The Big Boss Man - a Hall of Fame bio.

IANdrewDiceClay

Great post! I totally agree HoF is richly deserved - he seemed to handle heel and face turns so smoothly, could do either so well. The Twin Towers setup is brilliant but so weird - a pimp (?) as manager, a cop and a white american reclaiming his African roots. Loved them and his face run, his attitude era run was pretty sweet too. 

Austin told a story on his podcast last year about Boss Man forgetting to run-in and attack during a Stone Cold match to keep the heat on their feud. He got back stage and Traynor was casually talking to folk in the dressing room, had completely forgotten about the run-in. Austin was saying what a class act he was behind the scenes, seems everybody got on with him.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Is that when Heenan kept going on about Boss Mans mum? Am I imagining stuff or did it lead to Heenan having to face Boss Man in a match?

Led to that brilliant episode of TV where Heenan is chained to the guard rail all show. The faces would come out and laugh, the heels would try to help break him out. Absolutely loved that show-long story.

• Paid Members

Boss Man, I think, was the guy that really made me love pro wrestling.

I'd been watching since Mania VI, and a few months later when he came out to Hogan's aid prior to SummerSlam I wept actual tears of joy. I was hooked.

Thanks Boss Man, welcome to the HoF.

What UK event was it when Boss Man was walking to the ring, and the fans started chanting "You Fat Bastid!" at him? 

He looked genuinely perplexed as he asked "Fat Baysturd?"

Capital Carnage. It was his first time back in the UK since that small handful of tour dates in Feb'93 just before he left the company.

I think DiBiase is a bit of a weird choice for the person to induct him.

Lovely stuff Ian!   Your writing really does need to go into a book.  

I remember on the Mega Matches tape, it was announced to the crowd that Bossman was going to be in Hogan's corner for his match with Dino Bravo (with Earthquake in his) the crowd seemed to go mental.  

I remember the Raw around the time of the Corporate Ministry I think it was.   As I recall (and my memory may be playing tricks here) Shane had stolen the Corporation away from Vince and formed the Corporate Ministry.   Boss Man was still loyal to vince or something, so when it turned out it was Vince all along, they were hinting at a babyface turn.  

Like I say, the details are foggy but I remember marking out when during a corporation promo, Boss Man came out to his old early 90s music.   In Russo esque fashion, it was either a swerve, or it had all been cleared up before he got there and he was back in.  

Sure it wouldn't have gone anywhere, but damn, I would have liked to have seen a Bossman face turn in the attitude era.  

• Paid Members

Is that when Heenan kept going on about Boss Mans mum? Am I imagining stuff or did it lead to Heenan having to face Boss Man in a match?

Yeah, they were doing Heenan & Rude slagging off his mum to set up Bossman-Rude matches. When Rude legitimately quit, they had Jack Tunney suspend him for the comments and order Heenan to substitute for him. Most of the matches involved a load of stalling and then Bossman winning in 10 seconds. They weren't on TV, but one of the matches was put on a home video (Mega Matches.)

Yeah, they were doing Heenan & Rude slagging off his mum to set up Bossman-Rude matches. When Rude legitimately quit, they had Jack Tunney suspend him for the comments and order Heenan to substitute for him. Most of the matches involved a load of stalling and then Bossman winning in 10 seconds. They weren't on TV, but one of the matches was put on a home video (Mega Matches.)

Ah right! Thanks for that! I must have got the Bossman and Heenan thing confused with Rooster and Heenan. Cheers for clearing that up.

• Paid Members

great work Ian!

Glad to see Bossman get the nod though, such an integral part of my early days of being a wrestling fan. It's always nice to see the more unsung guys of that era get their props.

Was searching some Bossman images after reading the thread and came across this old magazine cover, really hit the nostalgia spot for me, probably hadn't seen this image in 20 years but i remember it clear as day.

sp10.jpg

Fantastic post Ian. Hit a nerve!

Really is good to see him being inducted this year. I only really got back into wrestling in the past year or so, and I remember Bossman being my first exposure to WWF when I picked a WWF comic at random one day. Without Sky TV I read this thing a million times over:

981115.jpg

It was a bit shit, but when I finally started getting videos Bossman was always one I looked out for. I was always impressed by how fast he could move even with his gut hanging our of his sweaty shirt. Maybe that's why I've always been such a bloater.

Archived