WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Due to a deluge of games I picked up at the end of last year, it seems that Assassins Creed Revelations got completely lost in the shuffle and I only played it for around 45-50 minutes when it first came out.

I found myself in the mood for a little climby runny stabby goodness, after watching some trailers for Assassins Creed 3, so have been working my way through it for the last week or so. Really enjoyable for the most part, but what in the name of GOD were they thinking with those

I've just started playing Bulletstorm from last year. It's practically identical to Space Marine - I mean, same gameplay, same set-piece battles, same dodgy sound mix. Does the Unreal Engine come with a identikit FPS, and you just switch out the graphics?

• Paid Members
I've just started playing Bulletstorm from last year. It's practically identical to Space Marine - I mean, same gameplay, same set-piece battles, same dodgy sound mix. Does the Unreal Engine come with a identikit FPS, and you just switch out the graphics?

I really enjoyed Bulletstorm, but then I've not played Space Marine enough to compare the two. Bulletstorm itself looked like a spin-off of Gears of War anyway so the three aren't worlds apart even from first glance. Cookie cutter or not though, it's an extremely fun game.

Gameplay wise i wouldn't say that Bulletstorm was like Space Marine at all, once you start picking up new weapons and the leash it becomes a shooter a step above 90% of the brown clones. Maybe it's just because i didn't look so deeply into the game, i saw it as a fun rollercoaster ride and went along with it.

Edited by Merzbow

I think it's because I've only just been playing Space Marine, the similarities are uncanny. They kind of resemble Gears, but as neither has a particularly advanced cover system they're pale imitations. Bulletstorm is probably stronger, but I found the Space Marine story and locations much better. I'm only a few hours into Bulletstorm, mind you.

When I play games like this, you realise how little the genre has moved on - fundamentally they're wide corridors down which you run blowing away set waves of enemies before a checkpoint where some ammo is usually available. You usually have 2 weapon slots and grenades, or possibly a physics gun (or in this case, a fake physics gun). I mean, I loved Halo and Half Life, but they were a long time ago now.

I know what you mean there Loki, it does seem to be a lot of those style of games have stuck to the "Halo formula" which is about 11 years old now.

5fa3ea23_fps-map-design-then-and-now-10705-1289245688-26.jpeg

I would also like to say that Sleeping Dogs is the best game where you can pilot a speedboat, whilst listening to Duran Duran whilst wearing a pastel suit since GTA Vide City.

Edited by Rey_Piste

To be fair Bulletstorm is one of the VERY few modern console style shooters i've played so i don't have that many games to judge it against, it just felt a little different to the ones i have played. I have to agree with that image though, seen it before and it's sad to see how a lot of mainstream gaming has become and not just the FPS genre. I was about to say at least we still have smaller devs making amazing open world, complex shooters like STALKER but they've lost the licence or disbanded or something along those lines.

• Paid Members
With Sleeping Dogs, Transformers and Darksiders II now out, the flow of good games is about to pick up again. I've no chance of keeping up so I'll have to be picky this year. First, Transformers.

What's Transformers like?

• Paid Members

I had a good go at the Sleeping Dogs demo over the weekend, as LaGoosh mentioned, the context specific fighting (throwing people into fan blades, off buildings etc) is good fun, but I dunno.....when it comes to fighting a lot of people at once everything else seems clunky and awkward after Arkham City now. That game had it spot on.

Speaking of Arkham City, I've been going back trying to solve all the riddles, get the trophies and finish off the side missions this weekend. My god the level of thought and pure design put into some of them is amazing. I think I have 310 / 440 now. Has anyone actually finished them?