When you realise you're getting old...

Mr.E

For the record, I don't class myself as "old" ,(I'm 28 this year for fuck sake), but I wanted to start this thread to ask if people have had similar experiences or just generally, "when you knew you weren't cool anymore". For me, it came early on as I had a kid at 22, so now at 28 she coming out with stuff that makes me feel ancient. 

On the other hand its mainly in the workplace:

Example 1: In chatting to a young trainee, I was trying to find some common ground. I found he likes video games, namely Pokemon. Success, thinks I, as Pokemon was my thing as a youngster and I know all about the first set of games. "I had Pokemon red", I proclaimed with glee. "Oh wow, I wasn't even born then!" shouts new trainee with huge amounts of laughter, and shame to myself.

Example 2 (and the most recent one): I work in IT support, and a friend of mine has taken over support of a companies surveillance system. Oh how we laughed when he told me they still record onto VHS tapes....and how we were shocked when somebody the age of 19, didn't know what a fucking VHS tape was.

There are tons more, (including getting overly hyped up over some sort of cleaning implement for the house, when as a teenager I would just totally ignore these things), so anybody else have any instances this has happened to them?

I work in University admissions. Every year I get to deal with a fresh batch of 18 year olds, so I get this a lot. Recent examples include...:

People applying for University this year who were born the year I took my A-levels.

Someone, in their personal statement, listing the 'classic rock' bands they like listening to, and including Oasis alongside Led Zep and Queen.

Reading applications from people called 'Courtney', 'Geri' and whoever else was popular in the late 90s.

Along the same lines as a VHS, someone asking on A-level results day what I meant by 'Could you fax it in to us?'

• Paid Members

Watching a parent trying to explain to their bemused child that a CD is used as a medium for listening to music with is a real kicker. The resurgence of vinyl must have blown their mind.

I've finally hit that stage where all teenagers look like pre-teens. Countless kids that look about 11 to me celebrating turning 18.

• Paid Members

I'm 33 and for the most part I've avoided feeling old, pretty much since I was doing my Masters when I realized the new first years were too young to have watched Transformers. That was disheartening but nothing since really has affected me.

However, last weekend I played football with a mate my own age, and he mentioned his neice via his sister who is only 1/2 years (I forget) older than us. The neice just turned 18. My mate's big sister has an 18 year old daughter. THAT made me feel about 50.

• Paid Members

Or 10ft of fallopian tubing and a skirting ladder!
I had to do that once. When I was a loungeboy at the Goblet pub in Dublin, the cunts sent me over to Macari's chipper to ask for that.

I just look at the fact that at 36, I have an arrogant 15 year old son who's going out with a 17 year old, lifting weights, wearing tight t-shirts and talking about jacking in playing football coz the rest of his team are shite.  

THAT is what's what, lemme tell ya!

• Paid Members

I'm 31 and feel so detached from modern culture.

I'm getting fed up of top level footie (still love lower league and international mind), because its overhyped and there's just too much money at the top of the game, don't like most new music and think modern celebrity culture is the spawn of the devil. There are just too many people these days whose only knowledge of current affairs would be dependant on one of the fucking Kardashians (why are they famous?) being involved somewhere.

• Paid Members

I'm 36 and I live in a country where no one even gets what I'm talking about half the time - my wife is 27, most of her mates are a couple of years younger. No one knows who Jim Bowen is, and none of them have ever heard of a scotch egg. Peter Kay would be living on the street within a month.

I'm 36 and I live in a country where no one even gets what I'm talking about half the time - my wife is 27, most of her mates are a couple of years younger. No one knows who Jim Bowen is, and none of them have ever heard of a scotch egg. Peter Kay would be living on the street within a month.

I used to live out in the country a bit, when I was 19, and it was hell. Being generally from a large town, and used to "city" life, it was a killer for me hanging out with people who had barely (or in some cases never) been to the next nearest town/city.

Not to mention the night life, jesus. The place had a night club, where all the local farmers offspring would go. I was the best looking person in there, and that isn't a good thing in my book.

See now, part of this is education. When I was a kid, my dad got me onto all good movies/TV and so on. 

Another example, with the pokemon lad, he overheard us doing line from "Life of Brian" and asked us what it was.He googled the movie, and said "oh....1979...that's a bit before my time, I wouldn't have seen that then".  Cheeky beggar, its around 9 years before my time but I've seen seen it as its a funny movie!

Archived