WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Anyone played UFC 3 that could give me some tips? 

I haven't played a UFC game since the Game Cube. I'm absolutely atrocious at this. 

I've played it on easy difficulty, and it's far too easy. I play on normal difficulty and I can't win a fight. 

I'm aware of the basics, I understand the stamina gauge, the damage meter etc. But I'm constantly getting ko'd out of nowhere. 

I also understand the submission system, but my left/right hand coordination is shit. I've only managed to get to level 3 of the mini game. Even in practice mode. 

I'd like to get better at this, but it might just be one of those games I'm just too shit at to play. 

• Paid Members

Me and my son played NHL 19 the other day, as it's currently free with Games With Gold on Xbox. It seems like loads of fun, and barging fools all over the place is cool, however...

image.png.6f8ef0521e8cb30fc969623f263d6891.png

Play stops all the time and I have no idea why. I hope you can start fights like in the old Mega Drive games.

• Paid Members

Still Slay the Spire. As if 800 hours on Steam wasn't enough, I'm now ploughing away at the Switch version. Still completely obsessed with it. This weekend I have a couple of 4 hour train journeys ahead of me and I'm actually looking forward to them because of this game.

I still play Ultra SF4 both casually and competitively. I'm very local that my local fighting game community still runs this game as a monthly tournament. Aside from that it's great that there are enough of the old heads still playing it who are willing to travel around the country for big house sessions to play. Had 14 people at my friend's house the other weekend all brought together by their love of the game.

Also picked up Samurai Shodown this week. You can tell Dimps (SF4 devs) have had a hand in it for sure. The art style is lovely and it all feels incredibly weighty, responsive and satisfying. They have done very little to modernise the game at all and it makes it strangely refreshing to play compared to most modern fighters. The combos are extremely short, the character builds are mostly very simple and the game is entirely focused on patient, careful neutral game play and making big decisions about how to use your resources and when to take risks.

It's really really good but people raised on SFV and DBFZ will find it extremely jarring. Even for myself and my fellow grumpy old men it's been a big adjustment but I love it. The damage output is absolutely obscene in the style of old school fighters, every decision and move is extremely dangerous, every big read is hugely rewarding. You can have rounds that go 99 seconds and are palm-sweatingly tense for the duration because a mistake can literally lead to 70% of your health gone in one go. It doesn't have long intricate combos but my god it is a man's game.

Also props to SNK for the free season pass! No props for the rubbish lobby system and bare bones tutorial. The majority of fighting games are still SO BAD at explaining now only how their game works but how fighting games work in general. This one is no exception.

One of the characters has a special move that he is only able to use if, over the course of the entire match, he has connected with each of his other special moves first. The move list has the input for the move and a note that says says "use after special moves hit". So we were flapping about like idiots trying to rapidly input the move straight after a special move hits, thinking it was a follow up or something. It took a Youtube tutorial video to figure it out and that is inexcusable.

So, as with many other excellent fighting games, if you have a strong grasp of fighting game fundamentals and can fill in all the blanks then it's brilliant, if not it'll probably be frustrating as hell, you'll get beaten up by the first intermediate player you come across, you won't fully understand why because the game doesn't tell you and you'll hate it. This drives me nuts.

Skullgirls remains the only fighting game with a tutorial that does it right, and that was an indie game with a tiny development team reliant on crowd funding. These other games have no excuse for this shit.

Still, for the tiny niche of people this game is aimed at and will be able to get to grips with it, it's really fucking good.

4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Me and my son played NHL 19 the other day, as it's currently free with Games With Gold on Xbox. It seems like loads of fun, and barging fools all over the place is cool, however...

image.png.6f8ef0521e8cb30fc969623f263d6891.png

Play stops all the time and I have no idea why. I hope you can start fights like in the old Mega Drive games.

Yeah, I love it.  When the goalie freezes the puck (Covers it up as if he's grabbed a corner in stoppage time) keep tapping the Y button or PS equivalent and you'll eventually find someone who wants a ruck. 

Passed the 90 hour mark on BotW. 79 shrines done, Tarrey Town completed, killed Gannon (twice), done all the mazes, just 30 odd side missions, 7 memories to unlock and 41 shrines to find. I want that Thunder Helm too. I bloody love this game.

• Paid Members

Speaking of the Switch, and I'll come onto BOTW progress in a minute, have either of you had this problem with the right joycon where it's as though you're constantly moving the right stick? It's driving me up the wall. My friend has the same problem. I'm playing Zelda and then Link starts to look to the right endlessly.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, JLM said:

Still Slay the Spire. As if 800 hours on Steam wasn't enough, I'm now ploughing away at the Switch version. Still completely obsessed with it. This weekend I have a couple of 4 hour train journeys ahead of me and I'm actually looking forward to them because of this game

I really liked the sound of this last time you mentioned it but then didn't have time to play it at the time and totally forgot about it. So this reminder coincided well with it being on sale and me having some free time yesterday. I have had a couple runs - great fun. I can easily see how you've spent so much time on it. It's already got me looking for what the best deal I can get in a Switch is...

• Paid Members

Games With Gold is a bit of a mixed bag. I presume they've stuck Symphony Of The Night on there to drum up some interesting in Bloodstained. I have no idea what the other games are like. Inside is supposed to be a pretty good puzzle platformer. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's already got me looking for what the best deal I can get in a Switch is...

Decent timing. I'd been looking for ages and rarely saw any value. Over the last week or so I've finally started seeing tempting offers. Game have some good bundles going, you can get the console, a £30 e-shop voucher, a starter kit and one of Smash/Zelda/others for £310.