WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

It's on my shopping list. I've found myself with quite a backlog at the moment so hopefully The Surge 2 will be a bit cheaper by the time I've got through a few of those. I almost liked the first one, but it wasn't moreish enough to persevere past the first few areas. Same with Lords of the Fallen, which was by the same developers, so I'm not totally convinced about paying full price for the new one.

I played The Last of Us Left Behind this morning. It's just more of The Last of Us but the story is as rich as anything in the main game. Lovely couple of hours spent in a miserable near post apocalyptic world. Makes me wish The Walking Dead was good.

Also checked out Syonara Wild Hearts on the ladies iPhone. It's got a banging soundtrack and has that pefect blend of being easy to pick up and difficult to master that all gamey games should have.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Played more KOFXIV this afternoon. Trotted  through with the Kim Kaphwan team. Kim is the best member. Guang Il is similar, but it's more a Gouken/Ryu thing than the Ryu/Ken thing Kim has going on with Jae Hoon, and Luang is slightly different again. Then I realised I didn't own KOF '99, but for some reason it isn't on the PSN store and I'm not massively keen on playing fighting games on my XBone. so didn't buy it. Played a bit of '98 (Kim, Ryo, Joe Higashi) and then decided to play some Real Bout Fatal Fury. Damn those AI fighters are cheap.  And the inputs for the specials are quite fiddly. I'll probably crack on with some more XIV tonight, as there are still some teams I haven't got the endings for.. The Women's Team ending is so good, and has some great cameos.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Been taking a break from being a horrible goose to catch up on Final Fantasy VIII Remaster.

Backstory - I did not like this game when it came out. I adored VII, and went back and played previous games in the series, so could not have been more hyped for it on release. But then along comes this game with a wonky battle/stats system, a storyline that feels made up as they go along, and it just felt like a huge letdown.

I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around. Being older and "wiser", I'm enjoying the junctioning system of stat management a lot more, and playing a lot more tactically than I've probably ever played a Final Fantasy game before. There are still aspects of it than annoy me - characters having a maximum number of different magic they can stockpile, having to "junction switch" every time the story forces me to change party members, being limited to four commands so having to choose between whether Zell uses Magic or Items - but it's a lot more coherent than I remember. The fast-forward option is an absolute godsend when it comes to drawing a ton of magic from one or two monsters, and I've basically played the whole game with it switched on.

Because I've spent less time grinding/exploring than I would have done first time around, it's all gone by rather quickly (I'm up to Disc 3 now), so the story hasn't felt quite as cobbled together as it did previously. And there's some lines of dialogue, and weird hard to find supplementary text, that foreshadow some of the odder plot developments so they're not quite as out of nowhere as I'd always thought. Though the "here's a significant, insane bit of backstory, but I guess none of us remember, and the only who does just didn't think to mention it" reveal is still unforgivably ridiculous even with two lines of dialogue ten hours earlier to allude to part of it.

Reached the pub part of Untitled Goose Game last night. There's an old man wandering around carrying a harmonica. You can swipe his stool away when he goes to sit down, so he lands on his backside and drops his harmonica. Pick it up and honk wildly into it, parping a tuneless noise in the old man's face while he angrily chases you about the beer garden. 

On 10/2/2019 at 10:27 AM, BomberPat said:

Been taking a break from being a horrible goose to catch up on Final Fantasy VIII Remaster.

Backstory - I did not like this game when it came out. I adored VII, and went back and played previous games in the series, so could not have been more hyped for it on release. But then along comes this game with a wonky battle/stats system, a storyline that feels made up as they go along, and it just felt like a huge letdown.

I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around. Being older and "wiser", I'm enjoying the junctioning system of stat management a lot more, and playing a lot more tactically than I've probably ever played a Final Fantasy game before. There are still aspects of it than annoy me - characters having a maximum number of different magic they can stockpile, having to "junction switch" every time the story forces me to change party members, being limited to four commands so having to choose between whether Zell uses Magic or Items - but it's a lot more coherent than I remember. The fast-forward option is an absolute godsend when it comes to drawing a ton of magic from one or two monsters, and I've basically played the whole game with it switched on.

Because I've spent less time grinding/exploring than I would have done first time around, it's all gone by rather quickly (I'm up to Disc 3 now), so the story hasn't felt quite as cobbled together as it did previously. And there's some lines of dialogue, and weird hard to find supplementary text, that foreshadow some of the odder plot developments so they're not quite as out of nowhere as I'd always thought. Though the "here's a significant, insane bit of backstory, but I guess none of us remember, and the only who does just didn't think to mention it" reveal is still unforgivably ridiculous even with two lines of dialogue ten hours earlier to allude to part of it.

I was surprised about the foreshadowing too, although Seifer coincidentally using the name ‘Matron’ after the big reveal is pretty convenient. Maybe one of the characters texted him or something, since they all know one another.

I’ve reached the final boss and I’d always thought the challenge was scaled to your level in this game, so I didn’t bother grinding. I keep getting one-hit killed by Griever during that unavoidable portion where his ‘true power’ is unleashed which is an absolute bollock. No alteration of my junctioning seems to protect me, nor does Shell or Protect. 

And FUCK the random rule during Triple Triad I’d planned to collect all the cards once I had the Ragnarok, but that’s now pretty much impossible. I can’t complete the Queen of Cards quest as I can’t get her to drop that rule and I’m not getting the card I need to lose to her when I face her. Fucking diabolical.

• Paid Members
On 10/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, The King Of Swing said:

1. Start Destiny 2.

2. Complete 1st Shadowkeep mission.

3. Get booted.

4. Enjoy that queue bitch.

giphy.gif

That's my night sorted.

Launch is always a disaster! How you finding it? 

2 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Reached the pub part of Untitled Goose Game last night. There's an old man wandering around carrying a harmonica. You can swipe his stool away when he goes to sit down, so he lands on his backside and drops his harmonica. Pick it up and honk wildly into it, parping a tuneless noise in the old man's face while he angrily chases you about the beer garden. 

I took it to the two women and did a whole song and dance for them, they gave me a flower.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I was surprised about the foreshadowing too, although Seifer coincidentally using the name ‘Matron’ after the big reveal is pretty convenient. Maybe one of the characters texted him or something, since they all know one another.

There's a line of dialogue that's just gloriously janky, where Squall says, "Edea isn't evil any more, she's back to being the good matron we all remember". Hang on, didn't we just wade through mountains of exposition to establish that you don't remember? The whole Edea face turn doesn't really feel like it adds that much to the plot that couldn't have been achieved without all that fluff, just keeping her as the primary villain instead, and feels like a Studio Ghibli film, where the villain just becomes a benign friend of the good guy once they've served their narrative purpose.

There's some weird bits - on your very first mission, Quistis mentions "GF critics", and there's a line on the Garden's computer system (which, as far as I can tell, you're never encouraged to look into) about the impact of prolonged GF use on memory. That's more than I remember being there, but it's still an awful lot buried in the most innocuous lines of text possible, considering it plays directly into a major plot point. But don't worry, because (as far as I can remember) the risk of memory loss is never mentioned again anyway, continue to use all the GFs you like, go get some new ones, have fun. I'm pretty sure the whole existence of Garden Master NORG is, before he becomes part of the plot, only mentioned on that computer as well.

I've just got back from the outer space bit, and even that feels so bloody out of nowhere. Again, the fact that monsters come from the moon is maybe mentioned in passing once before? You're going up to Esthar, asking for help, and then suddenly you're on a spaceship? What did I miss? Everyone just takes it in their stride! And all the stuff around Lunatic Pandora - there's suddenly this huge plot point and, as far as I can tell, no fucker's breathed a word of it before.

After that, you've got Ragnarok, and I was trying to figure out where the Garden was. Turns out it's at Fisherman's Horizon. Because there's a direct railway track from Fisherman's Horizon to Esthar. How do we know that? Oh, it's mentioned in an issue of Timber Maniacs that Laguna took that route to get there. Timber Maniacs, a thing it never explains what it's for, or that you can read it on, you guessed it, the Garden computer.

You never have this trouble with a horrible goose.

15 hours ago, waters44 said:

Launch is always a disaster! How you finding it? 

Not bad so far, but more Destiny is always fine by me . Servers have stabilised and it's been smooth sailing since, and the gunplay will always be top notch.

I always enjoy the crucible so I've spent a chunk of my time mucking about there. Story is just ok so far and I'm assuming will be pretty short.

The season/battle pass will probably put some off. I'm fine with it personally.

That's just me though. Many will probably hate the changes.