WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I'm not sure how it compares to the original.

The D-pad on that PS5 pad looks really weird, although they do this ever time a new console is on the way, then end up going back to the same old design. 

Loved it, always gives fond memories of the small arcade at the timeshare we went to as a kid. The NEO GEO attract music specifically resonates with me because of that game. Was delighted it found new life on the Switch and looking forward to the sequel this year.

• Moderators
On 4/3/2020 at 7:28 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Got sea of thieves on game pass free earlier and played with a few mates. It's a terrible game, I'd be angry if I paid for it and I would never play it on my own.. But with friends it was fucking hilarious and some of the most fun I've had gaming in a while.

This game is really growing on me actually. It's not as shit as I thought it was at first - it looks crap, the loading times are horrendous and the combat is terrible. But the mechanics of sailing and the treasure hunting is pretty good!.Good fun to play to catch up with friends as it's very casual and relaxed.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Having a much easier time of Train Sim World now that I'm doing the Great Western stuff. Why it's got all the "difficulty" laid out like that I don't know. I'm not sure how accurate the actual layouts are, but I don't remember Manchester Victoria having 14 platforms. 

• Awards Moderator

Google are offering their streaming gaming service Stadia free for two months. Will be available in the UK in the next 48 hours so check the link occasionally to see if it's free yet. Tbh the service sounds like dump but I'm intrigued enough to try for £0.

https://blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today

Edit: I've just downloaded the app and you get offered two months through there. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

I just don't think a lot of our broadband infrastructure is good enough to be able to reliably stream the games at a reasonable speed. I imagine it'd depend on how they're streamed as well. Where are the servers with the games on? It's a great idea, and if we all had ultra high speed fibre broadband it'd be good. People have been discussing the ideas of game ownership as a result of this, Don't you pay for (access to stream) the games themselves, but it's possible for the publishers to pull the titles meaning you won't be able to play them once that's happened? If it was a monthly subscription akin to a Netflix of gaming" it'd be a grand idea, but potentially a costly one depending on how much Google would have to pay to publishers for the titles. Paying for the service, and then having to "buy" a game for as long as the publishers decide it's profitable or own the rights to the licence is a potentially very high cos, low yield strategy. There's definitely potential, but I think this was Google trying to outdo Apple Arcade.

• Awards Moderator

I don't think Google had Apple Arcade in their sights, more that there is a void for streaming game service right now and someone will crack it and win. Steam is best placed, but living PC only means it'll never get mainstream. Something that works on existing devices (which is what Stadia is attempting) is the magic ingredient. 

I agree about the ownership but most punters won't think about that. I would prefer a Netflix model too, but it'll need tremendous bankrolling to get the studios on board. 

Stadia just doesn't work, it's not fit for sale and it's even worse if it's aiming for the mainstream as your average person won't have an amazing connection (there's horrible lag either way).

Don't lots of states in the US still have bandwidth caps too? I remember CUPodcast saying a good portion of the country would hit their limit in a few small hours.

• Paid Members

It is a good idea, but it's not the right time. Steam or the Epic Store, Gamepass, PSNow are all almost steps toward that. Vita Crossplay as well. I love the idea that I could leave something running on my PS4 and have my Vita somewhere with a decent internet connection and be able to keep playing it. The problem is that this feels like Google trying to use the lockdown/isolationto try and breathe new life into this thing, but early adopters had been having bad times with it from what I'd been hearing on the CUPodcast and from Jim Sterling's daily reportings on his channel. Don't Sony now own Gaiki, the company started by David Perry (The Earthworm Jim guy, not the one in the bandana from GamesMaster) for remote play purposes?

Yeah I'm sure Sony used Gaiki's infrastructure for PS Now which gave that a good leg up from the start, I still have issues even on my decent internet tho.

I've heard good things about Nvidia's service but a lot of publishers have sadly dropped out as they didn't agree with the monetization side of things.

• Paid Members

It's definitely something to aim for in future. It'd probably have a fighting chance of working with the broadband I have at the moment, but I would have hated trying to play Samurai Showdown using my old Sky broadband connection after 5pm.

@Onyx2 A majority of people probably wouldnt think about the game ownership question at first, but it could become an easy way for certain publishers of yearly  sports simulations to railroad their "consumers" into staying current. I know there are a lot of people who clamour for the latest release, but I don't, and I'd imagine there are other who pick one up every few years. I know if I was to wake up to find my copy of PES had been taken away from me because Konami wanted me to buy the newest version I'd be less than pleased. 

Also if this doesn't gain traction Google will just drop it. I reckon this is Google hoping that the quarantine will encourage  a few more people to look into it while they're at home and it'll save the platform before so they don't have to, as that's people who've forked out money for games will be upset.

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Also if this doesn't gain traction Google will just drop it.

Oh definitely. Google will lose interest by this time next year and drop it like a rock.

• Paid Members

I'm surprised they hadn't already. They'd gone about 6 weeks without giving anybody updates on the service while games were disappearing from the store. This definitely feels like their last roll of the dice. 

• Awards Moderator

TBF yesterday was the first day of general release of free tier for Stadia. I don't think it's the last roll of the die at all, though they will give up on it.

---

I have a Steam key for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3. PM me anyone that wants it. Please let it go to a good home, if you don't need it don't ask.