decision to give one character a sprint but no one else is weird, the game's really missing a roll function too which I'm sure was in 3.

3 really mastered things with it's speed, shame we got a butchered version.

Cherry definitely feels like "Easy Mode" in some respects - her and the other new fella became my go-to when I couldn't beat a level as Axel. That said, it's not really any different to Skate, who similarly was the only capable of sprinting, and had an almost identical running attack, and in this game they have put in a few areas where Cherry is absolutely not the character to pick. Lift levels, or anywhere with holes in the scenery, it's hard to stop her falling off the level. 

Similarly with the bloke who's replaced Max - surrounded by baddies on a normal level, you'll absolutely blitz through anything. But fight against a boss that moves too quickly for you to get much of an approach on, and he's a big useless lug. So it's not particularly well balanced, but I don't think it's any worse than the original series.

I like that Axel has put on a few pounds and grown out his beard since he was last punching dudes. 

I burned through the main game yesterday, but there's still stuff to unlock (the first thing you unlock through points rather than just working your way through the game is great), and I'll likely go back to it all the time just as I do for SOR2. Haven't even played two player yet! I'm sure there's a ton of Easter eggs i'm missing, too.

• Awards Moderator

If Prince of Persia was your bag back in 1990, creator Jordan Mechner has released a book of his making-of journals and it looks superbly detailed.

https://jordanmechner.com/backstage/journals/

His AMA from today is worth a read too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/gaxsgh/im_jordan_mechner_thirty_years_ago_i_made_a_game/

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

3 really mastered things with it's speed, shame we got a butchered version.

Bare Knuckle 3 refined a lot of the stuff from the previous games. It's a shame Sega of America decided it was too easy and pulled all that nonsense with the costumes and voices before it got released outside Japan. If you haven't, get hold of a fan translated ROM of Bare Knuckle 3 so you can play it as it's supposed to be. Ash is such a bizarre character. It's a lot fairer as well. 

The May Day festival started today on Animal Crossing. Off playing mini games and solving puzzles on islands from the airport. Interesting stuff. The reduction in Interest rates is ridiculous. I stuck half a million bells in my account last night and got 365 bells. Although maybe I should have left it in for a month to see how it goes rather than spunking it all on my final home loan. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

If Prince of Persia was your bag back in 1990, creator Jordan Mechner has released a book of his making-of journals and it looks superbly detailed.

https://jordanmechner.com/backstage/journals/

I own this and it's gorgeous. So much to nerd out over.

I just finished FFVII Remake. Brilliant until the closing stretch, where it really loses its way. Would be curious what someone who'd never played the original made of it.

• Paid Members

Streets of Rage 4 is great fun. Got the misses involved yesterday and we played up to stage 7 comfortably.

She was cleaning up with Cherry and I assumed she'd lied to me beforehand when she said she'd never played it previously. Good to know Cherry is OP and doesn't reflect on my shitness.

The soundtrack is a banger. Can't help but nod and jive as we smashed our way through the levels. 

Those fat lads that breathe fire can Fuck right off though. Painful, painful Memories revisited. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Those fat lads that breathe fire can Fuck right off though. Painful, painful Memories revisited. 

Them, the biker women, and the punk women who throw fire are the worst. 

There seems to be a thing where if they hit you, even if you're in mid jumping attack, their move takes priority over yours, so it's always you coming out on the worst of it. I can't remember if that was the case in previous games, but it's frustrated me a lot in this one.

The women throwing fire are the worst because even when you hit them, they drop fire directly on top of you in the process so you're fucked either way. There's a few moments like that, where you get hit again once you're getting up and there's nothing you can do about it.

• Paid Members

The women throwing fire sound like Hollywood from the Final Fight games. They were a big pain in the backside. 

Echoing the love for SOR4. The nostalgia is off the charts and it feels fresh. There's a great balance of challenge and the ability to breeze through sections just smashing the shit out of countless enemies, capturing the charm of the previous games perfectly. Some enemies are fucking awful, I'm looking at you biker dykes and bottle throwing bitches...

The subtle touches and homages mean it's money well spent. Perfect during these challenging times.

Me and the boy did the first level this morning. I'm ashamed to say that I carried him, even if he is 2. The 5 year old girl was much better.

As a What Play You? meets UKFF Kids thread spin off aside my lad has been going around calling everyone 'Boy' after hearing me giving it the Kratos when addressing him. I promise that's the only bit of parenting behaviour I've copied from God of War.