WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

I thought Xbox had a decent E3. Some good game announcements plus Project Scorpio, a 4K, VR capable, 6 core console that they're saying is the most powerful console ever.

Wait, they're bringing out a whole new console to have something that's VR capable. I thought the Oculous Rift would have been compatible with the XB1. That's an odd step to take.

• Paid Members

No, I don't think the Rift was ever supposed to be fully compatible with the Xbox One, just the theatre mode and the fact that it ships with an Xbox controller. They're presenting the new console as almost a bridge between current gen and next gen - Xbox OneS between Xbox One and Xbox Two, if you will.

Scorpio will still technically be an Xbox One. Same games, just more oomph behind them.

It'll go like this:

Xbox One (current model)

Xbox One S (slimline model)

Project Scorpio (upgraded model)

Hasn't Phil Spencer stated that existing games will experience performance improvements? It does VR. It does 4K gaming. There is way more hardware in it. How could it not improve gaming performance? Isn't that the point?

• Paid Members

Hasn't Phil Spencer stated that existing games will experience performance improvements? It does VR. It does 4K gaming. There is way more hardware in it. How could it not improve gaming performance? Isn't that the point?

I think it means that while you can display in 4K or run VR or whatever, it won't improve the actual game in terms of loading times, framerates, etc. Like how the slim 360 was better hardware than the core or elite 360 but everything ran the same.

EDIT: from IGN

This week at E3, Microsoft announced Project Scorpio—a more powerful version of Xbox One—that, according to Head of Xbox Phil Spencer, was designed specifically with 4K televisions in mind.

In an interview with Eurogamer, Spencer said those who don't have a 4K display should instead buy an Xbox One S, "because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you. Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see."

Project Scorpio Trailer - E3 2016

The Xbox boss went on to emphasize that fans can still opt for the more powerful model when it releases next year; however, they won't see the benefits until they purchase a 4K TV. "Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you," he said.

Naturally, Scorpio will be more expensive than Xbox One S, so Microsoft wanted to ensure there's a budget-friendly option for consumers as well. "I would say, price point is important, compatibility is critically important," he added. "We looked at 4K... talked to creators about the work they were doing on PC in order to hit a true 4K gaming experience, and six teraflops is what we needed to go hit, so we designed for that."

While prior reports suggested that Xbox One S may run better than the original console, Xbox planning lead Albert Penello clarified to Eurogamer that the extra processing power to enable HDR will have "literally no impact" on game performance.

Edited by FelatioLips

Nice one for the info, Triple A (not gonna quote that wall of text).

All it's pushing is the graphics so. What else can you do, I suppose. Maybe the 4K taking the strain off things like resolution and draw distance will enable devs to go to town more with physics and world size because they don't have to worry about scaling and lag and stuff? My knowledge of this kind of stuff is pretty crappy.

I won't be buying anyway. I miss simplistic, straightfoward console gaming. Right now it's becoming some weird middle ground between what it used to be and PC gaming. I can see this kind of stuff backfiring on Sony and Microsoft. The temptation to just invest a bit in a decent PC seems better than ever now.

There's going to be an Xbox Tarantula or whatever announced in two years you gotta know.

• Paid Members

I'm not really on point with how 4K works but I think it would have to be made with 4K in mind to see any difference. Apparently 4K is barely noticeable anyway.

You can run current games with 4K on but you won't see a difference I think.

Not on topic with E3 but me and the other half are hooked on Lego Dimensions currently. Complete money grabbing but it's perfect fun, and some of the content is fantastic.

Edited by FelatioLips