WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Final Fantasy VIII remastered. 

I'm having a blast playing it again, but good lord it's such an odd game. The junction system doesn't really bother me. I'm not rinsing the card game or anything like that. I find it sufficient to just triple the game speed and go on a spree of stockpiling loads of draw magic between towns, auto junctioning them to various stats. What's odd this time around is just the general setting, the dialogue, the way the story plays out. 

I'm having a really good time playing through it again because other than something something moon and something something orphanage I don't really remember how it plays out. It's just insane. It's got that Japanese hallmark of being really ambitious and hastily thrown together all at the same time. Just finished the Deling assassination sequence and it's only here the game really gets going. That's 5-6 hours in. Pretty standard for a Final Fantasy. But even as far as Final Fantasy games go how it plays out is just weird. 

The dialogue looks like it was generated by a robot whose only prior exposure was soap operas and...other Final Fantasy games. All of the main characters seem like the least fleshed out main character. You kind of just trundle from sequence to sequence without an end goal in sight. Just, y'know, beat the steroid demon in the cave to pass your school exam, go to war, help a resistance, Galbadia are bad, look there's a sorceress now. Zell and Selphie are genuinely appalling supporting characters.

None of this is news if you're not into Final Fantasy. All the games seem like that. But look where they'd be one game later. Tight narrative, world that made sense with itself, every character has a reason for being on the journey. This stuff's bananas, on the other hand. 

Good fun. One of the better black sheep games ever.  

• Paid Members

The story from the end of disc one is completely bonkers. So much seems like it's being made up as they go along, or massive concepts are introduced and never mentioned again, or major plot points only really explained if you dig into obscure bits of text with no indication that you're meant to do that. 

I enjoyed it a lot more than I had done first time around, and the story isn't quite as arbitrary as I remembered, but it's still preposterous, even by Final Fantasy standards.

Even the Sorceress thing - I have no idea why the plot requires three evil Sorceresses. 

Edited by BomberPat

XBox have released some techie shit about teraflops and whatsits this week with the most interesting being that they're going to upscale games you already own. Im guessing it will be the cross gen stuff and there's no third party guarentee yet but CD Projekt Red have said they'll honour it for Cyberpunk. 

Can see them giving Play Station a run for their money next gen. I'll be fairly pissed if Play Station doesn't do the same.

• Paid Members

Shadow Of The Colossus and Sonic Forces on PSN next month. Shadow Of The Colossus is great. Sonic Forces is alright. The character creator thing is probably more entertaining than the game. If you liked Sonic Generations you'll like Sonic Forces. Interestingly Sonic Generations is on Games With Gold next month. It's like there's a Sonic Movie out or something. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Games with good looks shite this month, yet again.

I like the look of the Shantae game, but there's not really much else I'm arsed about or don't already own. 

4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Just picked up Civ VI on Switch on sale. I look forward to staying on my train well past my stop for just one more quick turn...

Off to a good start - Sean Bean doing the voiceover!

I got the PS4 version for Christmas, it's been transferred to consoles really well. Still addictive and unleashing thermonuclear bombs is surprisingly relaxing. Particularly when another nation has snuck ahead of you in the space race and you can nuke their program into oblivion. 

Played the Final Fantasy 7 Remake demo which released on the PSN store this morning and really enjoyed it.

Wasn’t going to buy the full release as it’s essentially just disc 1 and was going to wait(probably 10 years for the full story to come out) but might reconsider after that.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Bought Gran Turismo Sport. I've never played a GT game before, it looks great but I think I need to stick to Mario Kart.

I loved GT4 on the PS2. That's the last one I played. I keep looking at GT Sport, but don't really see the point when I've got Forza 6 and Horizon 4 on my XBone. Plus I get the feeling I'd be dreadful at it. I'm struggling with the career mode on Forza, I tend to play it to just do laps of the tracks in time trial mode.