WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

I know Google have form for that sort of thing but they've just recruited an awful lot of people from other companies so you'd think they were given fairly sound assurances when leaving high ranking roles at Xbox and Playstation etc.

Talking of which the Xbox Scarlett is meant to be shit hot compared to Stadia from the few leaks from people who have tried both. You'd think with them already moving in to being more service focused they'd be ideally positioned to dominate that area. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Oh definitely. Google will lose interest by this time next year and drop it like a rock.

Classic Google. They see something doing well and want a piece of the action, but half arse it. Like Google + was an attempt to take a slice of the social media market. What a load of shite that was, with its 'circles'.

Final Fantasy VII is probably still my favourite game of all time and I have zero interesting in playing the remake. It seems like they just spent years and years getting together the right people, technology and wherewithal and the end result is the first few hours of the game with Advent Children graphics and pointless tack ons to buff everything out (but we always wanted to tell more of a story with Biggs and Wedge, honest!). The hype and marketing for this has been such a marathon that I actually feel like I've seen the entire game now that it's out. The only parts that interest me are what they'll do after Midgar. The playable flashbacks, the world map, Costa Del Sol, the Gold Saucer side quests etc. Years away yet. 

Seems like Square bit off more than they can chew. The reviews look decent now but you can already feel the disappointment brewing from the real obsessives. I'm going to be leaving the memories alone. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

It’s their own fault, the obsessives clamoured for years for a modern remake and this is what that looks like. They were never going to get what they wanted, they got what they deserved.

also, one Covid blessing was giving me time of an evening and weekend to play the original again and actually finally finish it (The switch version admittedly)

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's definitely something to aim for in future.

Why though?  Processors and memory are always falling in cost.  It’s like the 90s fad for remote terminals, it made sense when desktops were thousands of pounds but now they’re a few hundred there’s no advantage to offloading the processing to a remote server.

The best way to run a local game is to run it on a local cpu, and the best way to run a multiplayer game is to run it on a local cpu and stream the positional info, which is how it works now.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Loki said:

Why though?  Processors and memory are always falling in cost.  It’s like the 90s fad for remote terminals, it made sense when desktops were thousands of pounds but now they’re a few hundred there’s no advantage to offloading the processing to a remote server.

The best way to run a local game is to run it on a local cpu, and the best way to run a multiplayer game is to run it on a local cpu and stream the positional info, which is how it works now.

Because publishers would be able to further control how their products are consumed. The power they could have.

Not sure if it fits in here or the other gaming thread, but any other Geoguessr players?

Came to it via watching Geowizard walk Wales in a straight line, then by seeing that he was mostly known for playing the game and have just signed up, and have been playing along with my eldest (as she loves the videos too. Also been playing Google Earth Bingo along with him; basically someone gives you a list of things to find and you have a time limit to do so)

Only going with the free version for now, but despite it taking us absolutely ages, we didn't do too badly on our first go, and it's definitely something i'll be sticking at, despite me having one of the worst directional senses I've ever known. Find me on there as GARRYBACON1985 if you so wish.

I'm glad that it's far more of a reinterpretation than a simple remake, plus Midgar/disc 1 is easily my favourite part of the original so will love to see that expanded. I just wish they had marketed it that way instead of going simply down the nostalgia route.

I'm still undecided on whether to get it or not. Even Giant Bomb rated it and they are right picky fuckers. I'll probably wait and see if Ghost of Tsushima is delayed. Playstation are issuing automatic refunds on TLOU pt2 so it's not looking likely it will be a short delay and even though I've got a fuck of a back log I need some new hotness to see me through the dark weeks ahead.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Not sure if it fits in here or the other gaming thread, but any other Geoguessr players?

Came to it via watching Geowizard walk Wales in a straight line, then by seeing that he was mostly known for playing the game and have just signed up, and have been playing along with my eldest (as she loves the videos too. Also been playing Google Earth Bingo along with him; basically someone gives you a list of things to find and you have a time limit to do so)

Only going with the free version for now, but despite it taking us absolutely ages, we didn't do too badly on our first go, and it's definitely something i'll be sticking at, despite me having one of the worst directional senses I've ever known. Find me on there as GARRYBACON1985 if you so wish.

I used to watch Nerdcubed playing Geoguessr a lot on his channel on YouTube. It is a lot of fun. 

• Paid Members

I'd imagine it gets easier with practice. Now if you'll excise me, I've got to drive this stopper to Reading. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

People looking for full fat Nintendo Switches:

Amazon have the neon available for pre-order due in 24th April.

Argos have collect in store available in a lot of locations from next Wednesday.

All helpfully in stock in time for Streets of Rage 4, which looks cracking. 

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

All helpfully in stock in time for Streets of Rage 4, which looks cracking. 

I was excited when I saw this post as I didn't know this game was coming.. Just head a look at the trailer and I have to say the art style is pretty disappointing 😒