WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Trailer for the new Assassin's Creed- titled Valhalla. Yep, Vikings motherfuckers!

Odyssey is brilliant now that AC have moved the series to more of an RPG game. A vikings setting, which is giving me Skyrim vibes, makes a lot of sense.

• Awards Moderator

Mainlined a whole bunch of Streets of Rage 4. It's bloody awesome. Lots of satisfying crunch. 

Easter egg:

if you see an arcade cabinet, whack it with a taser to have a retro flashback.

• Paid Members

We’ve been playing the Resident Evil games for the first time properly. We did the remakes of 1, 2 and 3. My wife enjoyed 2 so much we played it 5 or so times through back to back getting secrets and trophies.

We’ve just started 4 on PS4 and for a game I used to really like, and one most “Best Resident Evil” lists rank as #1, it has aged spectacularly badly. The movement is sluggish, the stand-still 3rd person aiming is brutal, it has quick time events out the arse and it the lack of pre-rendered backgrounds make it look awful. 
I can persevere through it because I’ve played it before but my wife wants nothing to do with it.

It’s unfair to compare it to 2 and 3 remakes but even compared to 1 which came out on the same console it’s real rough.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:47 PM, quote the raven said:

Ok i tried the new doom. I must be getting old i was totally overwhelmed and had no real idea what was happening.

I'm with you on this. Either my reactions have changed drastically since the release of the last one or I am just not good enough for this game. I have been stuck on the same bit for ages now.

11 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Trailer for the new Assassin's Creed- titled Valhalla. Yep, Vikings motherfuckers!

Odyssey is brilliant now that AC have moved the series to more of an RPG game. A vikings setting, which is giving me Skyrim vibes, makes a lot of sense.

I really hope they drop the Animus bollocks it'll be a big plus. Story isn't  Odyssey's strong point but it was weakened by having to pop back to the lab and do pointless shite. I'd take Peter Falk reading a story to his grandson over that shite.

Just let me play  action history simulator, it's a game it doesn't need a reason to place you there at this point.

Edited by Mr_Danger

44 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Are they still doing the animus bollocks? It's the worst.. I haven't played an AC game in a while but I thought they would have canned all that ages ago.

It's the first one I've played so I have no point of reference but it's at the start and in the middle.

25 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

The best thing about these games are the cinematic trailers, it’s all down hill from here. 

Like i say I've only played Odyssey but it's very good and tons of fun. Plenty to do that lends enough variety that even with a shit story it doesn't detract.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

I only remember a couple of bits of Animus guff in Odyssey, so while it didn't really get in the way much, it does make you wonder why they bothered with it. I've never spoken to anyone who liked that element of the games. 

Odyssey is a bloody great game. I've sunk well over 100 hours into it and still feel the itch to jump back in from time to time.

The Animus stuff was thankfully almost non existent compared to previous entries but avoiding spoilers I did find the ending pretty nice.

As for the next game pre rendered trailers can get fucked. They do absolutely nothing for me.

One of the things I have grown to loath in modern gaming.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

As for the next game pre rendered trailers can get fucked. They do absolutely nothing for me.

One of the things I have grown to loath in modern gaming.

I guess it's fine as a teaser of the concept and setting.. but does absolutely nothing to convince me on the game.

To kinda counter all the SOR 4 love a little it feels like Cherry is the only character that's been given any real time in development, she's so far above everyone else and feels like the real deal and it's just so silky smooth whereas I'm fighting with the controls playing as anyone else.

The decision to give one character a sprint but no one else is weird, the game's really missing a roll function too which I'm sure was in 3.

3 really mastered things with it's speed, shame we got a butchered version.

Edited by Merzbow

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

To kinda counter all the SOR 4 love a little it feels like Cherry is the only character that's been given any real time in development, she's so far above everyone else and feels like the real deal and it's just so silky smooth whereas I'm fighting with the controls playing as anyone else.

The decision to give one character a sprint but no one else is weird, the game's really missing a roll function too which I'm sure was in 3.

3 really mastered things with it's speed, shame we got a butchered version.

See, to me Cherry feels very much like a reskin of Skate, who feels kind of cheap in 2 and 3 but with it being a bit harder this go around Cherry feels just about right, seeing as her style seems to centre around bouncing between characters in combo's and blitz moves with her Special and Star moves being kinda nerfed.

The game feels a lot more centred on managing the specials into combo dynamic and the bounce back moves, especially for Axel and Blaze. Floyd's a fucking pig though, can't get away with him at all.

Yeah, so I kinda disagree in as much as Cherry feels less like she was designed with the new mechanics in mind. I mean I could do with a short dash for everyone just to close distance, but I suppose that's what the Blitz moves are for.

Largely, I love it, it progresses things mechanically and aesthetically enough to feel fresh, but still feels authentically Streets of Rage. The developers were going to have a dog's life whichever way they went in terms of changing either too much or too little, but for me they've got the balance right.