Sign in to follow this  
TildeGuy~!

WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

In an odd way, you could argue the Wii U was a good thing for Nintendo. Yes it failed, but at that price point it was as good as a semi-portable console could have been for the time.

It was clearly a precursor for the Switch which has been a huge success, and if they hadn’t had gambled with the Wii U and gone with something a bit safer, they may have been stuck with a mediocre console with a medium-sized user base that was never going to compete with Sony or Microsoft. 

As only 12 million people had a Wii U, it made the argument to launch something new earlier than they otherwise would’ve a bit easier to make. I’m not saying it saved Nintendo, but being able to learn a lesson, improve the tech and release something truly innovative in a relatively short amount of time certainly helped turn them around.

Edited by scratchdj

4 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Xenoblade Chronicles X is an awesome game. Hope it gets ported one day and Tokyo Mirage Sessions getting ported recently gives me some hope.

The original Wii Xenoblade Chronicles is being released on the Switch later this year. If it sells, they'll surely do X after that.

You can almost always rely on Nintendo to zag when Sony & Microsoft zig etc. It's how they've made it this far. 

Started The Witcher 3 proper. Still don’t think the movement and combat is that great but the rest of the game is ace so far. Huge interesting areas, top NPC characters and dialogue, really interesting lore. Big fan of researching enemies before fighting them. 

About 25% into Dragonball Z Kakarot and really enjoying it, the combat is very samey but if you’re a fan of the anime this is probably the best Dragonball game they’ve ever made, I’ve got a ton of nostalgia for this from the music that plays in the background to the cut scenes that play out, load times are frustrating but other then that it’s a solid game for anyone who hasn’t witnessed the entire Z saga.

50 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

About 25% into Dragonball Z Kakarot and really enjoying it, the combat is very samey but if you’re a fan of the anime this is probably the best Dragonball game they’ve ever made, I’ve got a ton of nostalgia for this from the music that plays in the background to the cut scenes that play out, load times are frustrating but other then that it’s a solid game for anyone who hasn’t witnessed the entire Z saga.

I will probably buy this in a few months - I love Dragon Ball, but the game itself looks a bit repetitive and lacking in depth. You say it's the best DB game ever: is it really better than Dragon Ball Fighterz? For me, that was the definitive DB game in terms of graphics and gameplay. I can't see how they could top that in a hurry. Obviously one is a beat-'em-up and the other is a RPG, but I cannot see Kakarot giving me the same feeling as Fighterz. That was literally the game I dreamt of when I was 12.

1 minute ago, StrongStyle said:

I will probably buy this in a few months - I love Dragon Ball, but the game itself looks a bit repetitive and lacking in depth. You say it's the best DB game ever: is it really better than Dragon Ball Fighterz? For me, that was the definitive DB game in terms of graphics and gameplay. I can't see how they could top that in a hurry. Obviously one is a beat-'em-up and the other is a RPG, but I cannot see Kakarot giving me the same feeling as Fighterz. That was literally the game I dreamt of when I was 12.

I hated Fighterz, in regards to depth it has all of your Z sagas told practically the same as the anime as well as Tons of side missions to boot, also once you finish a saga you go into a Intermission where you replay episodes from the anime like the driving license episode for example.     

I don't think I can bring myself to buy it, I've been through every Dragon Ball saga a million times through multiple shows and games and this doesn't look like it does enough new.

I just want to play a Platinum Games take on the franchise.

I will probably buy it purely for fan service reasons, but there's something about the footage of the gameplay that makes me think I will get bored of it quickly. There is no doubt that Z is the main event when it comes to the DB franchise, and I suppose that in itself is a very expansive story: but it would have been nice if the game documented from the beginning of Dragon Ball right through to Super, or dare I say...GT.

41 minutes ago, StrongStyle said:

I will probably buy it purely for fan service reasons, but there's something about the footage of the gameplay that makes me think I will get bored of it quickly. There is no doubt that Z is the main event when it comes to the DB franchise, and I suppose that in itself is a very expansive story: but it would have been nice if the game documented from the beginning of Dragon Ball right through to Super, or dare I say...GT.

They document Dragon Ball through collectibles at least, sod GT though, I wouldn’t mind a new game concentrating on Dragonball Super though, going through the Universe Tournament as well as the Beerus and Goku Black sagas.

6 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Started The Witcher 3 proper. Still don’t think the movement and combat is that great but the rest of the game is ace so far. Huge interesting areas, top NPC characters and dialogue, really interesting lore. Big fan of researching enemies before fighting them. 

I restarted it today on the harder setting. After years away I noticed the combat being awkward too. 

That said it’s still the best game I’ve ever played . Enjoy 

Dragon Ball FighterZ is the game everybody wanted Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite to be. It can get a little hectic.i picked up Under Night In Birth.exe Late(st) in the PSN sale for a tenner, because I don't own enough fighting games.

On another note the Switch Lite D-pad is terrible for dragon punches/diagonals in general, and the analogue stick seems a little oversensitive. It's going to take some practice to get fighting games down. 

I've finally tried one of the phoenix attorney games and I'm terribly disappointed. I'd heard good things but it's been a dull slog through awful characters so far.

Ace Attorney's one of my favourite series, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea. It's a loose cross between a point-and-click detective game and a visual novel, with emphasis on the latter. I might be tempted to say stick with it for the better characters later on, but it's not the laugh-a-minute kind of humour and if you're already so put off by it then it's probably just not for you, sadly.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:15 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

You can almost always rely on Nintendo to zag when Sony & Microsoft zig etc. It's how they've made it this far. 

Absolutely - and there's so many things they invented/innovated/popularised that has since either become the norm, or that other companies have tried to emulate, that I never really question even their wackier ideas. When a lot of the games business seems deadly serious, I love seeing some of the mad shit they come up with just by putting the concept of play at the heart of everything they do - I have no idea if that weird cardboard stuff ever took off, but can you imagine anyone else pitching that?

But just looking back, Sony and Microsoft both tried to do motion controls after Nintendo, the PS4 touchpad feels like a shit half-arsed attempt at a Nintendo-esque level of interactivity or Wii U touch-scren, but even further back than that, practically everything on a modern games controller - a directional pad and four face buttons, shoulder buttons and some kind of feedback/vibration - stems from them. 

As for the Wii U, my ex had one and I loved it. Some superb games, and the controller was far more intuitive than it looked. Playing Zombi U, using the radar on the controller, glancing between the control pad screen and the TV, was one of the most genuinely scary games I've ever played, and so much of that was because of what was possible with that hardware. But I mentioned it to my current girlfriend recently, and she'd never even heard of the console. The name and lack of decent marketing just completely sunk it.