Jackie Chan (not dead!)

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

So, there is a thread on the front page of Reddit atm about the shitty editing in Taken 3. One of the comments that was posted was this explanation about hwo to do it well, using Jackie Chan as the case study -

https://youtu.be/Z1PCtIaM_GQ

This was really cool. And it got me to thinking.. I haven't seen a lot of Jackie Chan's work, but I do like him in the stuff I have seen. So I thought I'd bring this to the fine people of the UKFF and ask for a recommendation.

Is there a consensus as to what his best work is? Is there a film that is a good place to start because it is more accessible / has perhaps dated better?

Funny he should be mentioned, my work colleague has just this minute been talking about how she bumped into him over the weekend in a small antiques shop in Tetsworth , a small village between Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire

Not really relevant to the conversation at all, but an odd place to bump into him

• Paid Members

If you can handle a few dodgy sweatshirts, then the 80s and early 90s are gold.

All three Police Stories, Wheels on Meals, Armor of God are all superb. Project A parts one and two aren't set in the modern day, but still have some of his best action work in.

Dragons Forever hasn't aged brilliantly for most of the comedy, but the finale is tremendous.

Phew, I thought he had died hen I saw this topic.

Ha.. i was legit panicking about that.

My personal fav movie of his was the original Drunken Master which was for some reason plopped into a dvd boxset of some real turds, he seemed to have mastered that style of martial arts comedy from the get-go. I'm gonna go watch it now actually as it's been a few years since i last did.

Rush Hour 1 and 2, Drunken Master 1 and 2 and Shanghai noon are his best movies in my opinion. Rumble in the Bronx and who am I are also fairly good.

He has also been in some proper pants stuff as well, but those ones are the best.

Funny he should be mentioned, my work colleague has just this minute been talking about how she bumped into him over the weekend in a small antiques shop in Tetsworth , a small village between Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire

Not really relevant to the conversation at all, but an odd place to bump into him

He's filming over here at the moment. In fact, he caused a "terror scare" by blowing up a double decker bus in central London. 

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/07/london-bus-explodes-during-filming-for-action-thriller

Some people!

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the accidental spy, but I might be the only person on earth who does as its decidedly mediocre.

I watched a police story, fairly modern but could say which in the series, the other year and just adored it.

Are the Rush Hour movies good? I fucking hate Chris Tucker.

Personally, I love them, with the dynamic being that Chris Tucker is an asshole and Jackie is the "straight man" sort of thing. The story of both of them are fairly good. The third one wasn't as good, but 1 and 2 are worth checking out.

As mentioned, you can't really go wrong with either of the first three Police Story films. The first one is near enough my favourite Hong Kong film. The sequels are really good and the ending of 3 is fucking insane. First one is always going to be one of those top ten films, though. Perfectly captures the dangerous who gives a fuck attitude to danger that make a lot of those films so appealing. 

Project A and Project A Part II are really good and between the two of them you've got Armor Of God. All worth seeing. All of'em vaguely similar for being bigger action adventure style pictures, but Project A I & II are period films with pirates and Armor Of God is a more modern, more of an Indiana Jones type of picture. Despite being so massive, again, they have that same sort of vibe that I love all those 80s Jackie Chan films for in that they feel legitimately dangerous and you get the feeling somebody could actually fucking die at any second, and he nearly did in Armor Of God.

The six of 'em are the absolutely essential Jackie Chan stuff, to me. I really go off him once the 90's hits but there's still a few gems all over his career. Miracles from 1989 is brilliant. Wheels On Meals is pretty highly regarded and has that classic trio of him, Yuen Baio and Sammo Hung. City Hunter is a divisive one and I can fully see why people would think it's absolute shit, but this is the first Jackie Chan film I ever saw (from a box set with island Of Fire and Master With Cracked Fingers) and still reckon it's a lot of fun. Probably not essential but there's that fantastic sequence with him playing Street Fighter characters in an arcade which is what it's most famous for. I've always thought it looked amazing too. Like it's the kind of film I could watch with the audio off and still like.

Archived