WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Love finding out what mad indie games are free with PS+ each month. Never really have time to invest in the big flagship titles they give away, but love getting free stuff to kill ten minutes here and there.

Burly Men of The Sea is bloody lovely, love the art style. Very simplistic, and not much of a "game", but relaxing and fun.

Roundabout is bonkers and I love it. Like a bastard spiritual successor to both Crazy Taxi and Katamari, only with cheesy live action FMV cut scenes and a romance subplot. I love it.

As much as like the bloke (Probably one of the only people on earth that do) , that video was like something straight out of a Granada Men & Motors cutting room floor. Really came across as out of touch there. 

I still want to see him tackle Mario 64 though. Fuck all the memorabilia bollocks in his attic. 

Edited by Alex Wright Mark

• Paid Members

"Look at them!"

It's like how Alan Partridge would present an online gaming show. I love the way he's in the middle of a passionate promo about Mario 64 then just tosses the cartridge behind him midway through. Imagine the scenes if people select that now, only for him to boot up the cartridge and it's now broken. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Love finding out what mad indie games are free with PS+ each month. Never really have time to invest in the big flagship titles they give away, but love getting free stuff to kill ten minutes here and there.

Burly Men of The Sea is bloody lovely, love the art style. Very simplistic, and not much of a "game", but relaxing and fun.

Roundabout is bonkers and I love it. Like a bastard spiritual successor to both Crazy Taxi and Katamari, only with cheesy live action FMV cut scenes and a romance subplot. I love it.

Roundabout looks ace, like Kuru Kuru Kururin meets Mad Dog McCree.

6 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

"Look at them!"

It's like how Alan Partridge would present an online gaming show. I love the way he's in the middle of a passionate promo about Mario 64 then just tosses the cartridge behind him midway through. Imagine the scenes if people select that now, only for him to boot up the cartridge and it's now broken. 

Alan Cartridge.

• Paid Members

There's such a massive difference between a game launch and a movie launch, plus normally a "Triple A" game at launch costs at least 4 times as much as a cinema ticket. It'd be interesting to see these figures in terms of number of actual units/tickets sold.

The Pro Evo/PUBG thing somebody mentioned earlier is just for one of those Free Play weekend events they do on XBox Live.

• Paid Members

I always find it strange when you see stats comparing $ sales between movies and video games. It seems pointless comparing the two media platforms given the massive variance in pricing, amongst other things. A video game will surely cost around 4 x the amount of a cinema ticket, so it shouldn't be a surprise that Red Dead has made more money within the first 3 days of launch than a major movie.

Simply comparing it to previous video games should suffice as a testament to it's popularity. $725m is pretty extraordinary. The above also goes to show just how much of a phenomenon GTAV was/is, because surely the average unit price was lower than RDR2 is today.

edit: I hadn't seen Jazzygeofferz reply- the 4 x estimate was a pretty good guess then!

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I always find it strange when you see stats comparing $ sales between movies and video games. It seems pointless comparing the two media platforms given the massive variance in pricing, amongst other things. A video game will surely cost around 4 x the amount of a cinema ticket, so it shouldn't be a surprise that Red Dead has made more money within the first 3 days of launch than a major movie.

Simply comparing it to previous video games should suffice as a testament to it's popularity. $725m is pretty extraordinary. The above also goes to show just how much of a phenomenon GTAV was/is, because surely the average unit price was lower than RDR2 is today.

The comparison comes from cinema historically being the most popular and profitable form of media for the last century, so the most popular film is, or has, by default been the pinnacle of media (from a profit perspective). It's probably the biggest shift in entertainment since cinema began that games are 'out-selling' them or that an industry that has been around for 30 years is earning those numbers. Obviously, like you say, they aren't directly comparable and there's things to consider like the cost of creating it and the turnaround time (It cost the same as Infinity War to make but Marvel have made almost the entire MCU in that time) and how many games are actually reaching those heights. There's still a very real argument that film is still a far biggest industry and always will be imagine saying a game would make that much money, even during the height of 80s arcade.

It also comes at a time when games and movies are so comparible in viewer/gamer experience. Both forms are constantly influencing the other. Look at how action films are so much like vide games now and how cinematic and fmv driven games are now. It's not a straight up comparison but it's close. Like the difference between  UFC and WWE. Same ball park different margins.