WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

@Keith Houchen I don't know whether this happens to you as well, but I was train simulating last night, and on one of the scenarios it wouldn't recognise when I'd stopped at one of the stations (Hempstead on the Long Island Rail Road Race Day scenario) and didn't let me progress from there. Then I was doing one of the Leeds to Manchester Victoria runs, got about a mile and a half out from Manchester and it froze before booting me back to the XBox home screen.

It looks like something they're aware of, but seem to be more bothered about churning out DLC than fixing. 

No, not had anything like that but to be honest I’m just poncing around on the German one and not done many scenarios. 

• Paid Members

Ah, ok. The scenarios tend to turn up when you're working through the journeys anyway. 

• Paid Members

Animal Crossing has been all about the timing for me - if I'd bought it and the whole lockdown thing wasn't happening, I'd have probably fallen out of the habit with it, and much like the Gamecube game, gone back to it in six months to find my village overrun with weeds and everyone saying they thought I was dead.

But under the circumstances, it's become part of my routine to play it for half an hour or so every day, and in the process I'm getting way more play out of it than I would have done ordinarily. It's relaxing, I can (for the most part) turn my brain off, but there's always something to do. It does feel a little directionless now that I've done the "ending", as I'm not someone who's massively into the whole construction and personalisation side of the game like a lot of people I know, but I'm going to keep it up because it's become habit, and see where it gets me. 

I like to divide my gaming between two or three games at a time - sometimes I'm in the mood for something action-oriented, sometimes more puzzles or just sandbox stuff, sometimes I want something with a story I can commit to for an hour or two, sometimes I just want to pick up and play for half an hour. Animal Crossing is doing a good job of being the "other" game while I work my way through FF7.

• Paid Members

I'm pretty much hitting the rocks, shaking and occasionally chopping trees, digging fossils and seeing what clothes/KK Slider record I can buy in the morning, then going about my day and at night I'm driving a train. Occasionally I'll pop FF7 on my Switch in an afternoon while I listen to a podcast or watch something on Youtube/Netflix/Prime.

• Paid Members

I never played the original FF7, am I going to be totally lost if I play the new one? Without the nostalgia is it actually a genuinely good standalone game? I've almost completed Luigis Mansion 3 and need something else to sink my teeth into.

No, the remake is FF7 but they've expanded the story (I'm about 7 hours in, and story-wise probably half an hour to an hour in on the original) so there's no pre-requirement to have played the original. The game is great fun, I would definitely recommend it. Only issue though is that it's hard to get ahold of right now so you may need to sink an extra tenner for the digital version

As someone who played FF7 when it first came out and still count it as my favourite game ever, I've been reluctant to go for the remake in case it ruins my nostalgic memories. If I go for it, is it likely to ruin anything? 

2 hours ago, Grecian said:

As someone who played FF7 when it first came out and still count it as my favourite game ever, I've been reluctant to go for the remake in case it ruins my nostalgic memories. If I go for it, is it likely to ruin anything? 

Obviously everything is subjective, but it's actually encouraged me to go back and play the original. 

@LaGoosh - I'd agree with @Bicurious Dad that it works as a standalone game, but I'd also add that there probably is benefit from having played the original. Without spoiling anything, there are some significant moments that would benefit from an understanding of what happened in the original. It's not the be all and end all, although I suspect it will be more important in the next chapter. 

According to my save file I'm 66% of the way through Uncharted 3 and it's safe to say it's my favourite so far. I'm a sucker for that pointless PRESS TRIANGLE cinematic combat, (there's a bit that uses it in GoW that I fucking loved) and I think this one more than the others captures that playing an action movie feel. Really wish I played these games when they were new.

Started time travelling in Animal Crossing, feel dirty.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

According to my save file I'm 66% of the way through Uncharted 3 and it's safe to say it's my favourite so far. I'm a sucker for that pointless PRESS TRIANGLE cinematic combat, (there's a bit that uses it in GoW that I fucking loved) and I think this one more than the others captures that playing an action movie feel. Really wish I played these games when they were new.

I've been playing Uncharted 4 the last few days (its free on PS Plus until the end of this month). There's a whole tank/car/motorbike chase set-piece which is the closest any game I've played has come to matching the later Fast and Furious films. Just pure daft delirious fun.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I'm a sucker for that pointless PRESS TRIANGLE cinematic combat, (there's a bit that uses it in GoW that I fucking loved)

Rise of the Tomb Raider ruined that stuff for me, because it had such amazing cinematic set pieces, and you are in full control for them; it's all done with moving bits and camerawork. Made me realise how much of a lazy crutch those things are.