WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

There's a nice EVO sale going on this weekend onXBox live. I'mt empted by Dragonball FighterZ for £13. Got aproper old school Marvel 2 feel to the fighting, and the story mode is really good as well. I downloaded it for one of the free play weekends and it was a lot of fun. I don't know whether Sony are doing something similar. Discount character packs for KOF XIV or FEXL would be nice. I'll have a look tonight, and possibly play some more Street Fighter 5 for the first time in goodness knows how long.

The latest Under Night In-Birth is free to play for few days on Steam, it's a super accessible yet deep fighter like the DBZ game and has possibly the best tutorial system around.

If you remember those old Melty Blood games it's by the same developer.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

It's one of the main games at EVO this weekend, I think. I wish the Zaibatsu was still together as I bet it would have made for a great episode of Friday Night Fisticuffs. 

@Merzbow is it like the Guilty Gear Xrd one with the little mini games? I liked the Skullgirls tutorial. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Under Night is so good. Bridges the gap between traditional fighters and anime fighters, makes a great attempt to teach people how to play it and is one of the better balanced anime fighters too. 

It has 1200 entrants at Evo this year, which is double the highest number of any other anime game ever and it thoroughly deserves it. 

SFV reveal is a bit underwhelming as I feel that the whole game needs an overhaul rather than just another character pack. 

To be fair Poison’s gameplay has been drastically re-designed and she is completely new. In SF4 she had really strong fireball zoning and then very powerful corner pressure which was also based around the fireball. She also had rekkas and a dragon punch. In SFV she has no fireballs or rekkas and no DP. I really liked ultra-dry SF4 poison but I give them credit for totally reinventing her. Hideous redesign on her face and hair though. She looks very insistent on speaking to the manager in this game. 

Honda is pretty Honda-y. I like the running grab that is indeed very sumo. The stage remake is lovely also.  

Lucia is possibly the blandest character in the game, though the extended trailer for her on the official SF channel showed that she has a very cool set of fireballs. Don’t know why they left that out of the initial one. 

I feel for Ono that he’s had to cancel his big stage reveal for Sunday as he clearly loves doing those. They need to stop fucking up though. Namco and NRS manage to keep a lot of their biggest secrets under wraps but with Capcom it’s expected that everything will be out ahead of time. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

People are suggesting Ken mains who are disappointed by Ken may want to play Lucia. She's practically got his super anyway. Poison was interesting to play in SF4.

• Paid Members

Has anyone played 'The Long Dark'?

Outside of RDR2, I havent bothered with the Xbox for a while, but as a big Fan of the TV series 'Alone' this game looks right up my street. 

Any opinions? I'm hopefully gonna have a look at it tonight.

Edited by Silky Kisser

27 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Has anyone played 'The Long Dark'?

Outside of RDR2, I havent bothered with the Xbox for a while, but as a big Fan of the TV series 'Alone' this game looks right up my street. 

Any opinions? I'm hopefully gonna have a look at it tonight.

It's brilliant to play through but incredibly tough. Takes some time getting used to but is worth it. The story is decent but after a year of waiting, additional chapters have still yet to be released. 

Survival mode is just wonderful to explore and the map is quite vast, again it is very difficult to survive but you can customise some settings to balance it out if you need to. The soundtrack and graphics really compliment the games atmosphere. Some of the more realistic factors such as carry weight and space can affect your day to day/surroundings planning especially as some areas are sparse on resources. 

The downsides are that you have to remember routes as the map is basic and won't help unless you fill it in. (A mistake I learned early on.) Some areas are unnecessarily harsh on conditions and resources. It can be a little lonely on survival mode as its just you vs nature. Moving much needed resources from area to area can be tedious and often difficult. Also it's not a play for half an hour/hour type game, you need to sink in around two hours at a time to get into it. 

It is well worth the price and is on sale every now and then. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Rule One said:

It's brilliant to play through but incredibly tough. Takes some time getting used to but is worth it. The story is decent but after a year of waiting, additional chapters have still yet to be released. 

Survival mode is just wonderful to explore and the map is quite vast, again it is very difficult to survive but you can customise some settings to balance it out if you need to. The soundtrack and graphics really compliment the games atmosphere. Some of the more realistic factors such as carry weight and space can affect your day to day/surroundings planning especially as some areas are sparse on resources. 

The downsides are that you have to remember routes as the map is basic and won't help unless you fill it in. (A mistake I learned early on.) Some areas are unnecessarily harsh on conditions and resources. It can be a little lonely on survival mode as its just you vs nature. Moving much needed resources from area to area can be tedious and often difficult. Also it's not a play for half an hour/hour type game, you need to sink in around two hours at a time to get into it. 

It is well worth the price and is on sale every now and then. 

Ah thanks very much for the detail.

I've read a few bits and it's astonishingly siminlar the the Alone show. I'm never gonna get out into the wilderness to rough it myself, so this seems the next best thing.

I actually purchased a digital copy through my Xbox account earlier for £25, but I've since found you can buy a phyiscal copy for less than a tenner, so I'm trying to sort out a refund now.

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

Hollow Knight - a Metroidvania - is awesome to play and just look at. But don't play the PS4 version, there's noticeable latency in it. Get it on Switch or Steam.

• Paid Members

I picked up the new characters for SFV. Lucia has some nice zoning tricks with her little fire kick move. It can be good for keeping people out, but she has enough tools to make people not want to get in anyway. 

Poison's new fighting style can mix things up nicely. The whip swing can be nice for sneaking behind your opponent, and her main whip move can be good for pushing opponents away, or dragging them in for a combo if they're caught unaware. 

Honda doesn't really play all that differently from Super Turbo, aside from the V-trigger stuff, but is a nice solid hand.