WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Anyone played the one shot demo for Resi 2? It's 30 minutes and done. 30 minutes was enough thank you very much and that was me only encountering standard zombies. 

Played it and loved it. It wasn't until I started playing it that I realised that Resident Evil 2 is probably the Resi game i've played the least, despite being one of my favouitres (and despite having the majority of the game be remade and featured in sooooooo many other games in the franchise) 

Didn't really get to see it in the demo but i'm interested to see how the boarding windows will work with you having to carry the boards and fill your inventory with items that aren't essential.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

My anxiety genuinely went through the roof. Not sure I'd garner much enjoyment from it. I've got the RE 4 remake on my backlog so ill see if I can play through that first.

You'll be fine, 4 isn't scary, aside from the regenerators. It's an action game (and one of the best ever made at that).

I can't wait for Friday. 2's still one of my favourite games anyway, if it gets even half the love and care the Resi 1 remake (the gold standard of remake in any medium) got, it'll be a 12/10. Seeing what they're doing with Mr. X, the prototype Nemesis, has me already bricking it at the thought of Nemesis in a 3make. NOPE!

I hope someone tracks down the legendary cowardly Japanese player and makes him stream the new one. The part where he's too scared to even take full footsteps kills me.

• Paid Members

We picked up a Switch for the kids for Christmas, wow what a console. Been having tonnes of fun with it lately. Let's Go Eevee is a lovely remastered version of Pokemon Red/Blue (or more Yellow I suppose, with a hint of Pokemon Go) Super Mario Party is great fun and Mario Kart is as good as expected.

Super Mario Odyssey is wonderful, so much to discover in each world and the levels are so cleverly designed.

Starlink is a bit of a revelation. It's only £20 at the moment in most places (which seems insanely cheap) and me and my son have been having fun with it this afternoon. Bought some extra weapon add-ons to attach to the cool JoyCon ship holder thingy, which my son is constantly changing during battles to see which work best against certain enemies.

I just hope Nintendo make the most of it, there's some great titles you can have to get good use out of the Switch. I'd happily pay for a remastered Wii Sports Resort.

I'm another one who bought Starlink for £17.99 recently, along with a couple of extra ships and weapons (but bugger the extra pilots). Really enjoyed the first planet and a half, but then I realised I'd pretty much seen everything on offer. Which is kind of the same for most modern Ubisoft games, really. I'll go back to it at some point, but as much as I enjoyed what I played, it did get quite repetitive after a while. 

Been really into Octahedron on the Switch over the last couple of days - genuinely can't remember the last time a platformer caught my attention so much. It's fairly tricky, but constantly throws new powers and enemies at you so you never quite know what to expect. It might be the most inventive game I've played in the last few years. The "Dark Souls of platform games" quote on the trailer is a bit misleading though. It doesn't play like Dark Souls at all, but it's got the same "if you die, keep trying" sort of thing to it. 

• Paid Members

Slay The Spire on Steam is THE game for me. It has dominated so much of my gaming time over the past year and has instantly placed itself in my top 5 games of all time. It finally comes out of Early Access today having already sold over 1 million copies. I have 550 hours game time and I still play it several times a week.

The unusual hybrid of deck-builder and roguelike has turned out to be the most addictive thing I've ever played. Also during early access it has been patched every Friday with new content, balance changes and various tweaks to the presentation, so it has truly been the gift that keeps on giving. It's the first game in years and years that has amassed the sort of gameplay time I usually only throw into fighting games. 

It's currently only on Steam but is heading to Switch later this year. Once it's on Switch my life is basically over and I'll probably have to quit my job and give up food to make room for a portable version of it. 

I bought Tetris Effect and Beat Saber recently and I love them both, but the call of the Spire means even those games haven't been getting nearly as much love as they should. 

Cannot wait for my copy of Resi 2 remake to arrive though. I avoided the demo as I knew it'd be a day one purchase. Although I agree with the general consensus that Resi 4 is one of the best games ever made, Resi 2 is the one that holds the most nostalgia value for me. Stepping into that police station again is going to stir up all of the feelings. Bought it from Shopto so I'm hoping to get it either this evening or tomorrow. I am very disillusioned with a lot of triple A releases these days (I cannot be arsed with Rockstar games at all, for example) and mostly live on a diet of fighting games and indie titles, so it's great to be super-excited about a game delivery turning up again. 😍

• Paid Members

If a Roguelike is done properly it's such a good time sink. There is (or possibly was) a Doom Roguelike (by the name of DoomRL) which is a fun little distraction. I had another pop at Street Fighter 5 and King Of Fighters XIV yesterday. I'm just trotting through the arcade ladders and trying the survival modes on SF5 and fannying about with random characters on KOF. I think my team was K',Joe Higashi and King Of Dinosaurs.

Dinosaur's little cut scenes with certaincharacters no-selling his heel turn and still calling him Tizoc are pretty funny.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Finished up the Leon scenario last night  in the Resident Evil 2 remake. 

Just travelling from room to room in the police station filled me with Nostalgia of my several playthroughs of the PS1 version(my favourite of the series) You definitely want to play this one with the lights off and with headphones on being that the game is so dark, there’s not much of a soundtrack at all(music only kicks in when enemies show up) and relies on creepy sound effects which definitely works, luckily I have the deluxe edition which allows a classic soundtrack swap for the original and will use that on my second playthroughs of the A scenarios.

Onto the Claire Scenario!

• Paid Members

The exact definition of Roguelike is a bit controversial. The strict definition requires the game to share more of the conventions of the term's namesake, Rogue (including turn-based combat, tile-based graphics etc.) so some folks prefer "Roguelite" to cover the many many games that borrow the permadeath and procedurally generated levels/level structure of Rogue but combine these with a completely different gameplay genre. 

The one thing they will share regardless of the pedantry of your terminology is that each play through ("run") will be unique and when you die it's game over. You get steadily better at it through repetition but you still have to think on your feet every time. This makes the "one more go" factor extremely strong.

Would also thoroughly recommend Enter The Gungeon as another Roguelite. It's a legit masterpiece in my eyes, one of the best indie games I've ever played and absolutely crammed with content. Every time I play I'll still see a new gun, item or synergy between gun/item that I've never seen before, and almost all of them are some nerdy reference to another game/film/TV show/etc. The gameplay is super-challenging but also very responsive and never feels unfair. It's fantastic. Get it. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

UKFF FGC members, Dragon Ball FighterZ is on a free play weekend this weekend AND 60% off on XBox Live until about tea time on Monday (down to £20 from £50). I assume this is because people may not be playing as much due to the producers of the show not allowing the game to be broadcast which has led to it being reduced to a side tournament by some organisers. I hear good things about it. The download is only about 6gb as well.