Father Ted star Frank Kelly dies aged 77

iamthedoctor

The actor Frank Kelly, best known for playing foul-mouthed priest Father Jack in Father Ted, has died at the age of 77.

Kelly was a veteran of stage and screen for 60 years, including stints on RTÉ's satirical show Hall's Pictorial Weekly and his much-loved, scene-stealing turn as Father Jack on Channel 4 sitcom Father Ted from 1995 to 1998.

He is survived by his wife of 51 years Bairbre, 7 children and 17 grandchildren. 

Kelly passed away exactly 18 years since the death of his Father Ted co-star Dermot Morgan, who also died on a Sunday. Dermot Morgan's son, Don Morgan, remarked on the coincidence in a tweet.

Ardal O'Hanlon, who played the gormless Father Dougal in the clerical sitcom, paid tribute to Kelly, calling him an all-round talent and an institution in Irish entertainment.

"Very sad news. We had lunch together at Christmas when he was in his usual feisty form," O'Hanlon said. "Frank was an all-round talent, an institution in Irish entertainment, a very determined professional and he'll be greatly missed by all who knew him."

Very Sad news to hear this. Father Ted was one of the best ever sitcoms out there. Loved that show when I was younger.

RIP.

I also had no idea that Dermot Morgan passed away until I saw the news article about Frank Kelly. Tragic.

He famously died just after they'd wrapped up Father Ted.  Incredibly sad that he never got to see its legacy.

As I remember the final series had not even aired when he died.

He died less then 24 hours after filming the final scenes of the series, was that always planned as the final series? or did it become the Final series because of his death?

• Paid Members

They'd decided to end it after three seasons, something the main cast of the show all agreed to.

I remember reading somewhere that during the filming of the final episode, he kept complaining of chest pains during the scene where he's dancing to Shaft, so they had to redo it several times. He died of a heart attack less than 24 hours later.

The writers said they had all kinds of offers from people to take over the role following the announcement of his death. This was before the third series had been broadcast so no-one knew it had been written as the final series.

It wouldn't have worked at all if they recast Ted, or even carried it on in any way. Having it end the way it did was perfect for it, and at 25 episodes it didn't outstay it's welcome

I went to school in St Margarets (Richmond, Twickenham) where Dermot lived. He was actually next door neighbour to a girl in my class. He used to say hello to us every day, every single day and have all the time in the world for us all.

A beautiful man, wonderful actor, I cried my little eyes out when he died, and I didn't cry over family members dying. He, and the programme means so much to me. It's cliche and trite, but it is like a warm duvet being pulled over you. Made with such love and warmth.

The writers said they had all kinds of offers from people to take over the role following the announcement of his death. This was before the third series had been broadcast so no-one knew it had been written as the final series.

It wouldn't have worked at all if they recast Ted, or even carried it on in any way. Having it end the way it did was perfect for it, and at 25 episodes it didn't outstay it's welcome

Should've done Father Ben as a stand alone episode ;)

Archived