WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Yeah Dues Ex got great reviews but I thought it was fucking awful and gave up on it. Typical boring and uninspiring setting, characters and world and the gameplay is very dull and unexciting.

Also I gace up on Skyward Sword. I fucking love Zelda games but I've been playing them since I was 7 years old. They need to do something new with the formula and the frustrating Motion Plus isn't it. Plus the graphics are somehow worse than Wind Waker(which I thought was criminally underrated).

Sounds just like Skyrim, i've had to give up on it as it's the typical charmless crap the nerds at Bethesda make but that's for another thread.

I really enjoyed Deus Ex, the story and setting is in part something i'm already interested in being a huge fan of Cyberpunk since the 80's Animes and Bladerunner like films. I also love the whole Humanity Front/Purity First anti-aug politics played throughout it. My only problem is that the stealth wasn't as fun as Splinter Cell, now there's a game a really hope goes back to it's roots a bit more next time round.

I've been sticking with Deus Ex and I'm glad I did. Whilst the combat parts are still really clunky and other parts could've used some work, the story is really engrossing, the art direction is fantastic and I've come across some more interesting side quests. Once you get past the first bit, it's well worth giving a go.

• 2 weeks later...

NFSTHERUNPS3.jpg

Need for Speed - The Run

I'll be honest, the premise sounds fantastic a massive race across the US of A from San Francisco to New York through Las Vegas and Chicago. 200 other races all battling it out to get to the finish first for a massive cash prize all whilst your being chased by the cops and gangsters who you've done something bad to. Added onto that was the awesome

and it went straight on the Christmas list.

Oh how disapointed I am.

- The game is chopped into 5 minute different sub races which all require at least 1 minute of load time each.

- The game has that awful Mario Kart, if your in second you get faster and if your in 1st all of a sudden people catch you gameplay

- You can only pass a specific amount of people per stage, making it oh so tedious (I've been playing for 1 hour 15 minutes now and only in 80th-ish, having started from 200th.

Its all a shame really because the gameplay is actually quite good other than that, good fast action lovely looking cars and challenging races. I just cant help but feel this could have been so much better.

Edited by JFFC

I've been playing Aliens Infestation on DS, its really quite good, similar to the Alien 3 game and Metroid games. The music is awesome and its quite scary sometimes. Its also very difficult, but not frustratingly so.

Also playing Pokemon SoulSilver again and its awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone on a bit of a gaming spree recently and have tried out a variety of games i hadn't previously.

First up:

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning.

I've found recently that i'm not a big fan of these mostly single player RPG's, Fable 3 didn't hold my interest at all, Skyrim looked 'ok' but nothing to keep me sucked in (though i hadn't really tried it) but Kingdoms Of Amalur I played to completion (barring a lot of side quests still left over) in around a week or so. The game is cool, the graphics are pretty nice, the crafting system seems fairly well thought out and the storyline whilst not particularly unique is good enough. I mentioned that I left a lot of side quests undone and this is because there's A LOT of them, I had at first been trying to do them all on the way through the main storyline but in the end figured I'd do the story then go back to them. The combat is good, the variety of weapons and the mastery tree's diversity really make the game feel great to play. The destiny system as opposed to a rigid class system lends itself to a nice variety of paths you can go down and your character really becomes your own. At first I played as a Greatsword wielding Warrior but later transitioned into a finesse / might hybrid becoming a slayer this was mostly down to one of the 'rogue' weapons being so good (Faeblade).

The only criticism I have is perhaps the main story is a little short and bosses aren't so difficult for the most part since you have reckoning mode which means you can kill things real quick with no hassle. I'd actually suggest not using the Reckoning mode on all bosses, it's more fun without it and harder.

Torchlight

Somehow i missed out on this game, but with the run up to Diablo 3's eventual release i heard of it, gave it a quick go today and it seems quite good - will be going back to it in anticipation of Torchlight 2.

Darkness 2:

Looked alright, but not my kind of game - it should be played on a console not on the PC due to the buttons needed in active combat, being left handed and using the arrow keys as opposed to WASD and needing my left hand for the mouse makes combat a little tricky / clunky feeling.

I'm about to try Crusader Kings 2 which looks like a nice strategy game and i'm currently downloading Age of Empires Online for a bit of RTS fun.

Question:

Which of the 'newish' Command and Conquers should I play? I've read bad reviews on tiberian twilight or w/e it was (although tiberian sun is undoubtedly my favourite C+C of the older generations).

• 1 month later...

I've just finished Shadow of the Colossus. I can't really describe how I feel about it, first of all, it took me an hour to get to grips with the controls and the camera. The controls and camera system were rather infuriating at times along with the collision detection when you're riding Agro and you brush a wall and he stops completely. Also the get on horse button is the same as the jump button which can be frustrating especially in the colossus battles where you use the horse.

Now, with that out of the way, much like Resident Evil, I feel that the control system, terrible as it is endeared the game even more to me. Though I keep reminding myself its a ps2 game as well. Each Colossus battle was immense, and there really isn't a better feeling in all of gaming than when the Colossi come crashing down, almost euphoric. It makes you feel silly and smart at the same time, when you realise how to get on a Colossus THEN take it down there is no finer feeling. The beautiful scenery and sense of isolation is absolutely great and the scope of the Colossi battles are awe inspiring. Oh and I forgot to mention how beautiful the music was, when it was used. I'll spoiler the rest just incase....(its about the story/ending)

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The ending? WHAT? Whats going on? Its mental. The last Boss was rubbish though, especially if you die and have to start at the start of the level again. Also just before you got there it took me ages to discover that you had to ride the horse over the bridge so the cut scene would trigger, i kept trying to run over it, duh. Anyway, he turns into a baby, and they live peacefully sealed away in the forbidden land...I think I liked the ending...

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

anyway, now for ICO...

Edited by Cobra1000

• 1 month later...

Playing Sonic 4 Ep 2, its longer than Ep 1. Tough in some places, they have brought tails into the mix and the CPU can control him or a buddy plus sonic and tails have double team moves in this game. The special stages are like sonic 2 but with a twist and special stages are activated the old way get 50 rings and get to end of the level like Ep 1/Sonic 1. Bosses are unique too and challenging the first time round.Not finished it yet but near (I guess).

Max Payne 3

Despite being a huge fan of the first two I only pre-ordered on Wednesday after reading the early reviews and have been playing it since yesterday and it's pretty good.

The action is fairly slick and good fun, the bullet time camera view when you shoot the last enemy in an area is a nice touch as well. Although I liked the comic book presentation of the previous games the presentation is very good and what you'd expect from a Rockstar game.

The writing definitely isn't as good as the other two games and at times falls into the "lets say the c-word to show we're edgy" school of writing, and though it's co-written by Dan Houser it's not as good as Sam Lake's previous efforts. The checkpoints can be pretty poor at times as well and despite early on being told to explore areas for clues you can sometimes fail because in some areas you're not supposed to look around and are supposed to get on with it (Max and other characters always hint at you to hurry up no matter what so it can be a bit of a gamble whether you'll fail for being slow or if you can explore a bit). The only other problem I've found so far, and maybe it's just me. is that I find I'm not using bullet time that regularly as I find it's often more effective to play the game as a cover-shooter to progress through areas rather than dying fairly often using previous tactics, which isn't really what Max Payne's all about.

I'm not at the end yet so my view may change but so far I do agree with the game getting a lot of 7 or 8 out of ten reviews as it's a good game that's worth buying and is bound to make a lot of people's top ten lists for the year (including mine most likely) but unlike the first two games, and other recent Rockstar releases at this time of year, it probably won't go down as a classic or be talked about as much in years to come.

Edited by TUFCfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game.

Quite probably the most frustrating thing I've ever laid my hands on. There is no shame on playing it on Medium (replete with pink bow tie and WUSS save points)

You're a boy with a cape, a small gun, a double-jump and infinite continues. That's it. Good luck.

• Paid Members

Nintendo just hosted a Nintendo Direct video with Iwata all about the Wii-U console and I've got to say it looks amazing. I was always skeptical that it was going to be just a fancier looking Wii, but they've added a load more stuff to it:

- The Circle pads are now control sticks, with click-able functions.

- The Wii-U controller features a camera so you can basically Skype with people through it

- There's a new social network built-in called the Miiverse where you can basically talk to everyone playing the same stuff as you in real time and ask for hints, send drawings, video chat, etc. You can also access the Miiverse through your mobile device.

- They're releasing the Wii-U Pro Controller (I think that's the name of it) which basically looks exactly like a 360 controller but with the 4 face buttons and right stick swapped up/down. Looks very smart and will appeal to the more hardcore games such as COD, and even Metroid. Or just for those wanting a pure game pad for stuff like Mario.

- The Miiverse will also come out for 3DS and be integrated into that, plus features from the 3DS like Letterbox are available on the Wii-U

- The Miiverse also lets players leave comments live in-game, so the example they showed was on Mario. Mario died right near the end and when it faded to black to restart it had a load of Miis with their speech bubbles and comments who died at the same part.

- The controller has an internet browser built in, which you can share with the TV at your own choosing. It also has a curtain feature meaning you can privately browse on the controller and then flick it onto the TV in a swipe, opening the curtains and revealing what you were looking at. Plenty of daft fun to be had with that feature I reckon.

- The Wii-U controller has a scanner built into the left side of it, a small square about an inch or two in area. This lets you scan things into games e.g. "Skylanders" style. There are rumblings it will work with games such as Pokemon amongst a ton of other things.

That's not everything but just off the top of my head. All in all it looks like a fantastic and very social bit of kit that appeals to both hardcore and casual gamers. Nintendo might finally have got the mix right.

EDIT: Video here - http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo_direct/

Edited by TripleA

Nintendo just hosted a Nintendo Direct video with Iwata all about the Wii-U console and I've got to say it looks amazing. I was always skeptical that it was going to be just a fancier looking Wii, but they've added a load more stuff to it:

- The Circle pads are now control sticks, with click-able functions.

- The Wii-U controller features a camera so you can basically Skype with people through it

- There's a new social network built-in called the Miiverse where you can basically talk to everyone playing the same stuff as you in real time and ask for hints, send drawings, video chat, etc. You can also access the Miiverse through your mobile device.

- They're releasing the Wii-U Pro Controller (I think that's the name of it) which basically looks exactly like a 360 controller but with the 4 face buttons and right stick swapped up/down. Looks very smart and will appeal to the more hardcore games such as COD, and even Metroid. Or just for those wanting a pure game pad for stuff like Mario.

- The Miiverse will also come out for 3DS and be integrated into that, plus features from the 3DS like Letterbox are available on the Wii-U

- The Miiverse also lets players leave comments live in-game, so the example they showed was on Mario. Mario died right near the end and when it faded to black to restart it had a load of Miis with their speech bubbles and comments who died at the same part.

- The controller has an internet browser built in, which you can share with the TV at your own choosing. It also has a curtain feature meaning you can privately browse on the controller and then flick it onto the TV in a swipe, opening the curtains and revealing what you were looking at. Plenty of daft fun to be had with that feature I reckon.

- The Wii-U controller has a scanner built into the left side of it, a small square about an inch or two in area. This lets you scan things into games e.g. "Skylanders" style. There are rumblings it will work with games such as Pokemon amongst a ton of other things.

That's not everything but just off the top of my head. All in all it looks like a fantastic and very social bit of kit that appeals to both hardcore and casual gamers. Nintendo might finally have got the mix right.

EDIT: Video here - http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo_direct/

Seems like they have, but i fear if the processing power isnt there, it will play third fiddle again...and i fear the price point may end up being WAY too high.

Edited by Mikey Freedom

• Paid Members

While the Wii was third fiddle, it still sold waaay more than both Xbox 360 and PS3 so in the grand scheme of things I imagine it to do well if they balance the marketing well. It will probably still be seen as the third console by a lot of people, but I imagine sales will rocket regardless.

I cannot stress how awesome this video is from 12:40 onwards. Serious oscar worthy amazing acting right there (isn't that right non-specific action figure?)

Kind of like how it effectively encourages you to discard your real life friends for pervy old men who now have a direct camera to your bedroom.

• Paid Members

I cannot stress how awesome this video is from 12:40 onwards. Serious oscar worthy amazing acting right there (isn't that right non-specific action figure?)

Kind of like how it effectively encourages you to discard your real life friends for pervy old men who now have a direct camera to your bedroom.

It somehow managed to both show off a load of cool features in a totally informative way and also present the cheesiest, shittest acting E3 will probably see.