WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Definitely thinking that, to an even greater extent than in Diablo 2, playing as a Necromancer is Easy Mode. I'm on Act 3, and in most Diablo games I'd have spammed potions and died a few times by now, but I've not died once, and I honestly don't think my life bar has been less than half full at any point. Projectile magic + a bunch of skeleton mates is the way to go.

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Definitely thinking that, to an even greater extent than in Diablo 2, playing as a Necromancer is Easy Mode. I'm on Act 3, and in most Diablo games I'd have spammed potions and died a few times by now, but I've not died once, and I honestly don't think my life bar has been less than half full at any point. Projectile magic + a bunch of skeleton mates is the way to go.

Witch Doctor was the same for me, I think any class that can summon makes the game trivially easy. I put the game down because of the lack of challenge, I'll probably start again on Hardcore with someone else.

• Paid Members

Witch Doctor was my second choice, just for being an unusual character class for a mainstream game. If I do a second playthrough, it will be on Hardcore or whatever Seasonal is, and probably as a Barbarian to mix it up.

I'm mostly enjoying the same dynamic as Diablo 2, in which everyone talks to me about the perils of black magic, and the evils of the dead walking again, while I'm a fucking necromancer with a bunch of skeletons and some kind of horrible homunculus trailing behind me. My other companion is a Templar, so I'm imagining it like a D&D buddy cop movie. 

• Paid Members

It's usually for free games, right? The most obvious example is Fortnite- where a change in season means amendments to the map (which is pretty cool tbf), removal and adding of certain weapons, new game modes and new skins.

• Paid Members

Sometimes it'll be one of those Telltale RPGs, or something like Life Is Strange, where they hope they can get you hooked with the first free episode and then sell you the rest of the game piece by piece. It can also theoretically be less strain on the devs as rather than having to get the full game done by a certain point they can split the workload. 

Yeah it's a good way for a game to bring in a bit more dough over it's lifetime than it would if say released all as one. It also allows the developer to tweak it and remove/add stuff. Something like Life is Strange would be a hard sell at £60 but over the course of 1-2 years it'll end up costing that in piece meal.

Getting stuck in to Horizon Zero Dawn. It's a stunning game and I'm dighing the story so far but I bloody hate that navigational bar that it has. Like AC Odyssey and Fallout 4 I tend to spend more time looking at that than the great environment.

I'm fond of Life is Strange, but for this last one I waited till the whole thing was out before diving in, because the long wait between episodes can really sap the wind out of a story.

I think they're considering a more front-loaded development for the next one, with shorter gaps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 2/11/2020 at 11:19 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah it's a good way for a game to bring in a bit more dough over it's lifetime than it would if say released all as one. It also allows the developer to tweak it and remove/add stuff. Something like Life is Strange would be a hard sell at £60 but over the course of 1-2 years it'll end up costing that in piece meal.

This is my chief concern with FF7R. It may cost up to the price of a console to finish the story properly, and now that side/job quests have been explicitly mentioned in the press I'm now thinking back to FF15 and wondering if the devs are able to tell the difference between fleshing the story out and bloating it. I can really do without "kill-this-mob-in-particular-to-grind-quicker" taking up a huge chunk of story. Also the later it gets padded out the sooner we'll be moving to PS5 tech and the danger would be to essentially sell the entire story for £90 (four chapters for the price of 2/3) making the current hoo-ha redundant in hindsight.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:19 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Getting stuck in to Horizon Zero Dawn. It's a stunning game and I'm dighing the story so far but I bloody hate that navigational bar that it has. Like AC Odyssey and Fallout 4 I tend to spend more time looking at that than the great environment.

I didn't rely on the bar so much as the world map does a great job of marking waypoints and the game world is small enough.

Did you buy the Frozen Worlds add-on? I heartily recommend it, it's beautiful.