UKFF'er Dads.... help and advice

Drfunke

• Paid Members

Well, my wife gave birth to our second son just over 5 weeks ago, and she went through a shit load of coconut water. Coconut water is really good for them apparently? 

They lose so much fluid and she was guzzling that stuff back (and normal water) like there was no tomorrow. 

Also, despite me not doing it second time around, pack a bag of snacks for yourself as if it's a long night you may end up starving or having to eat the god awful hospital food.

Oh, and one more tip, if you end up leaving the birthing room at any point, cover your ears. ALWAYS cover your fucking ears. 

I got packed off home following our kid being born, as mentioned above due to being moved to a ward. The only problem was after being awake for around 2 days straight (false alarm the previous nights, then birth starting just before bed time on the final night), and having a bit of an issue with my sleep, the second I got home.......I ko'd and didn't wake up to the middle of the afternoon, thus getting in the bad books. "I'll be back at 9am", I said....I was not.

• Paid Members

We were fortunate enough to have a total pro of a midwife, who covered up for my awkwardness by giving me openings to be an actual contributory partner. Our daughter was born at half past 11, and they booted me out at about 1. Had about 6 hours sleep, then back into the hospital for the morning. Make the most of the sleep, you won't get that much uninterrupted for a while. Other than that, you'll be great, mainly because you don't really have a choice. Babies bring out the best in you, even if you're completely knackered.

• Paid Members

Someone mentioned classes earlier.

They're shite, don't bother with them, same as all the books. Best way is learn on the job and depend on google and youtube at 4 in the morning.

Your missus should pack the bag, only she will know what to take for her.

The rest would just be new born sized nappies and baby grows.

My job at both my girls' births was to make sure there was water readily available.

At the birth of my first I was told off by a midwife for not massaging my missus' back and stuff, I politely asked for a private word, explained the type of woman my wife was and to never talk like that to me again, and also to keep her wishy washy calming techniques to herself.

My wife was over the moon at that contribution to the birth.

Archived