UFC 197: Jones vs OSP

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Surely there was "but" to that story though Chunk? I'm guessing it must have followed something like the war he had with Gustafsson has now given him the belief that he can beat Jones? I doubt Rockhold would basically say DC is now fucked in the rematch?

Sorry, yeah. He went on to say that he gave DC a pep talk and told him that he could, of course, beat him. But he was suggesting that the first time around the loss could've been partly down to that. He then suggested that it would be different this time because of what DC has done since, yeah.

Wasn't trying to make more of it than there was. I was just mentioning it for the fact that someone close to DC basically said that Jones was in his head. I'm not sure I believe that has fully gone away.

Edit: exactly, Supremo. I agree.

• Paid Members

DC has even admitted he was far too emotional in that first fight and that Jones got to him. I think, despite the press conference, that DC will be different in the 2nd fight. I think how DC reacted in the press conference is just simply how he is. Despite being an analyst, he's pretty awful when it comes to verbal exchanges.

As mentioned earlier, i'm sticking a tenner on a DC/Cejudo double at 15/1.

• Paid Members

"I'm prepared to die to beat you on April 23rd" "Ok... Be prepared to do that". That exchange reminds me a wee bit of pre-Mania 17 when The Rock and Stone Cold did their sit down interview with JR.

Hopefully DC somehow manages to win, because this feud needs to continue for another year or 5.

• Paid Members

Much as I'd like it to be otherwise, you can see from their body language that Jones is in DC's head. Jones is sat calmly, open poise, always facing DC when he talks to him, looking him in the eyes, face not moving.

DC on the other hand sits hunched, arms folded almost defensively, moves his head a lot as if to physically aid his speech, and frequently looks at the interviewer as if for reassurance even when he's talking to Jones.

If I'm honest, I'm not the biggest fan of DC - he seems nice enough but a bit of frat boy douche on occasion - but I'd much rather him than Jon "Cunt" Jones. However, I really don't see DC figuring it out and getting Jones out of his head come fight night.

Worse still, I don't see anyone else in LHW or HW who can give Jones the stoving-in he deserves. I'd love to see him in there with Hunt, just to see him take a fucking battering, but I'm sure he'd still end up winning.

Rashad is picking D.C.

His take is quite interesting.

“I am going to go on record and I’m going to go with the upset on this one — I’m going to go with DC. For some reason I just feel like DC’s going to get this fight. I think that DC now is a better DC than the first time that Jon fought him. Also I think the layoff is not easy to come back from and Jon’s never really had to face this. So mentally going into the fight, there’s some things different. There’s some things different as far as USADA thing, and it just has a different feel. Mentally, coming into this fight, I think (Cormier) is in a different place. I’m a huge Jon Jones fan as far as his talent and everything in the Octagon, but I just worry that Jon under this new mindset, this new Jon Jones, is he going to still be able to go out there and do the things that we’ve seen him do so easily?”

Yeah I don't see it being a foregone conclusion. Jones has been out a while and has completely changed the winning recipe in terms of his physique. We just don't know how that might affect him, particularly in the latter rounds where he looked so comfortable in the last fight.

In the meantime, Cormier has bashed out two very impressive wins and looks an assured champ. If he can stay focussed on the task, show a bit more character and come up with a decent plan b, I give him half a chance. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I must say, I handled this terrible news like a zen master. I imagine mostly due to me making peace with the fact this incredible run of UFC shows was always going to fall apart. AKA love an injury.

I wonder if Jones will do a McGregor and fight anyway. I know he's said he still resents the UFC and what not, but it's a fairly solid way to get some good PR for a change.

Archived