WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I adore Animal Crossing, it's probably my favourite series of games ever, but the new one's bizarre idea to cut off 2/3 of the island for the first 2 weeks and basically make you play a huge tutorial is baffling. I don't advocate it usually, but after about 3 days I just time travelled past all the guff and now I have a full island and all the basic amenities open, and it was completely worth doing.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:14 PM, FelatioLips said:

I adore Animal Crossing, it's probably my favourite series of games ever, but the new one's bizarre idea to cut off 2/3 of the island for the first 2 weeks and basically make you play a huge tutorial is baffling. I don't advocate it usually, but after about 3 days I just time travelled past all the guff and now I have a full island and all the basic amenities open, and it was completely worth doing.

I've seen this criticism but as a complete newbie I don't mind it. I quite like having a quick blast on it after the kids are in bed (don't fucking out of context me) just doing my chores and getting to the next stage of my islands' development. I'm currently waiting on the museum being built.

What's the deal with time travelling? I've heard people chastise the use of it. How does it work? Can you jump ahead to different seasons?Also do the tree's grow back after you chop them down?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I've seen this criticism but as a complete newbie I don't mind it. I quite like having a quick blast on it after the kids are in bed (don't fucking out of context me) just doing my chores and getting to the next stage of my islands' development. I'm currently waiting on the museum being built.

What's the deal with time travelling? I've heard people chastise the use of it. How does it work? Can you jump ahead to different seasons?Also do the tree's grow back after you chop them down?

You change the clock on your system to the next day so you don’t have to wait a whole day for the museum to be built or a feature to unlock. Then once you have everything just go back to current day and it’s all there to play.

Trees grow fruit back if shaken but don’t grow back from being chopped. Leave some stumps though as they attract certain insects.

• Paid Members

@Mr_Danger stick to the stone axe for your daily harvesting of resources. The steel axe cuts trees down, while the stone one just let's you get the wood out. Before you go chopping them go and shake them all (with a net handy in case you dislodge a wasp nest) so you can get any rogue bells and sticks down. Time Travel is generally frowned upon unless you're speed running. That's going to be trickier now that the infinite money glitch has been patched out, although speed runners will just keep playing that version. My resident services is being built, so today I'll probably be fishing, might visit a few islands using my tickets to try and get enough iron nuggets to build the campsite tomorrow, unless anybody wants to hang out later. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Although I actually really like 19 and that still seems to be the version to get.

I've been playing 18 lately (£8 from CEX), is 19 really an improvement?

Animal Crossing has been a bit if a letdown to be honest. It's lazy, uninspiring and feels like it's not moved forward. Even graphically, it's disappointing, was it so far beyond them to be able to fully rotate the camera?

Can't have multiple even saves on an even scale? (Secondary player/s is/are at the whims of the first player. In terms of events/etc.) 

Timmy, Tommy and Tom fucking Crook can go fuck themselves the greedy Bell grabbing twats. Make this, do this, give me 30 iron nuggets that you need for other stuff so I can make my shop but you do the leg work, cheers guys. You'll be first on the campsite bonfire.

Nooks Cranny is a con job as well. The first few days they'll gobble every bell up at all hours of the day then sucker punch you with opening hours and a service charge for out of hours selling once you've served them a shop. Fuck off. 

The whole games been ill thought through and I was a big fan of the series but if we wasn't in the middle of this shite, it would be going back. Instead I'm ploughing on to see if it can redeem itself. I know I could use the time trick but it defeats the object of the game. 

@jazzygeofferz You're probably a day ahead of me. I find it a bit shit that Tom just shuts up shop to rebuild but there's no option/way to access the nook miles machine or stash bells. Also how does the island stuff work with the codes? Can I use yours to come to your island and fish/sell/shop or is there more to it? 

• Paid Members

The whole Resident Representative gimmick is just an evolution from the Mayor gimmick in New Leaf. My other half had New Leaf and was mayor in the town we shared, so she got to decide everything unless I went on as her. The crafting etc is something that I think has been brought over from Pocket Camp, and fortunately for us isn't hidden behind a Paywall. Other than that it's the same Animal Crossing experience as usual. The first week or so has felt a bit grindy with things being drip fed to me, but now that I have the Resident Service building instead of the tent it feels a lot more like the usual Animal Crossing experience. I like the crafting elements. The durability of tools can be a pain in the arse when you need to craft 4 axes while you're doing your daily woodcutting, but it's keeping me plenty occupied. Nintendo have said the one island per switch limitation is because of how the game is saved. I think it was similar on the Wii version. 

The code thing for people visiting your island is for if you want to invite people over who aren't on your friends list. So you can open the gate and allow three different sets of people in, either anybody on your Switch friends list, anybody you've added as a "best friend" in Animal Crossing, or anybody with the Dodo code which is generated every trip.

If you came over as just a friend or through a dodo code you'd be able to use my shop, fish, craft, talk to my islanders and catch bugs

If somebody is a best friend I think it means you and they can also dig things up, move things around etc on your respective islands. You can also fire texts and gifts at them in the game. This morning I visited a best friend's island and started to organise their trees and flowers ahead of the "project K" part of the day. We've also been sending random furniture and clothing at each other.

I think I'm still a little ways behind some people, but that's probably because it was evening on launch day when I started playing, so I lost a couple of hours. 

It's actually making me want to dig out my copy of Let's Go To The City and give that a play, as for some reason I never played that much. I think we went on a holiday and we're scared to go back on.likewise our copy of New Leaf hasn't been touched in years. We're both scared our favourites would have moved away. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Finished days gone a few days back. no idea why it got such bad reviews. I loved it great action, great story right learning curve. 

Dug out assassins creed odyssey  a game i started but got side tracked and never really got into. I will attempt to give it more of a chance this time round.